Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Anyone doing Project Life this year?        (Topic#1583529)
parisdame
Diva
parisdame

Hi,

I'm on the fence as to whether I should tackle Project Life this year. Is anyone else doing it or have done it last year? I'm been looking on Pinterest for a ton of great ideas but I'm worried I will tired of it after a few months. Any thoughts?

julie101
Idol
julie101
In response to parisdame

Hi

I am going to have a go at project life but I didnt buy the kit I got pages from We R Memory Keepers and Echo Park I went with a paper collection from Simple Stories called Snap Life I was just going to use what scraps I have but I really wanted to have a album that matched plus the paper collection grabed my attention.

Im like yourself I am worried that I will lose interest after a few months and for me journaling is going to be a hard as its not something I would normally do.

But I am hoping its going to bring the fun back into scrapping kinda hit a brick wall with my scrapping.

Cricutgirlg
Expert
Cricutgirlg
In response to julie101

No, I prefer my traditional 12 x 12 LOs. Have fun with Project Life.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Cricutgirlg

I will be honest; i did PL twice and i did do it this year. At times it was a challenge what to take a photo of but that's when your imagination kicks in. In place of a photo some times i did journaling for that day. It is fun and it keeps you thinking which is a good
thing. if you need a boost I can help you with things i've taken photos of. Even mundane things like the bus sign at the end of my street.

Think of it as a year long project that will keep you wondering what can i take a photo of today.

for me i'm taking a year off. i'm doing Simple Stories this year.

good luck with you decision.

kdsmommy
Idol
kdsmommy
In response to cescrapper

I'm hostessing a "PROJECT 52 WEEKS Challenge" if you'd like to participate.

No cost; no hassle; no stress.

Check it out:
PROJECT 52 WEEKS Challenge

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to kdsmommy

I did one in 2009 and only missed 2 days in the whole year. I pre-made lo's for the month and they all had the same format-i think it was a becky higgins template. I varied the colors and embellies.
I am going to do one this year (2013) for my first year of retirement.
I suggest joining a thread with others doing the same project so you can share ideas--

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

• cescrapper Said:
I will be honest; i did PL twice and i did do it this year. At times it was a challenge what to take a photo of but that's when your imagination kicks in. In place of a photo some times i did journaling for that day. It is fun and it keeps you thinking which is a good
thing. if you need a boost I can help you with things i've taken photos of. Even mundane things like the bus sign at the end of my street.

Think of it as a year long project that will keep you wondering what can i take a photo of today.

for me i'm taking a year off. i'm doing Simple Stories this year.

good luck with you decision.

What is Simple Stories?

kygirlnfla
Mayor
kygirlnfla
In response to Sunnydi

Put "Simple Stories" in the Superstore search box here and you'll find a ton of awesome papers/kits for doing your Project Life or coordinated albums. I've not done Project Life but one year I hope to be organized enough to do it....good luck to all doing it~

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to kygirlnfla

I did project life this year....I'm way behind but do plan on getting caught up. I took all my photos, just haven't gotten all of them in the album yet...
I don't think I will do it again for 2013 although, I'm not ruling it out for the future sometime.
I'm glad I did it but it is a lot of work and I think I prefer doing 12x12 layouts....Project Life is not creative enough for me.

The two things I took away from it are,
1. I think it is really cool to have a "snapshot" so to speak, of the whole year. It will be really interesting to look back on in 10 or 20 years....
2. It got me used to taking photographs every day. It got me way more interested in photography and I think I got much better at taking pictures. I ended up wanting (and getting for Christmas) a new DSLR camera....

One suggestion I would make is, if you do do it, don't bother ordering the kit.....just buy a nice album, a bunch of the pocketed page protectors and use your own papers and embellishments. It's cheaper in the long run and you will end up with the same thing!

Alison

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to kiyawinn

I am not doing Project Life per say, but am doing a photo a day challenge that I found at this website...http://fatmumslim.com.au/. At the start of the month, she posts a new list. I never thought I could keep up with it, but it is so fun trying to find something to match the prompt. Today, the prompt was "cold", and we happened to get our very 1st snow which made a great picture. Hubby is even having fun helping me come up with pictures.

I did not want to have a separate book for these each month, so I used Picmonkey.com to make 2 collages. I print them at Persnickety Prints as 12x12's. I just copy her list onto the center of the right page, and put a calendar explaining the prompts on the right page. I then slip them into my yearly chronological book.

By doing the calendar, I don't have to worry about extensive journaling for each day.

I just took these pictures tonight so you could get an example. Of course it's night, so the pics are horrible, but you will get the idea.
Project Life Page By Flintridgescrapper
Photo A Day By Flintridgescrapper

parisdame
Diva
parisdame
In response to flintridgescrapper

Thanks everyone for the great ideas and thoughts on PL! I love all the fabulous suggestions. I have decided to do it...wish me luck!

I figured it will be a great way to use up my scraps, add in the bits and pices of life that don't call for a whole 12 x 12 layout and be a cool look at my life this coming year.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to parisdame

I think I would run out of mojo too)) and I don't like the strictness of it - a photo a day, geeesh. plus, i print mine in the shop, not at home - a time delay again. i would constantly be behind and stressed out.
BUT! if i'll ever have another baby, i'll do the ProjectLife type of book for his/her first year. Little babies change so much and there is plenty of opportunities for pics etc. and the small-and-quick format is perfect for the new mom.
I do like the system they do on some blogs, where there is a two-pager for each month of the year - with a collage of lots of pics and some scrapbooking elements, including digital. I might try that next year, as an intro to digi.
(here theshabbyshoppe.com/blog/index.php/category/project-scra p-2012/)

Edited by OlesyaK. on 12-29-12 09:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to OlesyaK.

A pic a day sounds overwhelming but it isn't if you have your camera with you all the time. I have carried my camera with me everywhere I go for a long time now and with the smart phones taking good pics, it is even more convenient. So don't let that stop you from doing a project 365 of some kind. Also, if you miss a day, it's ok-- you can journal why you missed it or just leave it blank.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to terrihooper

Project Life does not have to be a photo a day.

Lots of people do a weekly spread using whatever pictures they took during that week, not necessarily a picture for every single day. Many people also don't journal something for every single day either. It can be as versatile as you want it to be with the wide variety of pocket page protectors available.

2013 will be our 3rd year of project life. The first 2 years I used the Becky Higgins kits and also made a bunch of my own things for it during the year to make it "more creative" and more my style.

For 2013, I am using 2 Creative Memories Pic Folio Albums. I purchased pieces a little at a time for it from one of the CM collections over the last year and put it all together so it is all ready to go starting on Jan. 1. We will be doing "Weekly Review" style journaling and also not doing a "photo a day" but rather a compilation of photos for each week.

I will say this about Project Life: Looking back on the last 2 years, it is very cool to have 5 totally completed albums covering the last 2 years of our life. Doing this project has me documenting the normal every day things as well as touching on vacations and special events but it also frees up my time so that I can make bigger scrapbooks just focusing on vacations and special events while still getting "everything else" scrapped in between. I no longer stress about getting caught up because this project is so easy and not time consuming if you plan it out and that gives me time to spend on traditional pages too.

A tip for anyone thinking about attempting a photo a day and journaling every day: We did this the last 2 years and using our camera phones was a huge help. Also, I put the little journaling cards in a container on my night stand with some markers and every night before going to bed, I wrote out the days events on a card. I used post it notes and wrote on them for each day what the picture would be for that spot. I have dropbox synched up on my home computer and my phone so when I take photos, they automatically get transferred to my computer. Then when I have a few free minutes, I can print out a few pictures and add them to the book where the post it notes indicate that they go. A little bit of planning really makes this project Easy to keep up with. It's also nice if you have family members who are willing to participate in the compilation of the book. My DH loves our books and willingly jumps in and takes pictures and saves memorabilia from places we go without my asking.

I agree that this type of scrapbooking is not for everyone.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Shutterbugg

Things i have taken photos of for PL project. The price of gas on any given day, my street sign, my craft table on any given day. a sunrise, a sunset, my groceries stacked up before puting them away; people in my family; a candle burning; a new pruchase; pets, if you have any; a view outside a window; my house number; my house; a photo off the tv of my favorite show; just some ideas toget you started. and if you don't take a photo do some journaling. i also used different variations of page protectors just to keep things interesting. i snuck differnt size pages in there as well.

just have fun with it. try not to let it become a chore.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

What I run into is that I'm an empty nester and live by myself, my kids are all grown so I don't have a very exciting life. Work every day and rest on the weekends.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Sneezy1956

Jane, I'm in the same boat. Just thinking about trying to come up with a photo per day is overwhelming to me - even a photo per week. I mean, how many pictures of my dog can I take?!

Sassy Suzi
Diva
Sassy Suzi
In response to dwelch

Jane & dwelch try this:

http://captureyour365.com/2012/12/january-365-p hoto-cha...

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Sassy Suzi

I've been doing Project Life for the last 3 years or so.

At the end of Day 3 today & preparing to print my pictures.

Sometimes I print them the same day, but more often than not, I print them all at once, every couple of days. I usually keep a Photo Journal to keep track of what is what, even though the dates are also listed on my computer.

Hope That Helps & Good Luck!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Cricutgirlg

• Cricutgirlg Said:
No, I prefer my traditional 12 x 12 LOs. Have fun with Project Life.

I include my 12x12's within my albums.

It's really up to the person & or your individual style & method.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics