Username Post: Jewelry Makers        (Topic#1583313)
2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

Anyone else out there who makes jewelry? Does anyon e know of a site like scrapbook.com only for jewelry makers? I would love to swap ideas and tips with fellow-jewelry makers!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-12-12 09:21 AM
In response to 2xblessed

I make jewelry. Or at least I can, lol, it's been a while since I've done anything. Depends on what materials and what level of skill you're interested in. I've had some professional training so my jewelry is largely precious metals and gemstones - for instance, I made our wedding rings, platinum and 18K gold, and I set the diamond. And I also do more funky artsy jewelry - I love pairing unusual items like plastic pencil toppers and game pieces with precious metals and gems. I've participated in ganoksin.com in the past, but it's really for professionals and very serious hobbyists so I'm kinda guessing it's not what you're looking for. For more crafty-type jewelry you might want to check out craftster. I'm sure there other sites, but I've just been more interested in talking about scrapping lately. If you post questions here I'll certainly respond

Edited by stick on 12-12-12 09:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to stick

lol, I am not a professional by any stretch of the imagination! What I am looking for is a site that is geared towards that are just starting all the way to the semi-professional and all those between. I am been making jewelry for about 3 years and have sold a few pieces. I am dying to work with semi-precious stones. But, at this point I can't afford to invest in them until I have had more experience and maybe a class or two. Thanks for responding. Would love to see some of your work if you would like to share.

Expert
In response to stick

I make jewerly but not professional type things like Stick. I have made beaded bracelets, necklaces, pendants and that type of things. I recently just make a few resin pendants. If you ever want to chat, PM me!

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to scrappy_day

I make some too but certainly nothing professional! LOL! I do sell some pieces though. I mostly work with beads, chain, and jumprings. I just like to fiddle. I know how to solder but don't have the equipment at home, so I don't work with that much. Just at my local craft store. I am also willing to discuss jewelry and answer questions if I can. I'm at work right now, but maybe later I can post a picture or two of things I have made.
I have heard of craftster but never really been there. Etsy also has a forum section you could check out.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to Babylou

Jodee, I have a shop on etsy, which right now is empty. I am thinking about refilling it after the first of the year. Trouble is there are so many other jewelry makers on there. I have to slash prices to the point I am not making a dime. It wasn't worth the effort. People don't understand what goes into any handmade item. Kind of frustrating!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-12-12 09:46 PM
In response to 2xblessed

And that is exactly the reason I don't like to sell my jewelry. Too many people want discount prices, or custom work for practically nothing. Major pain in the butt. MAJOR!!! So, I am exclusive to the point of anonymity. Which is fine, I'm not in it for the money or fame, it's a creative outlet.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to 2xblessed

I used to go to this store when I lived on the other side of the state. They are so fantastic with ideas and help with jewelery questions, just great people to talk to. It would be a 7-ish hour drive now, but they are great over the phone too and have the most fantastic beads!
Link
I don't think they have a forum tho, but I thought maybe you could find info there.
I used to make jewelery and sold at a couple of drug stores. It was fun but I have not done that for years. I make my own stuff to wear but don't really have any place to sell it. Around here people do more shoplifting than actual shopping and it is so discouraging to have things stolen by people with no respect. I do love to make things tho!

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to 2xblessed

Yeah, I'm with you on the Etsy thing. I tried selling different things there too but it's just too much work and too hard to get noticed. But, that doesn't mean we can't learn things from others on the forums! There are some good people on there who will share ideas and give advice. Also, I thought of Fire Mountain Gems. They don't have an online forum, but they do have step by step instructions and video tutorials on their website. I've learned some things from them.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to Babylou

Fire Mountain Gems is great!

Andra Hoffman
Resident
Andra Hoffman
In response to 2xblessed

My husband is really trying to get me into making jewelry. He manufactures faceting machines (also known as gem cutting machines) so I guess it's only right, right? I'd rather scrap!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to Andra Hoffman

Andra, thee is no reason you can't do both! A multi-talented lady! With a hubby that can set you up with a stone-cutting machine, why not?! I would love to have a stone cutter!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-15-12 08:28 AM
In response to 2xblessed

Andra, what machine does your husband make? My husband uses a Genie and an All You Need, but I'm not very good with those. I have done some faceting, however, and it's pretty satisfying to create a sparkly thing! Another hobby I don't have time for, lol. Luckily we know a very talented faceter so I haven't been too tempted to get a machine for myself.

Diva
In response to stick

SOunds interesting about making jewerly. Never has tried, but I do appreciate handmade items and understand why they cost what they cost. On the other hand, especially with scrapbooking and handmade stuff, sometimes the prices are too much, as you know, as a crafter, they didn't spend that much money on materials or making it. I pay the price when is really worth it. I have handmade item like necklaces, rings and earings and very proud to support artists.

Andra Hoffman
Resident
Andra Hoffman
In response to stick

He makes the OMF Scintillator and Xristal Teks...as well as the Glass A Tron.
I have tried to cut an Amethyst but then he took over and I never got to finish it. LOL I must have messed up the facets or something?
I love going to Tuscon for the Gem show and seeing what lil embellies I can find for scrapping!
He has cut me a few stones and had rings made for me and they are beautiful! I just would rather add bling to my projects then myself haha

Diva
In response to Andra Hoffman

Funny about the bling in scrapbooking than on you! That is what I really call an addiction!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics