Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Paper Stacks        (Topic#1583269)
New Kid On the Block

I usually organize my supplies by color, including my paper. Recently I have been buying more paper stacks and am wondering if I should leave them or take apart. For those who use paper stacks, do you take them apart or keep together? If you keep them assembled, when you need paper do you look through all of your stacks for something to match?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to AllBoys4Babs

I typically leave them together. The solid-colored stacks (like the Neutrals stack below) go on one shelf of the metal rack where I keep my solid cardstocks and one-predominant-color papers (though stripes/dots/plaids go elsewhere, regardless of color). I pull those stacks out when my search for a specific color elsewhere has failed me.

The themed stacks go on a shelf in a different rack with the rest of my paper in that theme. For example, the Snack Stack below would go with the rest of my food and cooking papers, while Tattered Time sits on one shelf with the Timeless Type stack, as they coordinate decently together and make up the entirety of my vintage-style papers. The major exception to this for me is the DCWV Photo Real stacks, in which the papers aren't meant to coordinate with each other, so those I do take apart and categorize to be filed with the rest of the papers from the various themes.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-09-12 03:15 PM
In response to aquabunny

I take them apart and keep all my paper organized by color, theme, and pattern.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I buy lots of stacks and leave them together because they are already matched by theme and are coordinated to go together. I've seen other people say they tear them apart. I don't think that would work for me. Mine are standing like books on a shelf where I can rifle through them easy. My single sheet paper and packs are in two of these cropper hoppers on the same shelves. I also do not pull apart coordinated packs.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to CrimsonMama

Currently, I am working from two milk crates of paper, sorted by ROYGBIV, then by theme. Most of the stacks are themed anyway, Holiday, Food, boys, dogs, Romance, etc. I keep them together until they are falling apart (as I rip the pages to use) and then they get sorted by color. But since implementing this system in November, I have bought about 6 more stacks, and some don't fit any category so far. I will just put them in "cardstock" for now!! When I am searching for a particular paper, I go to color first, then look at the stacks individually. Since I am a Got-a-little compared to some on this forum, I still have a general idea what is in each stack and can find stuff pretty easily!

leslief
Idol
leslief

I keep the stacks together. It makes it easier for me when I need a few coordinating prints.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit

I keep the stacks together because the papers are all coordinate, plus many of them also have coordinated tags, borders and frames. Once a stack has been used to the point of still having only a few sheets, they can be separated and incorporated into the rest of my cardstock using the ROYGBIV organization system.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Ms. Fit

Speaking for myself, I don't really adhere strictly to ROYGBIV - I combine orange and yellow into one group and eschew indigo as a separate group entirely. I also typically keep pink with purple instead of red, and put vellums, glitter papers, and other specialty papers in a separate section regardless of color. What I do adhere strictly to are the categories I keep my themed and patterned papers sorted by.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I take them apart the day I get them - otherwise I would never use them.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Henri Jean

I really think it depends on how you scrap.

In my case, I tend to scrap by both color & theme.

In the past, I have taken almost all of my paper packs apart, but I regret doing so.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd keep them together & would also store them that way.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

A happy medium might be to take one (file it by color) and keep one (remaining in the stack).

Some of the larger stacks have 4 of the same, so you could do 2 (stay in the stack) and 2 (go to file).

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to KellyCali

I usually leave mine altogether as most times they are co-ordinated by both color and theme. I guess it's whatever works the best for you

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to SandraB.

Mine have to stay together, a lot of the stacks have solid sheets to match the patterned ones and if I'd take them apart I'd forever be looking for just the right one to match.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to ChansGram

I keep everything together in it's origional packaging. If I buy by the sheet, patterned paper is sorted by theme. Cardstock I always by loose by the sheet and I seperate that by color.

I'm not great at matching patterned papers from different lines yet so when I buy a patterned paper stack I keep it together so it's easier to keep that line of paper together and am assured those patterned papers will match each other.

But eveyone is different and I hope you get some good ideas and figure out a system that works for you.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Cindyckj

My stacks stay intact too. It's just easier for me to co-ordinate the colours and patterns, since they are already designed to work together.

My single sheets are by colour, kind of, but not in rainbow order. Rainbows don't have brown or pink, metallics, black or white. I put them in the order that the colours tone. Many are hard to categorise. The papers which don't have a predominant colour are all together in a different bag.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to RedSquirrel

My stacks stay together too.

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to prittb

I keep mine together because they're already coordinated and I tend to mix a few different patterns on a LO so having them color coordinated is a great plus for me. Also, when I have scraps left over, I put them in a page protector with the paper pack so when I need just a little piece to coordinate, it's easy to find instead of having to cut up a new 12 x 12.

If I buy single sheets of paper, I make it a point to buy a few sheets from the same collection for the same reason.

When I first started out, I bought single papers and now they're all in a cropper hopper and I almost never go there to get paper. That just doesn't work for the way I scrap.

Diva
In response to provinca

Solid colors I organized them by colors but the patterned pats, Keep them together. Works for me.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to bayamonesa1

Guess I don't have that problem because I don't purchase the stacks. I tend to have too many pages "left over" that I don't like and won't use when I get stacks. I do like the idea of the colors being pre-matched, but after weighing how many sheets were ending up never used, I decided it wasn't really money-wise for me.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to dwelch

I keep them together too.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics