Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: GRRRRRR....printer issues.        (Topic#1583203)
shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse

We have been having so many printer issues in our house this year. Kodak as replaced our printer and print head at least 6 times since Oct 2011 and now I can't print anything that has the color yellow in it. We bought the new cartridge Nov 17 (wrote it down this time to see how long it would last) and it says it is still full. I have all these great Christmas cut outs and can't print them. The everything green turns out blue and anything yellow doesn't show up.

I have my new printer picked out, going back to HP, but I can't get it till after the first of the year.

Sorry all I just had to vent.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to shortmouse

What a pain for you! Its miserable when anything electronic or digital doesn't work - cameras failing on trips, printers, computer, interent down, phones not working.

I think they are going to get me a HP photo printer for Christmas. I have a nice laser printer but a photo printer would be nice.

Is the technology or are the inks with laserjet and photo printing different? I'm not really clear on that.

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty
In response to Henri Jean

I have a Kodak printer as well, and this thing SUCKS!! I got it last year for Christmas, and have had so many issues with it that I'm ready to chunk it.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Scrappin Kitty

Ohhh that sucks!
Sorry to hear that...
Kodak used to be a reputable brand!

I have an HP Photosmart Premium printer that I bought from Amazon and I LOVE IT!!
If you're in the market for a new printer I suggest an HP Photosmart printer!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

• Henri Jean Said:
What a pain for you! Its miserable when anything electronic or digital doesn't work - cameras failing on trips, printers, computer, interent down, phones not working.

I think they are going to get me a HP photo printer for Christmas. I have a nice laser printer but a photo printer would be nice.

Is the technology or are the inks with laserjet and photo printing different? I'm not really clear on that.

Henri I've never had a laser printer but my HP Photo printer (inkjet) takes 5 inks....cyan, magenta, yellow....as well as the regular black and a "photo black"....
You can usually buy them in a package cheaper than buying them individually.
My photos come out SOOOO much better since getting the photo printer. It is well worth it!

Alison

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to kiyawinn

laser printers use toner instead of ink and there is a heating component in a laser printer for the toner powder to adhere to the paper....

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to HisGEM

I have a Kodak printer too and it's awful. Kodak already replaced the printer head three times and I've had it. I was going to get a printer on black friday but I waited too long and missed out. Still going to get one for myself for Christmas.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to fknapoleon

Sorry to hear about your printer problems. I have a Kodak all in one printer. I never had any really problems with mines. I had it for three years. I am thinking of buying a photo printer just for my photos in the future and using my Kodak for just everyday use. I am looking at the Canon 900 Mark II. Since they print up to I think it is 11x19 size I want to say. But it expensive so going to wait on that.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to justartguy007

Thanks for explaining the difference between laser and printer made for photos. Makes sense.

The one I want is at Staples - really nice HP.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl

For photos, go Epson. You cannot go wrong with them.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to angie girl

I was thinking of going the Epson route for a photo printer. I want one that will be good quality and print good photos?

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 12-07-12 04:55 AM
In response to justartguy007

Hugs. That's so annoying.

I use an Epson printer and am very happy with it. The ink cartridges get expensive though.

Diva
In response to IzzyB

Sorry for all your torbles witht he pritner. I ahve been using HP for a while and never had the ARGGGGGGGGGGG moment! They are not perfect but it has been good to me!

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to bayamonesa1

Use to have an HP it broke down after five years of good service. Decided to go the Kodak way when they advertised cheaper ink. I figured Kodak and good prints would go hand and hand. I was never happy with how pictures turned out. Now the ink in comparable to most all other printers. I am going back to HP have the one I want already picked out but want to give the grand-babies a good Christmas. Found a office supply store in town that if I bring my own card stock in will print for me at 29ยข a piece.

OlesyaK.
Idol
OlesyaK.

• Henri Jean Said:

I'm getting one too!! Yay for us Henri!
We have a retired office laser printer, super cheap for black & white and color pages, but it doesn't do a good job on the color photos - not at all! Yes I did get a pack of laser photo paper (a rare rare thing by the way), but the colors still look flat.
The lasers seal the color with heat, that's the main difference. inkjets don't. So you can't use glossy photo paper made for inkjet in the laser, since it will not tolerate the heat, or so I understand))
I have my eye on the canon though..

OlesyaK.
Idol
OlesyaK.
In response to OlesyaK.

Okay here's the question for photo printer owners: I'm deciding on what to buy by looking at the price of the printer AND the price of the cartridge. Some of the Canons have a single color cartridge while others have different colors. What's better? i'm thinking, one is cheaper. On the other hand, if say I print tons of yellow and the yellow runs out, i could just replace one out of five instead of replacing the whole set? what do you think?

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to OlesyaK.

Henri think you would like an epson better if you are printing your pictures at home.....my hp doesn't print nearly as nice as my old epson does.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

I am sorry you are having so many problems. I am glad you are going to be able to get a new one. I hope this month goes fast.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
Okay here's the question for photo printer owners: I'm deciding on what to buy by looking at the price of the printer AND the price of the cartridge. Some of the Canons have a single color cartridge while others have different colors. What's better? i'm thinking, one is cheaper. On the other hand, if say I print tons of yellow and the yellow runs out, i could just replace one out of five instead of replacing the whole set? what do you think?

In my experience, it has always been better to get a printer with separate ink cartridges.
Especially for printing photos, they are way better with a photo printer (and most of the specific photo printers have separate ink, I believe)....
I can't vouch for it but HP states that they have the cheapest ink per page....
I've had HP printers and Epson printers....can't say I have a favourite. I think they both make good printers.

Alison

reneeann
Veteran
reneeann

I feel for ya, hate it when printer acts up.
HP printers seem to be the best.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics