Username Post: Embossing        (Topic#1583365)
meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104

Hi all! I've been scrapping for a while but I haven't dove into the wonderful world of embossing yet. I know the two types (wet/dry) and I understand the basic concepts. So my biggest question is, do I need an embossing machine for dry embossing and using embossing folders?
I saw a post online about making your own embossing folders with a Cricut and a cereal box (which I have) and wanted to know if it would be worth making my own folder if I don't have a dry embossing machine.
Any help or advice would be great! Thanks!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to meshell1104

IMO, yes!!! You need an embossing machine. There are so many great embossing folders out there!!! You can make your own as well but an embossing machine makes it SSSSOOOOOO quick and easy. I love my big shot!!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to binkiemonstermom

I've made a few of my own embossing plates,,,,

they work ok, but for those you really need a machine.

you could TRY applying heavy pressure with a rolling pin (place your item on the floor and lean into it with the rolling pin),,,,,,,but I think this works better with the actual plastic embossing folders,,

even if you use the plastic folders, I've found a machine just embosses much more evenly, however.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to CommaHolly

I agree with everyone else...I have the BigShot and I love it!
Trying to do your own embossing sounds like way too much of a hastle to me.....

Alison

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104
In response to kiyawinn

Thanks everyone for the quick responses and advice. I may have to hint at a big shot for Christmas. I've seen a ton of great work using it and I love the added texture.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to meshell1104

I think you will be very happy with a big shot!!!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to binkiemonstermom

if you get the big shot, there's a wholllllllle heckuva lotta trouble coming your way,,,,,

yep,,,,NESTIES!!!!!!!!!!

Spellbinders,,,,,,,,,,

you will start out thinking you will ONLY emboss,,,,,,then you'll get 1 or 2 sets,,,,,and tell yourself you don't need more,,,,,

the next thing you know some whacko, who shall remain namelesss, on sb.com tells you you need fifty or 100 sets,,,,,
Products Referenced in This Post:

Diva
In response to CommaHolly

I use embossing for my cards. have a Cuttlebug and I do like it a lot!
Products Referenced in This Post:

sabine
sabine 
Idol
sabine
In response to bayamonesa1

I love my Big Shot! I just uploaded a few x-mas cards to my gallery where you can see one of the folders I used. SU sells the Big Shot and a bunch of supplies for it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics