Username Post: lettering dies        (Topic#1583201)
New Kid On the Block

Hi Everyone
I'm new to scrapbooking and am just about to buy a Happycut machine which takes pretty much all other makes of die. I really want to buy some lettering dies but can't seem to find any except the Memory Box classic. Anybody know of some others I could try? Thanks

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to cindy lalani

I have never heard of a happycut machine so take anything I say with that in mind. LOL. Sizzix used to sell tons of alphabet dies in both their originals line and sizzlits (smaller dies). Check out their website and ebay. You might find something!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to siameseplease

Exactly what she said - Sizzix has made lots of nice alphabets in the Sizzlits and Originals lines, and also a few in the Bigz and Decorative Strips lines as well. Not sure what search term you're using that isn't bringing up Sizzix as a result - they have been selling dies at the consumer level for at least ten years and remain a major player. Another brand to consider is QuicKutz/Lifestyle Crafts (they're the same company, but it recently had a name change).

Okay, disregard large portions of that. By Googling "Happycut" I was able to find a product description that lists what it's compatible with, which will give you a list of brand names to start searching for. The Sizzix Bigz and Originals I mentioned will NOT work with it, and even the Sizzlits will require buying an additional plate.

"Each machine is supplied with four plates, and embossing mat and can be used straight out of the box with Quickutz, Jeart, Joycraft, Marianne Designs, Nellie Snellan, Go Kreate and Spellbinders dies. If you have a collection of Provocraft (Cuttlebug) dies and embossing folders or Sizzix dies you will need the SP plate which we can supply when you buy the machine. This machine cannot be used with the thick Sizzix dies or Marianne Designs Cut and Emboss folders."

The only brands of immediately compatible dies I'm familiar with are Quickutz and Spellbinders, and I don't think Spellbinders makes alphabets.

New Kid On the Block
In response to siameseplease

Thanks so much Gina. Now I'm going to ask what will seem like a stupid question to you I'm sure - just remember I'm a novice! With the decorative strip dies can you cut letters indidually or do you have to cut the whole strip out? If so - what if you want to do indivudal letters of your phrase in different colours or you need more than one of certain letters? Thanks in advance for your help.

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

Thanks Aquabunny - maybe the Happycut isn't such a good idea - I'm so confused. I've read soooooo many reviews and can't decide which machine to get anymore. I thought the Happycut was a good idea since it will take A4 size sheets and is a pretty good price - in the UK anyway. I just want a good basic machine that will allow me to cut and emboss - not necessarily A4 size - and one in which I can use most makes of die. What do you use? Various people have suggested cuttlebug, grand calibre, Big shot and lately others are saying go electronic with cricut or sizzix....agh - help!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

You do have to cut the whole strip in one pass, but I typically cut small pieces of paper to cover just the letters I need. If I need more than one of a letter, I just do a second run with new bits of paper, same as I would if I had individual dies for each letter.

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

Oh OK I get it - thanks so much for your help.
Now I just need to work out which ones to get to go with which machine! Like you said there are loads to choose from.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to aquabunny

I really like my Big Shot - it'll cut pretty much everything except the largest of the Grand Nestabilities dies. The Grand Calibur will cut those, but won't cut any of the thicker dies. The electronic machines are also good, can cut in a variety of sizes, and will generally cost less in the long run, but many of the Sizzix alphabet dies are available cheaply on eBay (especially if you go for the Sizzlit dies).

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to aquabunny

Another big shot vote!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to binkiemonstermom

I vote for Big Shot too.

On the Cheery Lynn there are some of the larger dies that will not go in the Big Shot - when I look at their website and see the really expensive ones it usually says next to it that they won't work with the Big Shot. I really wanted some of the dies too.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean

If the machine you're looking at works with Quickutz, then you can use their alphabets. Try looking under their new name (Lifestyle Crafts) for more options...

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to traceyjean

I am a big fan of Spellbinders and have a Grand Calibur, but I'm not crazy in-love with their alpaha dies and they don't dont have a lot of choices, maybe one they the will. I plan to get Quikutz or Cheery Lynn or some others, they aren't cheap tho and I'm unsure of what style and size to invest in first so I keep dragging my feet.

I guess when I see a LO on here and I like the font and size, I should message that person to see what they used if they didn't list it.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to traceyjean

I would protect my Sizzix BigKick with my life! That's my vote for the BigKick/BigShot. (Really? They had to release twins? lol)

traceyjean- thanks for linking those alphabets!!! I love that 'lollipop' one even tho I hate its name. I've gotta get it.

I only have two alpha dies- both are from Tim Holtz- I really love the 'Alphabetical' one-

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 12-06-12 09:12 AM
In response to designguyKORY

I vote for Lifestyle Crafts (formerly Quickutz).

I have two of the Quickutz Revolutions and one of the Epics.

The Epic can cut almost any die.

I originally picked QK years ago because I liked their fonts. I own quite a few alphas from them and use them all the time.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-06-12 09:28 AM
In response to GMFTS

Die-Versions has a lot of letter dies as well.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• designguyKORY Said:
traceyjean- thanks for linking those alphabets!!! I love that 'lollipop' one even tho I hate its name. I've gotta get it.

Kory! There's an uppercase version of it called High Rise, though I haven't seen it here on sb.com. Want 'em both. Wanted Parade and Jump Rope for a while, but got over it. It's funny, I also have the old Sizzix alphabet called Lollipop, which is completely different - QuicKutz Lollipop reminds me more of Sizzix Limelight.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to aquabunny

I'll hafta check it out!

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works for you and recommend a Cuttlebug, made by Provocraft. I have had mine for 4 years and I absolutely love it. It takes dies from most systems (only the enormous ones don't fit) and the embossing folders are to die for.

I can honestly say I use mine on practically every project, and it is small enough to be transported easily to crops. I'm in the UK too.

Good luck with your choice!

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to RedSquirrel

I have a machine problem; I own several. If you're wanting to stay with a manual machine, I'm another vote for the Big Shot. It's really versatile.

I think QuicKutz has the best apha dies.... my favorites are my Heidi Swapp alpha and Washington.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to *jesse*

I vote BigShot as well....I love mine
and I also agree that the QuicKutz/Lifestyle Crafts alpha dies are the best, IMO....

Some of their older ones are really cute too...you should check Ebay or places like that cause QuicKutz used to do a lot of limited edition alphas that aren't made anymore but you might find them on Ebay....

Alison

Diva
In response to kiyawinn

Happycuts? Never heard of it. WHere did you find it?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to bayamonesa1

Happycut appears to be from the UK or maybe elsewhere in Europe - all the websites I found when I Googled it were definitely UK-centric.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to aquabunny

I go with the Sizzix alphabet sets. They come with small sizzlits sets of either 35 or 9 dies. There's a large variety of the 35-die sets, which would have one letter on each die, plus numbers and punctuation. The 9-die sets have several letters on each die, so the letters are smaller.

You can get them on ebay, but expect to pay at least $25 (and up) which would include shipping, for the 35-die sets, less for the 9-die sets. Some of them come with the "Sidekick" which is a really small manual cutting machine that works nicely with the small sizzlits dies.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to Solitaire

The Quickuts is the ones I know best. They come in many many many different styles and are, concidering how many dies you get for it, relatively cheap. Quickuts was taken over by Lifestyle Crafts. Theie dies are thin but do take the DCWV cardstocks well. Have a browse on eBay on both names, lots will pop up.

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-14-12 09:46 AM
In response to kiyawinn

I vote for die versions

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

I love my Big Shot as well. You are lucky to find scrapping. it is amazing. I still love it as much as I did when I started

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics