Username Post: CUBE users my open cubes do not hold 12x12 stuff HELP        (Topic#1583229)
anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

Hi guys. dh just put together the only open cube that Mikes had which was the 6 cubes piece. The insides are only 11.25x11.25 so they do not hold anything 12x12. my other paper holders are big enough. I thought all of the cubes went together. These are much smaller & the other reg size one will not stack on these because of size.
cube users what do you use for your albums,artbin boxes etc? Are there other brand ones that are open that will work together? are they bigger? These won't even hold my 8x11 idea binders which I have lots.

Edited by anda11 on 12-06-12 11:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 12-07-12 05:28 AM
In response to anda11

Linda - lucky for me I had realized before buying those cubes that they are too small - and so are a lot of scrapbook storage products.

I don't have a solution for you unfortunately but I do have a recommendation - bring a tape measure with you when you shop to be sure that the size is right. I ended up with some open totes from Home Goods that were barely big enough - and it only took about 3 years to find them.
My cs lives in a Crop in Style tote bag.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to anda11

I use a jetmax cube from Ms to store my paper and I use another two to store office supplies (my craft room is also our office and son's school room)....
My artbin and Iris containers are on an ikea bookcase and albums are on an Expedit shelf from Ikea....the Expedit system holds 12x12 perfectly..
I forget what the bookcase name is but it is tall with 2 fixed shelves and 4 adjustable shelves and the depth is just deep enough for the iris containers.

I wasn't aware that the open cubes are not 12x12....the ones I have with dividers fit my paper....can you take the ones you got, back?

Paper Storage By Kiyawinn

Alison

Diva
In response to kiyawinn

SOrry about all the trouble you went thru with the cubes.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bayamonesa1

That stinks.

Where these specifically marketed for "scrapbooking," or just "crafts"?

I agree with the other comments.

I have a tape measure in my purse. INVALUABLE! I use it all the time.

The problem with taking them back, is that the dimensions probably were noted on the box.

They likely *are* 12x12"... OD... but ID is 11 1/4"

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to Bxr-Linda

The wire cubes I bought at Target work perfectly...I would have thought all the cube systems would have been the same size...bummer!!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to bigredssw

These were the cubes in the Michaels scrap section. They have lots of different ones. different drawer ones, paper shelves etc. They all stack together no matter which piece you have. They are all the exact same size on the outside so they all stack together. This was on the same shelf next to drawer ones that I bought too. They are much smaller & won't stack together. They are definately scrapbook. lol
I have seen people who have open cubes in their room so I know they made them. I do think that it used to be that they only sold the open ones for yrs.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to anda11

I know people have gotten them at Target too as well as Hobby lobby. They all stack together too. Hob lob has some open ones too. they are individual & the dimensioins are the same size as the drawers I bought there so I can get some there. I also see that the paper shelf ones that I bought, the shelves are removable so I can use them for open ones thanks fully. I bought 3 sets of those smaller ones so I have to return 2 now. lol replace them with shelf ones
I was just surprised.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to anda11

They were probably 12" x 12" on the OUTSIDE. When you subtract the thickness of the plastic, then it's less than 12" inside.

Can you return the cubes? They might take them back but charge a restocking fee.

Better get the storage containers that hold 6 boxes. I have one of those and it works quite well for storing 12" x 12" paper.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Solitaire

• Solitaire Said:
They were probably 12" x 12" on the OUTSIDE. When you subtract the thickness of the plastic, then it's less than 12" inside.

Can you return the cubes? They might take them back but charge a restocking fee.

Better get the storage containers that hold 6 boxes. I have one of those and it works quite well for storing 12" x 12" paper.

That's what I said!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to anda11

Bummer! I would have thought it would fit too. Thanks for sharing with us. Maybe save someone else from doing the same thing

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to kiyawinn

You know, I was looking at the jetmax items at M's this week and love how you can select cubes you want and put them together. My only disappointment is that they are white and all of my furniture in my office is black. I sure wish they made this line in black. I guess I could paint or alter it with paper but, ugh, I have way too many projects going on around here as it is.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to kiyawinn

Whoops.

Edited by CrimsonMama on 12-08-12 08:32 AM. Reason for edit: duplicate post

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to CrimsonMama

• CrimsonMama Said:
You know, I was looking at the jetmax items at M's this week and love how you can select cubes you want and put them together. My only disappointment is that they are white and all of my furniture in my office is black. I sure wish they made this line in black. I guess I could paint or alter it with paper but, ugh, I have way too many projects going on around here as it is.

HL has them in black

Gloria Hidalgo
Resident
Gloria Hidalgo
In response to anda11

I'm sorry to hear about the cube situation. I use the IKEA Expedit Shelving units they are the best very sturdy and reasonable in price. If you view my scrapbook room you can get an idea. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Gloria Hidalgo

• Gloria Hidalgo Said:
I'm sorry to hear about the cube situation. I use the IKEA Expedit Shelving units they are the best very sturdy and reasonable in price. If you view my scrapbook room you can get an idea. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

I love your room Gloria. lol I figured out that I can use the paper shelf ones for open ones for notebooks etc. I found cute pink fabric cubes at Wallys that fit into the squares I bought for 4 bucks. They hold so much so I am glad I have them now. lol I have a counter that I keep my albums on now on the other side of the room that I brought. I hope to get an expedit to replace it later. so it will hold all my future albums & photos & my memorabilia boxes that are on the counter now.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to anda11

thanks everyone.:) I realized that I can use the paper shelf ones cause the shelves remove. I can get open ones at hobby lobby too that are the same size as drawers.
GREAT NEWS- I found cute pink fabric bins that go in the cubes for 4 bucks at wallys. They hold sooo much. I am so happy to have found them. They also have small pink fabric bins that fit on top for 2 bucks. they hold so much too. I am so happy that I got them. I may keep them now. lol Mikes has a 90 day return thankfully.
I want to get an expedit for the other side of the room in the future. I brought a counter that I was using to store my photo boxes & albums & memorabilia boxes too. And my genealogy stuff. Then it will have extra shelves to hold future albums.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to anda11

Oh that sucks - but glad you found something else that works though. The expedits are GREAT - I even put my 12x12 scrapbooks inside them.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to Mama2Thomas

• Mama2Thomas Said:
Oh that sucks - but glad you found something else that works though. The expedits are GREAT - I even put my 12x12 scrapbooks inside them.

I have loved them for years but my scrap room was all built ins so this is the first time I will be able to use an expedit.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics