Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Encouragement for basic, classic scrappers like me!        (Topic#1583255)
mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'

I have loved this website for years now and admired the amazing artists and their work. I began scrapbooking with Creative Memories using clean lines, some printed paper, stickers, borders...you know! I have tried to create some pages using the buttons, beads, glitter,feathers, flowers, etc and I just do not the the panache that so many of the talented designers have on this sight. It was not only disastrous but also very discouraging. So, about a month ago I gave in and realized that I will always be a classic, basic scrapbooker. My family and friends love my books and they are now fun again to create. I am totally in awe and have total admiration for all of you AWESOMELY TALENTED artists that can take mixed media creativity to the limit, but I am
enjoying scrapbooking again, realizing that "less" is OK, too! It's our hobby to love and enjoy!

Edited by mj scrappin' on 12-08-12 05:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 12-08-12 03:50 PM
In response to mj scrappin'

I am right there with you. I actually stopped scrapping I think about 3 years ago, because I was trying to myself a scrapper that I wasn't. I joined challenges here to help motivate my and push me. However, the very thing that was suppose to help me ended up making scrapping a chore, so I stopped. I just started up again and while I am participating in some challenges I am being very careful about what I join.

If it isn't fun, it isn't a hobby, it's a task.

I joined this little "challenge" http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15829... It's more of a sharing group, no pressures. Might be one to look into next month??

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to KimKV

I am also part of the VLB (Very Laid Back Challenge) group and it is awesome.

I am not a fancy or detailed scrapper. 95% of my layouts, maybe more are travel layouts. I journal a lot for those and keep my lines clean and simple with multiple photos per page.

I am not a designer like some here. There are some designer pages that should be hanging in nice frames on the wall, not packed away in a scrapbook - they are that good.

I realized that most of the pages I really loved were digital and I cannot get that level of perfection with paper and trimmer, nor can I keep changing everything and trying different color mats, letters and patterns. It's not possible.

So I look at the digital as beautiful pages but I accept that mine aren't going to be that perfect. I also accept that mine aren't going to be a detailed and perfect as the designers pages - that isn't me.

My goal is to make an attractive presentation of my travel pages for my husband and me to enjoy when we are too old to travel. I know we won't remember every little detail so I've put them on the pages - every statue and building and what we did that day.

I don't put any pressure on me to make perfect pages, I make pages that are fun for me to make and that I think look nice. I'm not an artist and its isn't fun when I try to push myself to be.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Henri Jean

I don't scrap too much anymore; I tend to make cards more than anything else. When I do make a LO, I'm one of those scrappers who layers a lot and throws every embellishment I can think of on the page. That said, I think the clean and simple style is actually very eye-catching. I love the classic look with clean lines. I find it hard to achieve, but I totally admire those pages just as much as any others. Keep it up!

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to siameseplease

I am right in the middle, I think. I scrap semi-weekly at my Creative Memories consultant's house with a few of her friends, and all three of them are still striclty CM "photo, border, sticker, journal" scrappers. They get like 8-10 pages done to my 2. They think my pages are nice, and creative, but that I don't journal enough. I think lots of people I have met at CM events just want to get their pics on a page, like they are racing time, or each other.

I take a lot of pics of each event, and don;t like to edit...What if I forget that look on his face, or how his hair stood up in a babyhawk, or how he changed minute by minute? So I want as many pics on a page as poss in a pretty LO that is interesting, innovative, and uses the many tools I have collected.

I am not a fan of the feathers, flowers, lumpy bumpy, pearly, layered pages that are better displayed in a shadow box for depth. Thats too fussy for me. I mostly scrap my son and activities we have done, so trucks, balls n dirt are main topics. Lace doesn't fit in my pages very well. I guess I like clean simple lines, with lots of technique and color, but without fabric and fibers. I plan to pack a lot of pages in my albums, so they need to be on the flat side. Although I do layer papers and use foam squares to lift elements for SOME dimension!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Juansmom

When people want to get into scrapbooking, they always ask me, where do I start or what can I do? You can DO anything!!! clean and simple or great detailed layers!! I enjoy looking at both types of layouts. I hope no one ever feels discouraged!!! Scrapbooking is supposed to be fun and relaxing!! Do what you like!!! I always encourage people to try something new, but if isn't your style....don't stress!!!!!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• mj scrappin' Said:
I have loved this website for years now and admired the amazing artists and their work. I began scrapbooking with Creative Memories using clean lines, some printed paper, stickers, borders...you know! I have tried to create some pages using the buttons, beads, glitter,feathers, flowers, etc and I just do not the the panache that so many of the talented designers have on this sight. It was not only disastrous but also very discouraging. So, about a month ago I gave in and realized that I will always be a classic, basic scrapbooker. My family and friends love my books and they are now fun again to create. I am totally in awe and have total admiration for all of you AWESOMELY TALENTED artists that can take mixed media creativity to the limit, but I am
enjoying scrapbooking again, realizing that "less" is OK, too! It's our hobby to love and enjoy!

THIS!

My layouts tend to be very plain and low key. I've learned to live with that. My family prefers plain to "poofy" (probably because they are mostly males, I don't know). Bottom line, I just enjoy putting together layouts and frankly, even the simple ones are as challenging to me as the more layered ones. The simple ones, however, seem to be the most fun for me.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Luvmyfam

I'm similar to Chris, I think....
I am not a vintage or "pile on the lace and buttons" type of scrapper....While I admire the talent some of those "shabby chic" pages with tons of elements take, that's just not me!

I like some embellishment, I like some colour mixed with neutrals but not too many colours on a page, I like techniques and I like dimension to my pages but I don't use tons of anything.....
I was introduced to scrapbooking by die-hard Creative Memories scrappers...one of them still scraps that way and seems mostly interested in getting all her photos in a book...the other friend has actually moved on to digital scrapping because she still wants to document her life but isn't into the "arty, creative" stuff...she prefers doing it all on the computer.
I, however, absolutely love the creativity of it all......I love playing with different patterns, colours, techniques, getting my hands in the gesso and paint (tastefully, of course! LOL)....
I have a boy so I don't use a lot of flowers but I add the odd one (made out of burlap or jean or masculine pattern paper..LOL)
Everyone is different!
Alison

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to kiyawinn

I think that partly it depends on your reasons for scrapping. Originally my reason was getting all my photos into albums, telling the story, recording the facts etc and CM type pages were effective, quick to do and they achieved that goal but (to me) looked somewhat functional. Gradually I moved away from that and I found that scrapbooking was becoming a creative outlet. I stopped having 'being up to date' as a goal, I stopped working chronologically I just picked random photos I liked, I barely journaled etc etc....I just wanted to make nice pictures/art.

So I guess it's each to their own There's no right or wrong, no good or bad just what each person wants to achieve, what they enjoy and so on.

I'm glad you're back in the groove and are enjoying your scrapping again - that's what it's all about

TJCraftyWitch
Governor
TJCraftyWitch
In response to scrappercaz

I can't really add too much more to what these creative lovely ladies have wrote.

Scrapping is an individual style, some are simple and clean, others add dimension to them with flat embellishments, while other add the lumpy style. Me it depends on my mood really. I do add embellishments alot. But thats just me. My style is eclectic. Little of this and that.

Resident
In response to TJCraftyWitch

I love the big heavy mized media pages... mists paint, chipboard, flowers, sprays and anything else I can paint with gesso and put on a page is fair game to me... but in the same respect... I CAN NOT MAKE A SIMPLE PAGE to save my life.. those of you that can mat and double mat photos have a nice perftectly striaght title and a few embellishments placed in just the right spot that it looks classy and well done floor me... no matter ho many times I try it just doesnt happen

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to TJCraftyWitch

Carolyn hit on a very good point. How you scrap largely depends on why you scrap.

For some it is a creative and artisitic outlet which is accomplished in both digi and paper/trimmer. Some pick and choose what they want to scrap. Others scrap everything - and like me, chronologically.

Several years ago I mentioned that I was caught up. I thought I was going to get my head cut off - I was told about how when you are caught up with your scrapping it means you aren't living anymore. People asked why I would want to be caught up. I had to defend myself and felt like I had to explain why that was important to me. Comes down to the fact that people scrap for different reasons.

It goes back to the reason I scrap. To record all my trips and the details so my husband and I can relive them all when we get older. When we look at a picture in a restaurant I want to know who is with us or what we ordered if it was outstanding because that is a memory that we may forget when we get older. I am scrapping so we can relive this stage of our lives again.

Alzheimers runs in my family and and in my husbands family. If our memories start going, I want our lives to be documented in pictures and stories.

My son wants all my books someday and I hope my granddaughter will really get to know Bill and me through my books. It is an entire library and that is okay.

I also hope she will learn from them. She will learn about the Valley of the Kings in Egypt and the temples in India and how they worshiped. She will learn about the statues and monuments in Italy learn about crocodiles and how the mother crocodile buries her eggs and sleeps with her head on the mound of eggs so she can hear the babies when they are ready to hatch and dig them up. And all about the protection programs for baby sea turtles.

She will even learn what Nike missiles are.

But mostly, she will learn who Bill and I were and what made us laugh and how we lived our lives.

Judi (Mrs. Driver) has said something several times that I like. She says that when people look at her books she wants them to know the story in the pictures without standing over their shoulders and explaining everything. I like that.

Back to the point - I feel like my pages are way below the creativity or artististic level of most of the people here. Mine just aren't fancy. But I like them just fine.

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24

I think scraping is such an individual journey. Everyone does it for their own reasons. I do a little of both ways depending on what I am talking about..I have 3 daughters, they look at the scrapbook pages and remember things I had forgotten. I keep a little card in the back of the sheet to add if I want. I too want my grandchildren to remember and have fond memories of Grammy and Papaw

happywhenscrappin
Guru
happywhenscrappin

i see alot of pages with negative space and they look wonderful. when i go to try i always end up using every spot on the page. i keep attempting this(i think it is my ongoing challenge). On one of my LO i will prevail.

sabine
sabine 
Idol
sabine
In response to happywhenscrappin

I kinda did a full circle. I started out the CM way with simple but cute layouts. Once I came here, I took up stamping and sewing and I went a bit overboard with it. I look at some of my albums now and shake my head at how much stamping I did on certain layouts. Nowadays, I simplified it again. I still stamp and sew and add bling, but I don't go crazy with it. It never hurts to experiment and you just have to find your own style and see what works for you.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 12-09-12 11:36 AM
In response to happywhenscrappin

I have also started not printing every single picture I take of an event or whatever the pictures are are of. I go through pick the best ones or the ones that tell the best parts of the story. Then all of the pictures go on CD'. I have two large cropper hopper photo storage cases full of left over pictures from stuff I have already scrapped. Plus a smaller one with pictures I wanted to scrap. I look at some of them now and think why? The more pictures I print the more stressed I am...and like we have all said it's suppose to be fun.

I also can't mix pattern papers to save my life! I am most jealous of people that can do that. I can do it with the kits, but I'm talking about the people that don't need a kit.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I just did a somewhat basic book for my mom. I desided that at 86 she would not appreciate distressing and ink sprays, etc. I enjoyed doing that.

But I love spending two or three days on a grunge themed LO for me!

I love it both ways.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-09-12 05:48 PM
In response to CrimsonMama

I actually don't like a lot of the designer layouts - they're just way too over the top with embellishments that don't seem to relate to the subject. I like lots of photos, I like journalling and titles, and I like embellishments to be in the background and support the 'story' of the pics and journalling.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom

• Henri Jean Said:

It goes back to the reason I scrap. To record all my trips and the details so my husband and I can relive them all when we get older. When we look at a picture in a restaurant I want to know who is with us or what we ordered if it was outstanding because that is a memory that we may forget when we get older. I am scrapping so we can relive this stage of our lives again.

Alzheimers runs in my family and and in my husbands family. If our memories start going, I want our lives to be documented in pictures and stories.

My son wants all my books someday and I hope my granddaughter will really get to know Bill and me through my books. It is an entire library and that is okay.

I also hope she will learn from them. She will learn about the Valley of the Kings in Egypt and the temples in India and how they worshiped. She will learn about the statues and monuments in Italy learn about crocodiles and how the mother crocodile buries her eggs and sleeps with her head on the mound of eggs so she can hear the babies when they are ready to hatch and dig them up. And all about the protection programs for baby sea turtles.

She will even learn what Nike missiles are.

But mostly, she will learn who Bill and I were and what made us laugh and how we lived our lives.

Judi (Mrs. Driver) has said something several times that I like. She says that when people look at her books she wants them to know the story in the pictures without standing over their shoulders and explaining everything. I like that.

Henri, usually your posts have me laughing out loud, but this one was so touching, I really have a tear in my eye!! Lovely thoughts for your granddaughter!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Juansmom

Thank you Chris. I never thought about it before but I don't scrap for just me. I scrap for my husband because the books are for our old age. And I'm scrapping for my kids and I am scrapping for my granddaughter.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics