Username Post: problem with embossing...        (Topic#1583505)
Resident

hiya guys,

looking for some advice on embossing. i use a big shot to dry emboss and have the ranger embossing ink pad and ranger embossing powders. dry embossing is not a problem but when i try to powder emboss the raised dry emboss, the powder clings to parts that are not raised. i've have the little anti static pillow and use it after the dry emboss and i've tried "running" the ink pad lightly across the dry embossed area as well as lightly touching the dry embossed area to the upside down ink pad and nothing seems to work.
what am i doing wrong???

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to dee.is.me

That is tough. I was going to recommend the pillow, but if it doesn't work for that, I am not sure.

Have you tried using a nib? it would be super tedious, but it would work.

Take the nib and put some ink on it from the pad, then just rub over the raised part and emboss in sections.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Manda_K

I don't do a lot of embossing and don't think I've ever tried wet embossing dry embossing, so probably not the most helpful person. Have you tried doing the inking before removing the embossing plate? My thought is that would keep the paper from "pushing down" and allowing the ink into the debossed areas. Also, when wet embossing, I gently blow the extra powder away and sometimes use a small, soft and clean paintbrush to remove extra powder from areas where I don't want it.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to justowen

I would use the anti static pad before doing the dry embossing.
Try it and see if it works--

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to terrihooper

I agree with Terri. use the pillow before you dry emboss. it probably can't get in all the grooves after u emboss

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to SherylEb

Use an ink roller to apply the embossing ink over the dry embossed paper.

Resident
In response to runzalot81

thanks guys for the helpful hints... i don't have a brayer (sp) so might have to go and buy one and try that. in the meantime, i'll try running the ink pad over the dry embossing whilst still in the folder and also using the anti static pillow thingy (lol) before dry embossing.

seems everyone swears by the versamark inkpad...so will pick up one of those too if i can find a supplier in sydney. i did notice that my ranger inkpad was extremely "wet" to the point it leaked in the bag on the way home?? are they meant to be that wet??

again, thanks for your help and advice xx

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to dee.is.me

What about running the embossing pad over the raised part of the embossing folder itself. Then run it through the machine, then powder and heat?!

Either that, or try an embossing pen to get the ink exactly where you want it.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-27-12 09:32 AM
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
What about running the embossing pad over the raised part of the embossing folder itself. Then run it through the machine, then powder and heat?!

This would work if you wanted to heat emboss the depressed areas of your dry embossing (which I keep meaning to try), but not the raised areas.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to stick

Won't it work if you ink the other side of the embossing folder?

I have never wet embossed a dry embossing but I have inked them....I always have to do a test run to figure out what side to ink up on the folder to get the effect I want. I am thinking it would work the same just using the embossing powder afterwards???

Edited by binkiemonstermom on 12-27-12 09:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to binkiemonstermom

Then you'd just be heat embossing the back sides of the raised areas, which would then still be the depressed areas as you look at it. Whether this would give the desired effect would depend on the embossing folder - it wouldn't work for one with text as part of the design, for example.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to aquabunny

WOW- if that embossing pad leaked in the bag it is REALLY wet-- my embossing pads are wetter than ink but not that wet-- and yes VERSAMARK is the way to go as far as I am concerned!

Resident

the embossing folders i have are not text so will give inking the raised side of the folder a go. but good point and something to keep in mind if i'm trying to emboss text.

lol terri, within half an hour drive home from the shop, this pad had leaked over everything in the bag...thank god i didn't have any papers in there lol.

will be experimenting with all the great tips and ideas you guys have given me .. today...just as soon as i clean up my creative mad scientist mess in my scrap area hahahah. fingers crossed...i'm going in.

ps. if you don't hear from me in the next 24 hours, send in the cavalry hahahaha

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to dee.is.me

I've never had a pad leak on me either. That's way wet. I do like the Versamark too. I have the Tim Holtz one, but never use it because I just like the Versamark so well.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to SherylEb

I love the versamark one as well I don't really have any suggestions on how to wet emboss after you dry emboss because I have not tried it yet.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Versamark ink gets my vote, too. Has anyone ever used a homemade pillow that removes the static? I have heard that you can stitch one up using muslin cloth and cornstarch...is that true? I could make a lot and give them to my friends if this is correct. I could make a dozen for the price of just one at the store.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I have never used one that is homemade, I have heard the same thing, though-- I would have made one instead of buying one had I seen the instructions before I bought the one at the store--

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

I have done double embossing (machine and heat) many times. For me, the trick is getting enough good quality ink - Versamark is a favorite - on the raised embossed parts. That way, you can lightly tap the paper enough to get the stray powder off the other parts. If you have enough good quality ink on the raised embossed section, this will work without the powder coming off of everything.

Inking the folders themselves will not work because it inks the part that is debossed, not the raised sections. It will look like this:
Letterpress Technique By Here Kitty

On this card, I wanted a distressed look, so I didn't really want ALL of the raised embossed areas to be heat embossed.
Double Embossing By Here Kitty

This is one of my favorite double embossed cards.
Fleur de Lis By Here Kitty

Resident
In response to Here Kitty

well still the same results... i am wondering if this ranger inkpad i have is just too wet??? and thats why the powder is "sticking" all over the place?? so... i am now on the hunt for a versamark inkpad and a brayer in the hope that i'll be able to get the outcome i'm looking for.

thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions xxx

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics