Username Post: Help! Scrapbooking letters? (real ones!)        (Topic#1583469)
New Kid On the Block

Does anyone by chance have ideas on how I can spice up page layouts? or just all around make these pages better? They are SO PLAIN! I am scrapbooking the letters that my best friend and I have gotten from each other since 2008 and I just HATE how my pages came out!

As you can see, the pages are BORING and the envelopes themselves are glued on (glue stick.) the
pages. I think I can remove them, though!

I need to figure out a way to spruce them up! I was including the letter as well as some quotes from each letter but it just isn't enough! I need suggestions for embellishments and whatnot. Can you tell I'm a newbie?

Any ideas? Also, I am a college student so any affordable ideas are much appreciated! I am going to try and include a few photos of my pathetic attempts! Ignore the hits of blurred color! Had to hide personal info.

I hope someone can help!

Photos! (not all are done, so only a few are shown.)

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to inkythoughts

I would start by perusing through the gallery. Treat the letters and envelopes like they are "photos" and go from there.

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to sbartist

Here is a look at some of my journaling pages:

7-13 By Sbartist

7-12 By Sbartist

7-11 By Sbartist

7-10 By Sbartist

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to sbartist

7-9 By Sbartist

7-8 By Sbartist

7-7 By Sbartist

7-6 By Sbartist

July 5th By Sbartist

July 3rd By Sbartist

4th of July By Sbartist

Journal 7-1 By Sbartist

Journal 6-30 By Sbartist

Journal 7-2 By Sbartist

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to sbartist

Here are some layouts that might give you some inspiration. (Some of them don't have embedding enabled, so you will have to follow the link)

This one has a simple white background with a colorful border and a few scraps cut to mat the pics --replace the pics with your letter or envelope. Also a few little embellishments, but you could use whatever you have on hand, even use a regular old paper punch to punch little circles from some scraps of paper. You could add a fun title right above the pic/envelope/letter...just freehand cut some alphas, if you don't have a cutting system! http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/?m=image& id=380762...

This one you could do away with the vertical strips of paper in the middle and replace the pics with your envelope/letter. http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/?m=image& id=377565...

This one would be perfect for you! (IMO ) Just remember when you do a pocket like that, to ONLY put the adhesive across the bottom and the two sides...not the top of the pocket, or you won't have a pocket..speaking from experience. http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/?m=image& id=369104...

Don't get overwhelmed by these types of layouts. Think of them like a puzzle and figure out what would be the farthest back thing..the background and work your way forward..throw out any part of the original that you don't want to do on your own layout..it's just for inspiration, not a test of how well you can do exactly what the other person did!

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to justowen

If you are just wanting to add to your layouts you have completed, you might consider a few minor things like inking the edges of the backgrounds or adding a few embellishments.

If you want to start over on any of them and you're worried about tearing your envelopes and letters, just try trimming around the element and leave it attached to the paper...you can either trim so that the current background paper becomes a mat for the element...so when you cut, leave a quarter inch or so of the patterned paper all the way around..or you can cut really close to your element so the current patterned paper won't show when you adhere it to your new layout.

Personally, I think it's all about what you like. I have layouts that look pretty much like these do and I still like them and have no plans to change them. They were how I scrapped at the time and I like the memories I have of scrapping them that way. It's all about personal preference...no right, no wrong.

nuskrappa
Diva
nuskrappa
In response to justowen

i have a bunch of old letters from my husband from when we were dating. ive thought about scrapping them, but actually making a mini album of them by using pocket envelopes as the pages, that way the letters are preserved in the envelopes. and you can embellish the cover of the mini and each of the envelopes can be spots to journal or add photos..or whatever.

good luck with your project!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to nuskrappa

• nuskrappa Said:
i have a bunch of old letters from my husband from when we were dating. ive thought about scrapping them, but actually making a mini album of them by using pocket envelopes as the pages, that way the letters are preserved in the envelopes. and you can embellish the cover of the mini and each of the envelopes can be spots to journal or add photos..or whatever.

good luck with your project!

Love this idea!!!!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

Welcome to the neighborhood!

I like that you're using the actual envelopes on your pages as pockets for the letters.

You've been given some great ideas already!

Just have fun with it and it will start to flow. Don't forget to enjoy the process

denayc
denayc 
Guru
denayc
In response to Kim222

You could always add a picture of you both on a couple of the pages, or if a particular letter talks about something you did together and you have mementos (ticket stubs, napkins, programs)add them to the page.

Good luck!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to denayc

I think all the suggestions you received so far are great. I would also suggest that you use a smaller page to create this album maybe an 8x8 or 6x6 album would be easier for you to create pages that you are happy with as it is a smaller layout. Good luck and have fun!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Some great ideas here already. My suggestion would be if you don't have photos you can use, you can always use images from the Internet. Example: if it's a friend from high school use a picture of the high school. Maybe make it black and white.
If you can't find your exact high school then use an iconic high school image from a tv program or movie.

Stickers are great (don't get me wrong I LOVE stickers) but you can bump it up a notch and use better images to represent things when you don't have photos. Or you could try you hand at some artistic methods like drawing. Doodling also comes to mind. And then there is this zentangle. Do an image search on zentangle and zentangle patterns for details.

Veteran
In response to Gelidy Gelato

wow these girls really know what they are talking about!!! great ideas!!! try using chevrons, embellishments, and flip books to your lay outs. I know how you feel it is almost for me at least like our work is amateirr and their seems so professional, But no biggie dont give up there is room for all kinds of art here!!! Just do your best!!!

scrappindmbfan
Diva
scrappindmbfan
In response to mindygail

I have scrapped a lot of my kids' certificates from school and programs from events they've in. I like to use fancy pockets and I use the clear plastic corner tabs to hold them down so the can be removed and read someday if needbe. Maybe you could try to incorporate the subjects of the letters into a theme for the page. Here's a few of my examples. I would imagine these ideas might be able to be used for the letters as well.

Tiger Pride Award By Scrappindmbfan

Wicked By Scrappindmbfan

Quiltin' Bee 2 pgs By Scrappindmbfan

Talking to the Astronauts By Scrappindmbfan

and here's a few examples of LOs that only include a typed up setlist for a concert. I got most of these ideas from a book:

Show 26 By Scrappindmbfan

Show #22 By Scrappindmbfan

Show #7 By Scrappindmbfan

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics