Username Post: Camera question        (Topic#1583223)
Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy

Hi! I have a Cannon Rebel T1I camera that I am loving and learning new things about each time I use it. My question is...does this camera require any "maintenance" like lens cleaning, etc. Does it need to be taken to a camera shop for anything to be done to it?

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Vintageivy

I have a T3i. It is self cleaning, but if you take it places that dirt likes to hang out like hiking, boating, sporting events etc, you should take it and they will let you know if it needs it. My last camera, another Rebel, went three years before it needed it.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 12-07-12 04:53 AM
In response to 950nancy

In general, it won't need maintenance unless you use it somewhere particularly dusty and windy. Make sure you have a lens filter on, though, to protect your lenses.

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel
In response to IzzyB

If you notice specks of dust or hair in your photos then it needs to be cleaned professionally. Otherwise they dont recommend having it done. If you put a UV filter on your lens that should protect it and then you can clean the filter without worrying about scratching your lens.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Vintageivy

• Vintageivy Said:
Hi! I have a Cannon Rebel T1I camera that I am loving and learning new things about each time I use it. My question is...does this camera require any "maintenance" like lens cleaning, etc. Does it need to be taken to a camera shop for anything to be done to it?

Most of the cleaning you can do yourself. Lenses will need to be cleaned. The front element will probably need it pretty often and the rest of the outside of the lens will probably need to be cleaned once a year or so, depending on how often you use your camera. The rest of your camera... the cleaner you keep the body the less chance their is for gunk to get in when you change the lens. I clean the outside of my body a couple of times a year. Stuff builds up in the texture of the grip and around the buttons.

The sensor may need to be cleaned at some point in time if you get dust in there. I'm on my second DSLR since 2005 and have never had to have a camera sensor cleaned and I live in a dry, dusty place. But I know others who have many problems with dust on their sensor who live in varying climates... bottom line is that some people have lots of dust issues and some don't.

If you run into a problem with dust on your sensor there are several very easy steps you can take that may clear up the problem without ever having to actually touch the sensor. If those don't work you can take it to a shop and have it cleaned.

#1 rule... never use canned air on your camera. Invest in a rocket blower.

This link from KEH.com shows a little about cleaning the outside of your camera..
http://www.kehblog.com/2010/06/cleaning-grip s.html
http://www.kehblog.com/2010/02/keeping-thing s-clean.htm...

On UV filters. Skip them. They can cause problems with flare, problems with ghosting in night shots, and will generally degrade your contrast and sharpness. They also often trap dust between the filter and the lens. If you want to protect your front element from physical damage get a lens hood. I pulled the UV filters off my lenses when I went digital in '05. I'm not particularly careful, I wipe them off with my t-shirt often. And I've never scratched a lens this way.

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-14-12 10:07 AM
In response to photo_chick

I can only recommend the Canon G12. For me, it's the ultimate allrounder camera and the colours are stunning.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics