Username Post: New at Scrapbooking. Help?        (Topic#1583417)
MoniicaBrooke
New Kid On the Block
MoniicaBrooke

I've always been interested in photography, and I have a huge stack of developed photos laying around. I recently became interested in scrapbooking, but am completely lost as how to start... I've looked at many layouts, and have been so inspired. Each layout I've seen tells its own story, and I cannot wait to start making my own! Can anyone give me a list of basic, must have items to buy in order to create a scrapbook? Any help would be much appreciated!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to MoniicaBrooke

Welcome!!!!
First off, you start small and build. And trust me it builds quickly.
You need good adhesive (glue,tape)and a paper trimmer. Those are must haves. I would recommend using a paper pack that has embellies and matching paper....it makes it really easy to start. Basic Grey and Simple Stories are great about that! I am sure there are others.
And then just start!!! Once you get going, you won't stop! It is so much fun!
As you grow, your style will change. You will find your own style. The gallery is a great source of layouts and techniques. Blogs are a great place to find styles that you like and products used.
Good luck and remember have fun!!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to binkiemonstermom

And it'll help for you to know some of the lingo being used in this very conversation; for example, "embellies" is short for "embellishments."

MoniicaBrooke
New Kid On the Block
MoniicaBrooke

Thank you for the help I appreciate it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Welcome - the people here are awesome!

I would highly recommend stalking the gallery and see if there is a pattern for pages that jump out at you.

A good acid free-lignen free is a must. Most of us really stay away from glue sticks, even ones that say archival safe becuase the pages seem to warp and many have had experiences with the pages falling apart.

I don't use anything that isn't acid-lignen free and when I use memorbilia, if it is not acid-lignen free I spray it with "Make it Acid Free" by Krylon.

You will need paper, adhesive and a trimmer. Those are the only things you have to have. I started out using scissors. Invest in a trimmer. Eveyrone has a favorite - mine is the Fiskars rotary. I do not like the guillotine trimmers but some love them. I also do not like the wire trimmers but there are a lot of fans for them. One is not better than the other, just different. You will most likely become attached to whatever you start with. If you go to a scrapbook store or take a class or crop at Archivers or Michaels they will let you try to see what you like.

Eveyrone told me I needed journaling pens. I bought several journaling pens. I have never taken the cap off one. If you are happy with your handwriting and want to have your handwriting in your book then get some acid free journaling pens. If like me, you prefer your journaling to be typed and like editing it on the computer, you are wasting your money to buy journaling pens. I just threw a bunch out that had never been opened. Just depends what you want to do to write your stories and make your notes.

Paper stacks - a lot of the ladies love them becuase they are somewhat matched and the price is definitely more economical to buy them that way. I do not buy paper packs becuase I waste about 75% of the pages. Just don't use them and they end up in a donation pile. I'd rather buy my pages separately and mix and match myself. I don't want to try to force myself to use paper just because it came in the pack and I don't want to waste it. I would buy one and see how you like the packs. You may use ever sheet in it and it may be perfect for you. I just like to hand-pick all my papers by themes and colors. It costs more that way but if you don't use most of them in the packs, then that can be more costly. Start with just one pack.

Some buy solid cardstock in packs and that is a good way to start too. I dont because I have thousands of sheets of cardstock on hand.

Stamps - buy one and see how you like it. I am not a stamper and I make a mess so its not for me. I only own one stamp and it is a special one I really wanted - kind of a dripping goey thing that a scrapbook.com buddy had made for each of us custom and I love it. I really plan to use it, just waiting for the right layout. However, I doubt I buy anymore becuase overall, I don't like stamping.

Stickles - they are awesome but I've never used mine and I've had them about 5 years. However, they are on the list of things I do plan to use. If you like them, then get a bottle or two.

I love punches. I think everyone should have 1 or 2 or 20 or 30. But look through the gallery and if the things you like have punchwork on them, then buy one and try it. I've learned that I like the Fiskars squeeze punches for single punches and I'm fine with any of the border punches.

Bigger things like a Big Shot and Cricut or other machines which can get pricey - go to Archivers or Michaels or places that have classes and crops and many have one you can try out to see how you like them. Don't rush into buying the bigger tools like that until you decide if you are going to use it enough to justify it. Plus, there are so many choices out there - Cricut, Cameo, Silhouette, Pazzles, Gazelle - check them all out and find out which one is right for you.

There was a thread recently where we all talked about what we had bought and never used. The list was long. I love micro glitter and invested over $300 in the stuff. Never opened it.

I guess my advise to you is to buy good quality adhesive and a trimmer and acid free papers, either single or in a pack.

A lot of us went crazy on sale stuff and bought tons of stuff that we weren't in love with but it was on sale. Stop and think if you love it and would purchase it even if it were not on sale - if you love it that much. If so, then buy the sale items but the tendency is to stock up on stuff on sale that are nice at the moment but not all that exciting. That is the stuff that never gets used. Shop on sale, but only if you really want it, not just to have scrapbook stuff.

Go slow buying stuff. This wonderful hobby of scrapbooking can quickly turn into an expensive hobby of collecting things you will not use.

I would certainly buy differently if I was starting over. So much I would not buy. Now if I were started over I would not buy more than one or two of anything until I decided if I liked it and if it was my style.

Study the layouts in the gallery, in magazines or books and see what techniques or things you love and that is what you should buy. Do not buy ribbons or buttons unless you are going to use them. For years I collected them and now that I have a granddaughter I'm using them and I love them. Same with flowers. Now I use them. For 5 years or more I just collected them.

Twinkling H2O's - love them. Never used them. Have all the colors.

I have found that I loved the Cats Eye chalks - use those on edge of most of my photos and I do love the Tim Holtz distress inks but start out with one or two of those in neutral colors and then if you enjoy using them and like that look, buy more.

Okay, I've written a book. Buy what you will use. Just becuase others love journaling pens or stamps or distress inks doesn't mean you will so go slowly until you know what you like.

Must haves - some paper, trimmer and good adhesive.

Diva
In response to Henri Jean

Amen....you should write a manual about how to start scrapbooking. Great tips!

MoniicaBrooke
New Kid On the Block
MoniicaBrooke
In response to Henri Jean

Thank you so much! This is the best advice I've recieved yet. Everyone on this website has been very nice and helpful. I'm glad you brought up buying things slowly over time. I'm the kind of person who will go to Michaels and buy things for my scrapbook until I have no money left, then probably end up doing nothing with half of the things I buy. Haha. Thanks again for your comment, your tips were a big help.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to MoniicaBrooke

There are many people here who will help with things like die cuts if you wish to ask them. PM(private message) me and I will get your mailing address thru PM and can send you a bit of what you need I have it. It will save you the hundreds of $ for some of the machines when another person can make the designs for you. All you have to do is ask and many people will swap with you or RAK (random act of kindness). I will PM you now.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics