Username Post: HEAT TOOL STOPPED WORKING...AGAIN        (Topic#1583321)
CraftyTwin
Guru
CraftyTwin

I bought a MS heat tool n one day it just stopped working. I didnt use it for a while and went to use it then nothing. So i buy another one uchida and now it did the same thing. Are they suppose to be stored a special way or keep them at a certain temp??? I really dont want to buy another one. Any ideas on how to fix them? Thanks.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to CraftyTwin

Are you talking about a heat gun?

I've had one for years, never had any problems. Maybe you have an electrical issue that's burning them up (surges or something)?
Products Referenced in This Post:

CraftyTwin
Guru
CraftyTwin
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thats the kind i have. I unplugged it after using it. I just dont knoow.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

Your electrical outlet may not be able to handle the high voltage of a heating device. It could have caused a surge that overloaded your device and burned it out.

Did you plug it directly into a wall outlet, or did you use an extension cord? If you used an extension cord, it needs to be the heavy-duty kind.

Do you have a toaster? Try plugging it into that outlet and see what happens. Maybe it will work if it hasn't been burned out. What happens if you plug your toaster into that outlet? Does it still work?

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to Solitaire

That's really weird! I have the same type of heat gun referenced, and I use it a lot! I've had it at least 10 years and it has never given me a moment of trouble. I would definitely check the outlet being used.

CraftyTwin
Guru
CraftyTwin
In response to chocolateaxel

I will try that ladies and get back with ya. thanks.

Resident

Its not always the plug in I have had an electrician in to look at that plug and make sure it can handle it, he says it can.. and yet I have killed 2 Marvy's 3 ranger heat its, and one Darcie... did I mention I have only been scrapbooking 2.5 ish years

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to must_love_paper

Oh what a Bummer. Sorry to hear that. I have a Marvy.. and I bought it used from ebay. It has worked for several years. If I were you, I would save the receipt for the next one and try to use it several times in the first few weeks after you buy it. At least it would still be under warranty.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Oh no!!!! I hope you can find out what is causing it!!!!

Expert
In response to binkiemonstermom

I had a Stampin Up one that when I used it too long, it would start smoking.
It still worked though after I gave it a little rest time.
I hope you can figure out the cause!

Veteran

must love paper - are you cooking or grilling with them or something!!?? (Sorry, couldn`t resist.) Do you use the same plug in for anything elseÉ There must be some surges happening or something.

Edited by SunnyAB on 12-13-12 02:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to SunnyAB

Are you using it while in the bathtub?

CraftyTwin
Guru
CraftyTwin
In response to Bxr-Linda

I use a wall outlet..same outlet foor my cricut. Just a mystery. I tried another plug but it still didnt come on.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Wow, that seems strange to me....
I've also had a Ranger heat gun for more than a year...I've travelled with it, I keep it thrown into a basket under my desk and always plugged in....never had an issue with it....

I hope you find a solution!
Alison

Resident
In response to SunnyAB

• SunnyAB Said:
must love paper - are you cooking or grilling with them or something!!?? (Sorry, couldn`t resist.) Do you use the same plug in for anything elseÉ There must be some surges happening or something.

You would almost think that I dont have a stove or something... its funny too because I will use it to emboss an image or something and then not use it for days... and flick the switch and zip nodda nothing... I tried to contact Marvy a few times about it with no reply so now I just buy them as cheap as I can lol maybe next time I will get an industrial one with temp control on it if I kill that thing I will know I am destined not to own a heat gun lol

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I know it doesn't help find out what is causing it but the older style Stampin' Up heat tool is on clearance:

http://3monkeysthrowingar oundsomepaper.blogspot.com/201...

The old style one is in clearance for $11.99!!! (old style doesn't have two heat settings on it is the only difference)

Edited by binkiemonstermom on 12-15-12 05:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
Wow, that seems strange to me....
I've also had a Ranger heat gun for more than a year...I've travelled with it, I keep it thrown into a basket under my desk and always plugged in....never had an issue with it....

I hope you find a solution!
Alison

Me too.

For those who are killing their heat guns, are you tightly winding the cord around it? Maybe you're breaking the connection from the power to the tool?
Just a thought.

Resident
In response to Bxr-Linda

Nope no wrapping of a cord... it hangs on one of my ikea kitchen rod things and i unplug it that is all

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

I have 2 different brand heat guns that I bought in 1999. Neither has burnt out.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to anda11

Can you try a surge protector? If that is what is buring it out, that might help.

Or maybe you are just a crazy embosser that is embossing anything that stands still and you are wearing it out!!! LOL!!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics