Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Card Donations Anyone?        (Topic#1583299)
Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

I love to make cards, but I don't know enough people for all the cards that I make. After all, we don't have several birthdays per year, or more than one Valentine's Day...lol So, if you donate your cards, I'd love it if you could share the website, or snail mail and the name of the charity or company so I can start donating to them as well.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to Crafting Marfa

SEnd them to our troops. That's what I do with anything that I get like that. Our troops need mementos like that to know we are thinking about them. You can go to your local recruiting center to find out where you can send all of your extra cards to random soldiers. Some places will even let you drop them off there and they will mail them for you.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Lunareclipse

That is the best idea I've ever heard! The servicepeople overseas appreciate anything from home.

Side story - I met a woman on a military flight - they were a retired couple like us and she was talking telling us about her brand new grandaugther and how her daugter met her husband.

Ann Landers or Dear Abby - one of the sisters had a campaign to send cards to soldiers overseas and she didn't know that her daughter sent one. Nor did she know a pen pal friendship started.

When he was sent stateside her daughter and a friend went to meet him, without her mother knowning but it wasn't far. Her mother never would have let her drive 4 or 5 hours to meet some soldier she had been writing to.

Anyway, she said her daughter and the soldier she sent the card to had been married for 8 years now and had 2 children and now a brand new little one. Said they loved their son-in-law and were so glad their daughter sent that Christmas card.

armygirl
Diva
armygirl
In response to Henri Jean

Henri, that is such a lovely story.

I agree that the service Men and women are greatful for the cards they recieve. My Niece was in Iraq and everytime she got something from anyone home, she was Super happy. The soldiers also need blank cards with envelopes to send greetings to their families back home in the states.
My Niece is married to her soldier and he is to be deployed for the third time. They have a little baby girl who is 6 months old. I feel sad that little Abrie will be away from her Papa for so long.
Sorry for my rambling and getting off the subject of the extra cards.

scrappindmbfan
Diva
scrappindmbfan
In response to armygirl

I donate/make cards for From our Hearts. They send BLANK premade cards to the troops so they can send them home to their loved ones. They're so appreciated and the woman who runs the organization is awesome.

If you want more info you can google it or feel free to PM me.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 12-11-12 03:22 PM
In response to scrappindmbfan

You can always go to a local nursing home and get names for residents who never get mail. You could also drop them off there for delivery and save postage costs. I worked in activities in a nursing home and they so appreciate a card from anyone.

Oue senior citizens need remembering too.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to charK

A really great place to send your cards to is
Operationwritehome.org
You can look them up. They have a great website and often include some sketches and sometimes have nice contests with good prizes for those who send cards.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I send my cards to operationwritehome.org ant to card care connection both are wonderful places to send your cards too.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to thehappyscrapper8

• thehappyscrapper8 Said:
I send my cards to operationwritehome.org ant to card care connection both are wonderful places to send your cards too.

OWH is a great place to send cards to but make sure you read the guidelines before sending anything in. The have to be regular A2 size, not too dimensional and no glitter unless its sealed in (DCWV or stickles is fine).

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

I have donated to the troops for many years.
another person here collects cards for a kids camp. I think it is randasue

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to anda11

It is randasue here is the post she posted

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15820...

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to anda11

Thank you for all the replies. I did know about donating to soldiers, which I already do. But I was hoping to find other charities that perhaps dont receive as many card donations. i love the nursing homes idea. The kids camp sounds great too! Thsnk you so much!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper

i'll have to get over my shy mode and ask the nursing home not far from my house if I can hand out cards.
i did belong to a note card exchange but two have dropped out and one has passed on, so our little group is smaller than before and i'm not sure they'll be that much interest over time; i guess i'll have to wait and see.
OWH has a lot of rules and i like to make my cards different sizes and orientations. so i'm not sure they'd be a great fit for me but it is a good organization

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to cescrapper

I did the kids camp (randasue) last summer and have 20 made so far for the 2013 summer camp. It is a great way for me to use up my scraps.

scarlet864
Veteran
scarlet864
In response to prittb

Check with your local senior center. Mine likes to receive cards to include with the meals they deliver to seniors who live alone.

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to scarlet864

There is another post in the forums titled "cards for kids" (Topic#1582001).....these are cards for battered and abused children

The more the merrier!

Addendum:
Nevermind, I jumped the gun and posted before realizing someone else already posted about the cards for kids.

Edited by pamela.tx on 12-12-12 02:37 PM. Reason for edit: jumped the gun before reading all posts

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to pamela.tx

Call your local Ronald McDonald house I know they love if you do birth announcements and birthdays things like that since parents are stuck there without access to things to send out when they have a child sick.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Sneezy1956

I had mentioned OWH, but I also create for Randasue and her camp for abused children. The great thing about donating them there is that they can be absolutely ANY size and they do not require envelopes. It is a very wonderful way to use up scraps and small bits of paper, lace, stickers, you name it! If you need help with the address, you can PM me.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to pinkpaperairedale

In addition to our continuing thoughts & prayers...

If you would like to mail sympathy cards, postcards or letters of support, even teddy bears for the children and solidarity to the school, the school address :

Sandy Hook Elementary School
12 Dickenson Drive
Sandy Hook, CT 06482

★ Please copy/paste/share widely. Sending a card is something small, but at least it's something we can do! ♥

Veteran
In response to KellyCali

I ALSO MAKE CARDS FOR THE ABUSED KIDS CAMP.THIS WILL BE YEAR NUMBER THREE.IT IS SO REWARDING.MY TOPS GROUP MAKES CARDS 3 TIMES A YEAR FOR A LOCAL NURSING HOME.I USUALLY TAKE ONE OF MY GRANDCHILDREN AND WE PASS THEM OUT TO THE RESIDENTS.THEY ARE SO GRATEFUL SOMEONE REMEMBERS THEM AND THEY LOVE SEEING THE KIDS.IT ALSO TEACHES MY LITTLE ONES ABOUT COMPASSION FOR OTHER S.THE KIDS REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO HELPING.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics