Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Tags for packages        (Topic#1583215)
meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser

I started to make some tags for a few packages for special people this year, but then I remembered that those special people didn't even really look at the tag, they just opened the present and threw all the wrapping and ribbons and tags away.

No tags for me this year

Does anyone else make tags? If you do, how do you get people to LOOK at them?

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to meezerpleaser

I did, once. Stopped, for exactly the reason you mention.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Megan - ForumTech

When I do make tags for gifts- I always make a big deal out of demanding that everyone look at the tag and then I shout, "NOW ADMIRE IT!"

But this kind of behavior suits my personality, and people think it's funny- it might come off as rude for your present-receivers. lol

-kory

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

Yeah...it's a waste!
I don't even use bows on presents anymore. They get gift bags or wrapping paper w/ a stick-on tag...nothing more!
I'm not wasting my time on things that go unappreciated.
That's also why I don't make homemade cards.
People, me included, just throw cards away these days.
I don't remember the last time I even gave someone a store bought card...unless I needed it to hold money or a GC.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to designguyKORY

• designguyKORY Said:
When I do make tags for gifts- I always make a big deal out of demanding that everyone look at the tag and then I shout, "NOW ADMIRE IT!"

But this kind of behavior suits my personality, and people think it's funny- it might come off as rude for your present-receivers. lol

-kory

LOL! Like your style! Whatever works, right?!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I make tags, but my mom has been making gift tags for so long - literally decades - that my side of the family is well-trained to look at the tags and carefully remove them before opening. In part, this is because the really nice tags get rescued and re-used again in the future.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to aquabunny

I'm more like Kory. When I make a nice tag, I'm kinda loud and proud. Make them look at it and say how awesome it is. They do laugh, but that's how I am.

I do make some that are pretty basic and plain to use too. I don't buy tags. I make all of them.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to SherylEb

I make some fresh tags every year for my family and good friends. I love, love, love a well dressed present, so I don't mind. My friends know I scrap and always seem to notice them. Many times I will put a sticky note on the back so they can reuse them.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to 950nancy

Couple of years ago I made fancy wraps for small gifts to grand-neices with their names die cut on the front. They were just torn up and discarded by their mother.

I spend a lot of hours creating special greeting cards. On some of them,I have incorporated photos of the recipient on the front of the card. That way, it's sure to get their attention and they will want to keep the card.

For example, on the last card I made, I placed a photo inside the screen of a TV die cut, and added a die cut of a remote pointing to it.

You could try adding a photo to the back of your tags.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Solitaire

I make tags. Some gift recipients notice and appreciate them, while others don't. Since I photograph and blog what I make, there are a lot of people who actually appreciate handmade tags that get to see them and compliment me on them. So that more than makes up for the in-person people who may not appreciate them.

Cindy

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to cindy312

I do but have limited people I give them to... My Boyfriend always appreciates them and compliments me on them! I also make them for the Pet gifts, which I carefully save and scrap with their pictures. The only other people I give to are people I do not know- Giving Tree kind of gifts and There is always a name so I make tags to go with them and make them all fancy and sparkly as they are always for children. I also like to make tags that are for other people to use for their gift giving- The local Hospital has a gift shop and they love handmade things like that to sell, I decorate those well too and they are always gone by New Years Day when I collect whatever did not go. (They do not have storage so need people to clear stuff out after each holiday) I know the proceeds from their sales go back into the hospital to help with people who cannot afford their care. Anybody who might have a local hospital might want to check and see if their gift shop can use neat things like cards and tags to help out. I do have a blast making tags tho and giving them away too. Some may not be appreciated but I am sure most are!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to catzscrapper

I still make them but mostly because I can never find any in the stores that I like. I usually keep mine extremely simple though and crank them out by the dozen. They're still beautiful but I don't expect anyone to go ga-ga over them. I love present wrapping and big bows and pretty tags so I just enjoy that part of Christmas for me. I learned a long time ago that some people just don't pay attention to the details like I do. I would love it if someone made a pretty tag for me!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to olleharr

I haven't made tags yet....not sure about that one
I just started making cards last year.
My mom and my DH always admire my cards and give compliments but I have a sister who has never acknowledged a card or even the mini book of recipes I made for her daughter, my niece....
Some people either don't notice or are just rude I guess!

Alison

Diva
In response to kiyawinn

I managed to make everyone to look at the tags and to love the ribbon. My sister in law is one that keeps the ribbons for ricycling next year in her tree. So my case is different. They look forward everyyear to find out my "theme" for the tags, ribbons and gifts. I don't buy gifts, they are all handmade, mainly scrapbooks for everyone.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bayamonesa1

All excellent comments.

I completely agree that most people don't pay attention, so why bother? I also do what Kory mentioned.

I often make tags out of old Christmas cards. I keep the cards from previous year, and punch out a design from the card.

It's unique, but doesn't take much effort.

A few years ago, I began making my own bows. I make a big deal out of them, and tend to go around after opening, and pick up the discarded ones.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

A little off-topic... I made a tag for my niece when she left for college.

It was pretty large with her name on it, chipboard, Mod Podge, lots of details and embellishments... She said, "Oh, I'll put in my luggage."

Ohhh kay....

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel
In response to olleharr

• Quote:
I still make them but mostly because I can never find any in the stores that I like. I usually keep mine extremely simple though and crank them out by the dozen. They're still beautiful but I don't expect anyone to go ga-ga over them. I love present wrapping and big bows and pretty tags so I just enjoy that part of Christmas for me. I learned a long time ago that some people just don't pay attention to the details like I do. I would love it if someone made a pretty tag for me!

What Lisa said
I decided to mass produce tags mainly because the tags I like in the store are SO EXPENSIVE. It seemed like a waste of $$ when I have so much stuff to make them with. As long as they are simple and able to be mass produced I dont mind if they barely get noticed and just get tossed. I will be glad I didnt spend lots of money on them and even if I am the only one who notices them, it will make me happy to see them on packages. I'll probably take a picture of the packaging before I give them to anyone too

Edited by rebeccakeppel on 12-07-12 10:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to rebeccakeppel

I make tons of tags and cards.

Because I LOVE making them.

Once they leave my hands I don't give a rip what other people do with them.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
I did, once. Stopped, for exactly the reason you mention.

I did it for about 3 years and stopped, too

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to terrihooper

I do make all my cards I bought a stamp recently that says "Don't you dare throw this away!" I LOVE IT and am going to use it!
I may make tags again this year. Not sure-- I made cookie dough for my friends and need to put the instructions for baking the cookies on something--

I once had a person not really even look at the card I made for their birthday and then immediately throw it away while I was sitting there. REALLY? I would never do that!

I also agree that I make cards and stuff because I enjoy it, so I TRY to not care what is done with it once it leaves my hands.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics