Username Post: What do you think about orbs in photos?        (Topic#1583183)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

When we were on the haunted tour in Key West we were advised to take a lot of photos because orbs would show up in them and they said the orbs were ghosts or spirits. As much as I don't believe it, there were orbs in shots of areas said to be most haunted and not in my other photos. Kind of weird.

I took thousands of pictures after the ghost tour and not one orb again until...

We did the underground Seattle a few months ago which is said to be haunted. Who knows. But, orbs showed up in my photos again.

After the underground tour I took thousands of pictures around Seattle, Canada and all over, both inside and out and I have not gotten one more with orbs since the underground tour.

So what do you think?

To me it is almost too coincidental that only the places that we were told were haunted were the only ones where orbs showed up. And this is out of thousands of pictures!

Very curious!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Henri Jean

I wonder about that too...
especially since sometimes I see them in everyday pictures... but since our house isn't haunted, I can't imagine it to be true...

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Doreena

I always thought orbs were dust but it is kindof weird that they only show up in certain places. I'll be interested to hear about experiences and comments of others.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to wilbur

I just went through several hundred photos I have stored on the computer and found one more group with orbs. It is from the tour of the silver mines in Idaho - underground. A lot of men were killed in those mines.

The silver mine was damp and water leaks were dripping from the ceiling, same as the caves and caverns so everything was dusty and humid - no dust.

Checked other cave and cavern photos and no orbs. Checked all kinds of inside photos - restaurants and dark places with and without flashes - no orbs.

I don't know what to think - going to research it now.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Half of what I read said it was dust particles and the other half of what I read said it was paranormal. No idea.

Some of the sites said some were dust, some were paranomal and tried to explain how to tell them apart. I don't know. Just odd that the places that were said to be haunted or where people died were the only places I had pictures of them.

May be nothing or just coincidence but I'm curious.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK

That is weird. If it is dust why would it only be in the haunted places?

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to TraciK

I am not sure how I feel about it. I've had them show up in pictures where it's not a dusty area, as well, and my lens is clean. The most noteable one was in one of my Christmas shots that my gram took with her camera. She took several photos right before this one and nothing showed up. Then she took a pic of me sitting with my brother and there is a very noticeable orb right over my heart. I like to think it was my late husband paying a visit (he died in our home, and there have been several activities that are difficult to explain). Even if it wasn't, the idea of it gives me comfort, so that's good enough for me!

On a haunted tour of Williamsburg, they told us to take pictures around the jail and the Peyton Randolph house, as these are known as two of the more haunted areas. Orbs all over the pics near the jail, and none when we walked just 20 feet down the street. At the Peyton Randolph house, a red light showed up at the bottom of one of the windows. I later found out that this was the room said to be most haunted by one of the maids.

I believe in paranormal activity, but I also believe that some of us (including me on occasion) can read too much into these things. So, I'm still on the fence about orbs and what they mean.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to siameseplease

I'm also on the fence, but curious why they only show up in my photos of places said to be haunted. Sounds like your experiences have been similar.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

Not sure what to think about the orbs. But, I do remember reading where a young child had his picture taken and when developed (before digital)there was a white spot on one of his eyes. Later, the child was found to have a tumor behind that eye. When the doctor heard this, he said that was the first clue something was wrong with the child. He explained why it did like it did but that was a long time ago and I don't remember the details.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to 2xblessed

That white eye reflection, called leukocoria, is actually a fairly common first sign of retinoblastoma and other eye conditions. Nothing supernatural about it, and it can be observed by shining a light during an eye exam and doesn't require an actual photograph to be observed.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to aquabunny

Were the orbs like the one in this pic?

Son, Dog & ? By Pugs223

My practical side says it's just a bug or something. The side of me that believes in "ghost adventures" says, "Well we live in a 120 year old house that has been in the family for four generations and is directly across the road from a cememtery where several family members are buried so maybe someone is visiting."

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

They are really really round - perfectly shaped and more muted - or they are in mine. Some have cables or rocks or something behind them and you can see the item behind it - kind of like looking at something through velum.

It is more like a hazy perfectly round circle.

I would suggest that it is a light bouncing from the flash but that wouldn't be the right angle for that to happen. Could be dust or could be a light reflection from another source. Its hard to be sure becuase it hard to really see on the photo as far as the shape of it. But most of the pictures with "orbs" - they are somewhat translucent and completely round.

Diva

sorry...I dont believe in ghost at all!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

I didn't use flash, it was outside, sun was on the other side of the house so it's not light reflecting off anything that I can tell. You can also see the space between the boards on the porch between it.

Not saying it is an orb, just can't find explanation of what it is if it isn't an orb.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to pugs223

Henri, I've had those show up in my pictures... I never thought much about them, just thought that they were dust or a flash issue, until a few years ago at my ex-boyfriend's family Christmas. I took several pictures and there was an orb in all of them. His aunt was looking at them, and started crying, saying that was the spirit of my bf's mom (who had died several years previously). I'm not sure what I think of them now, but it is interesting to see where they pop up.

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty
In response to *jesse*

I don't know about the orbs in the photos, but I do fully believe in angels and ghosts, considering I have seen my grandmother twice, both times standing over my then newborn daughters in their cribs. She died of a brain tumor when my Mom was 8, and I was able to describe her dress perfectly to my mom, and there are no photos of her in the dress, yet it was one my mom knew as soon as I started to describe it.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to Scrappin Kitty

I can't remember ever seeing one in any of my pictures, although I might have dismissed them as a failure in the picture.
I have never been on ghost tours, just visited a couple of houses in the UK that were supposed to be haunted. In some of those houses I walked straight out, because I felt very uncomfortable.

I do have some strange pictures of my mum, taken just about six weeks before she died. When you compare her to other people in the same pictures, it seems she is fading or partially translucent. Although it is five years ago since she died, I still can't force myself looking at those pictures.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to elsje2

Right aquabunny! I didn't mean to say that was supernatural. I was just giving what little I know about white orbs.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to 2xblessed

Henri, can you post a couple of the pics? I have never seen it. Nothing has ever showed up in any of my pictures. But, I have never been to a place that was said to haunted.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to TraciK

Will post in a little while for you.

Just strange they have only shown up in mine where people have died or places said to be haunted. I didn't believe it at all when we did the haunted tour of Key West so I didn't keep them, thinking they were just ruined. Then when the "orbs" showed up in other picture and coincidently places said to be haunted just got me thinking.

Peg don't know what your's could be then. I took it to be an indoor photo with green carpet. Lord, need my eyes checked! I thought it was a wood-paneled inside wall.

As a realtor who used to show and sell a lot of houses on a few occasions I went into houses with buyers and turned around and walked right back out again. SOmething made the hair on the back of my neck stand up - I really felt a presence that wasn't friendly.

Talking to other realtors many of us have had this same feelings. All of us (8 or 10 of us) were sitting around talking and all of us had experienced it.

One woman, a friend I know to be completely sane experienced it 3 times and got away from the houses. Later she did research through micro fishe to check out old newspaper stories and found all 3 houses. ONe was a murder, one was a murder-suicide and the third was a house that was used for satanic worship an rituals as a church but had been closed down.

One of my friends bought a house and was doing a lot of remodeling on it at night to sell it again. He had his sawhorse and tools set up in the basement. One night he was there and heard someone call him name - a male whispering-type voice. He looked and couldn't find anyone but the tone and the fact he knew he was the only one in the house scared him and he got out.

Later he did a little digging around and found it the place of 3 violent deaths - a murder, a suicide and someone was hanged in the tree right outside the window of the above-ground basement.

So I don't know what is out there but I will quickly say there are things I do not understand. Too many unexplained things have happened and they are not all by crackpots. I just don't know if it is ghosts or energy or what it is, but I do belive something is going on. It may be perfectly well explained by science but to this point scientists seem as confused as I am.

The "orbs" are just curious to me. Don't know what to make of them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Okay - here are photos. In the first one you can see one major orb or something in the right side about half-way up. They know a lot of people died down here in early Seattle. There are also a few more in the same area but not as clear. They are somewhat transparent as you can see through them. At first I did not notice them but when I printed the picture it was too dark so I lightened a bit and then they were very noticeable. I look at the darker photos and I could see them, just didn't jump out at me as much as they did when I lightened the photo.

Orbs 1 By Henri Jean

Old silver mind - big one in the lower right corner and if you can see the two tracks for the mining cart one is a little ways from the bottom in the center of the tracks and one is a little higher on the photo on the right side of the tracks.

Smaller ones are floating around further back.

Orbs 2 By Henri Jean

One large one above the group of people's heads slightly to the almost directly above the head of the girl in pink.

Orbs 3 By Henri Jean

In this one there is a row of lights strung from one side to the other with something above the row of lights. This is a really large one and like the others, you can see through it like it is somewhat transparent.

Orbs 4 By Henri Jean

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Anyway, probably nothing but really wanted to see what everybody else though. There was no dust in the mine so I would rule out that theory but there may have been in underground Seattle but I just don't think that was it.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady

Very interesting Henri.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to NMlady

Thanks - I'm totally baffled. Don't know what to think they are.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

• Henri Jean Said:
As a realtor who used to show and sell a lot of houses on a few occasions I went into houses with buyers and turned around and walked right back out again. SOmething made the hair on the back of my neck stand up - I really felt a presence that wasn't friendly.

I had a similar experience at Clifford's Tower in York, Great Britain. I did NOT want to go inside based on just a gut feeling (and I didn't go inside, I waited outside). Weeks later I read about its history including a really awful tragedy. I am going to have to check my photos for orbs, but I never got very close. That place gave me the "heebie jeebies".

I got a laugh over the diffination of "heebie jeebies" so I had to share...

Heebie jeebies is an American English idiom used to describe depression or anxiety. This can be as an after-effect of excessive alcohol intake (see Delirium tremens) or to describe a particular type of anxiety usually related to a certain person or place. For example, "He gives me the heebie jeebies", meaning "He makes me uncomfortably nervous". It can also refer to a particular form of intense apprehension, verging on horror, that is associated with opiate withdrawal.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I have had this happen to me as well - when my daughter's Girl Scout troop took a trip to Savannah - we took a Haunted Tour walk and the guide was wonderful - she was a native to Savannah and a wealth of knowledge. Many great stories of happenings and history of Savannah. I took tons of pictures and many of them around town of certain homes, parks and cemeteries have orbs in them. So I completely believe about being able to capture energy!! Very interesting pictures you have!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SmartyPants

Interesting Smarty - do you get orbs on other pictures - especially at night or is it very odd, like it was for me?

Geliday - interesting description of "heebie jeebies" but I know exactly what you mean.

When something is wrong like that the air actually feels heavy to me and I just cannot go inside.

I didn't have any feelings of being uncomfortalbe at all in the mine or underground Seattle or even on the ghost tour.

In the next couple weeks I'll be posting my Key West ghost tour layouts and Robert the Haunted doll and his story. All the orbs in the photos were around houses and cemeteries and I thought they were ruined because of the orbs so I deleted them. Now I wish I had them still.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK

Wow! Thanks for posting!

Als_Gal
Guru
Als_Gal
In response to TraciK

I have taken numerous pictures with Orbs and everytime I asked about them on Ghoststudy dot com a really good paranormnal website I was told they were just dust. Well I thought ok just dust until I found out that my apartment was haunted and that someone died in the upstairs unit and that the whole building was hanunted did I think it was more then just dust.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Als_Gal

Very interesting. Do get the orbs just in your apartment or other places as well? Mine were just in the photos of places where people had died. Not one orb in other photos. Coincidence? No idea.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I can't see your photos Henri. But Peg's is a good one.

We went to Phuket before and after the tsunami which swept away so many people to their deaths. We befriended the owner of a beach cafe/restaurant.

DH's parents took photos of her with them on the visit before the tragedy and after, and the photos taken after were absolutely teeming with orbs - maybe 25 in one shot, some overlapping. None in the first visit. Same place, same camera, same people, 2 years apart. Yes it could have been dust, or bugs. At a stretch.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants

I've only seen the orbs in those pictures that were taken in and around Savannah! I thought it was quite cool to see.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SmartyPants

So interesting Rosey. After the Tsunami my nephew volunteered to go to Sri Lanka to work in the orphanages to help take care of the children and help identify them and locate their parents.

He very often goes in after natural disasters like that, rolls up his sleeves and does volunteers.

After Katrina he went to New Orleans with a mobile soup kitchen and worked for 2 weeks serving food and helping people.

He worked for Lockheed and gets a limited amount of vacation time every year which he uses to visit family. When he works overtime he doesn't get overtime pay - he gets comp time off.

So he saves that up and when there is a serious natural disaster he gives his comp time and goes and helps. He really rolls up his sleeves and gets in there and works.

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat

Darn it!!!! missed the photos!

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to laceyKat

Your nephew sounds like a wonderful person, Henri!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to laceyKat

I'll repost the photos later. I took them down becuase they were in the middle of a series of layouts in my gallery but I guess I took them down too early.

I usually take down photos if they will make no sense to people who look through my gallery and those would have made no sense in the middle of Epcot layouts.

Will try to repost tonight but may be tomorrow.

Als_Gal
Guru
Als_Gal

When I lived in my apartment we got them in every picture we took no matter whose camera we used. Here is a picture that was taken in my apartment and in this one you can see our male "ghost" Ashlee said was named George.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/K_A_M/Gho stly/gh...

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to Als_Gal

I am a total believer that many orbs are someone from the other side making contact. I have had a number of relatives die since 2000, some were very close to me, but I have never had any orbs in any photos that I am aware of. I do take tons of photos and do not always print them out immediately. I believe in ghosts as well as other supernatural things. There can be more than one right answer to many questions in life
Cool pic of George! Did you ever investigate who he was?
I'm gonna have to come back and see your pics Henri, I always love a good story with pic!

Als_Gal
Guru
Als_Gal
In response to catzscrapper

• catzscrapper Said:
I am a total believer that many orbs are someone from the other side making contact. I have had a number of relatives die since 2000, some were very close to me, but I have never had any orbs in any photos that I am aware of. I do take tons of photos and do not always print them out immediately. I believe in ghosts as well as other supernatural things. There can be more than one right answer to many questions in life
I'm gonna have to come back and see your pics Henri, I always love a good story with pic!

A friend of mine who is very gifted said that the building we used to live in was built upon a ley line which is essentially haunted grounds. She said George used to live there in the 1800's with a lady called Miss T. George took a liking to Ashlee and she always talked about him and how he loved to come and watch her play. He never really bothered until the one day I took her to walmart and she kept saying George wants to go home and I said when we are done we will leave. Well at that point she was pushed and almost fell down the escalator if not for a older man who caught her she may have been seriously hurt. I left the cart and took her home when we got home she said George was sorry but he wanted to come home and watch tv with her. I will look for the picture I have of her sitting on the Couch and right next to her you can see the outline of someone sitting right by her.

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to Als_Gal

OHHHHHH!!!!! I look forward to seeing it!!! great pick of George in the first picture. Thanks sooooo much for sharing!!!! I love hearing about ghosts!! I have not been fortunate to have seen one yet, but i do belieive in such things.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Als_Gal

• Als_Gal Said:
  • catzscrapper Said:

A friend of mine who is very gifted said that the building we used to live in was built upon a ley line which is essentially haunted grounds. She said George used to live there in the 1800's with a lady called Miss T. George took a liking to Ashlee and she always talked about him and how he loved to come and watch her play. He never really bothered until the one day I took her to walmart and she kept saying George wants to go home and I said when we are done we will leave. Well at that point she was pushed and almost fell down the escalator if not for a older man who caught her she may have been seriously hurt. I left the cart and took her home when we got home she said George was sorry but he wanted to come home and watch tv with her. I will look for the picture I have of her sitting on the Couch and right next to her you can see the outline of someone sitting right by her.

Yikes that is scary! My sister swears that she has had a couple of encounters with ghost. One ghost really scared her a couple of times. She lived in an old apartment at the time. She said it was a old man.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to TraciK

In the top of this photo all the way in the left is a bright light. Below that is a horozontal row of bright lights. Between the one at the top and the row is an orb. You can see through it and it is not a reflection. Thisi place was not conducive to dust.

Orb 1 By Henri Jean

This one shows a group of people on the left - it is in one of the silver mines in Wallace, Idaho. THe girl on the end has on a pink blouise or sweater and the orb is above her head.

Orb 2 By Henri Jean

This shows 3 orbs in the silver mine - all in the lower right part of the picture. There is a track where the cars they used in the mine used to run - One is in the track between the two rails and two of the orbs are to the right of the track near the bottom.

Orb 3 By Henri Jean

This was taken in Underground Seattle which is haunted enough for them to have ghost stories on the late tours. People died or were killed down here. There are 3 clear orbs on the lower right side of the picture.

Orb 4 By Henri Jean

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Bill's brother has several rental houses. The last tenants moved out becuase the woman swears something got in the shower with her. She was afraid to go back in the shower again and afraid to be in the house when her husband wasn't home.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

The father-in-law of one of my best friends spent his last weeks in a hospice facility. The nurses used to fuss at him becuase he insisted on smoking his pipe - it had a very distictive cherry woodsy smell to it. The nurses were all in his room and had to tell him to put out his pipe over and over.

About a year later his wife became ill and was put in the same nursing home in the same room or one near it. One of the nurses was in the room one day with her and was shocked to smell the cherry woodsy pipe smell and called the other nurses to the room to ask them what they smelled and they all smelled her husband's pipe. They all think he was in that room constantly during her stay until she died.

After that the pipe smell went away.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper

How Cool, tho George needed a good talking to for pushing Ashlee!!
Awesome pics Henri! I lived near Seattle since I was born and never went on the underground tours, tho I loved the Kolchak the Night Stalker episode with the Seattle underground in it!
My Boyfriend has seen ghosts before but gets weirded out talking about it. I have seen my Parents and other relatives who are gone in my dreams before. I was told by a dream reader that my Folks were just letting me know they were OK and together(That was shown by them being together and Happy in the dream) I had suspected that was what the dream meant, but wanted verification from an outside source. It was kind of cool to talk with somebody who 'knew' things I never said, details about my Mom and Dad and other relatives whom had visited me. She even told me that I had health troubles that ended up being true because of things in my dreams.
Thank You everyone for sharing your stories and pics! This is an awesome thread!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

If you ever do the underground tour be sure to do the later night ones. We took the 6:00 which was nice but very "family friendly". We didn't realize that the ones 8:30 and after, maybe its 8:00 and after allows no one under 21 and they talk a lot more about the madams and prostitution that is really what kept Seattle afloat in the early days and they also tell some of the ghost stories about the underground that would scare children.

I really wish we had waited around for the later tour!

New Kid On the Block

I have had experiences with orbs. One time in paarticular brought out a bunch of them. We were in the process of building our home and my husband had to climb a ladder to reach the 16 ft. ceilings. He has always been afraid of heights and said outloud that he hoped he'd be safe. I took a picture of him on the ladder and there were tons of orbs around him. We thought that was odd, so I had him stand on the ground and I took another picture. There were fewer orbs, but they were still there. He then took a picture of me in the exact same spot and there were no orbs to be seen. The only conclusion we could make was that since I was nice and calm, I didn't need any orbs hanging around me while he did!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SuScraps

That really is odd.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper

Thanks for the info Henri. I live on the other side of the state now so will probly never go back over there. But if the opportunity came I would go and do the tour now that I know all this! I have never been one to mess with the dead, just out of respect for them. But I had a friend who told me a story about drinking in a cemetery with friends and he told me they were drunk and did some inappropriate actions and then things started disappearing...cigarettes, lighters, different things that they could not explain and they decided they had messed with somebody who was upset about it. They went back the next day to find things they had lost and more things disappeared on them. At that time they went back to the grave they had disrespected and apologized. I mean it is kind of funny, but at the same time, just because someone is dead does not mean they are not aware of bad things said or bad things done to their space. But he also told me he has not and will never underestimate the fact that a person can still teach a lesson from beyond the grave! The same person also told me that he was told when in a cemetery, if you say the name(s) of people in the graves out loud, you 'awaken' them. So being the big chicken I am, I do not read names there out loud any more!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

When we were in Key West we visited Robert, the haunted doll. A long story goes with Robert and I scrapped it and will post it in the next week or two.

If you take his photo you have to ask him nicely and you have to be polite to him. One wall of the museum is covered with letters from people who wrote to apologize to him for not being nice to him or taking his picture without permission and then found their cars wouldn't start, car keys were missing, hotel keys missing, banking errors, got in accidents - all kinds of things.

Hundreds of letters said their lives have been cursed after being rude to him and asked him to forgive him. Strange but made for an interesting story and the letters were interesting.

I was with a friend and she is very intelligent. She is an engineer for a major oil company and works in an oil plant - often being there along and running the entire facility by herself - all the big equpment and gauges. A miscalculation on her part could cause the plant to blow up. So she is no dummy - but she took pictures of Robert when I did.

We then went to a souvenir store at Mallory Square and they had beautiful hand-blown glass Christmas ornaments. Just lovely, so delicate. I was walking behind her down the isle and I do not believe she touched any of the ornaments. But, one jumped off the rack right at her feet. She is not a clumsy person but the ornament fell and I don't see how she could have knocked it off.

She felt terrible and insisted that she pay for it. Then as we were exiting the store, it happened again. I don't see how she could have knocked it off either.

I teased her and asked her if she was nice to Robert and thanked him for letting her take his picture. She said she thanked him in her mind.

I told her that maybe Robert wasn't a mind reader.

Anyway, I've teased her about it since then. I'm sure she accidently knocked the ornaments off the display but I don't know how. Other people, some of them very large were going up and down the isle and not bothering the ornaments, there is no reason why she would have.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics