Username Post: Scrapbooking Titles        (Topic#1583665)
julie101
Idol
julie101

Ok might be a silly question but I am wondering is it important for layouts to have titles? The reason I ask as I really do struggle coming up with titles.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to julie101

No. Fewer than half my layouts have titles. I typically journal extensively, though, so it's not especially hard to tell what the layouts are about anyway.

As always, there are no rules.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to aquabunny

I only do a title if one comes to me and I feel it's necessary....
Lots of my layouts do not have titles. I like a title to fit in with the design of my page so if there is no room for it or it doesn't otherwise fit in, I don't do one!
IMO, scrapbooking is about the memories, photos and stories.....none of that HAS to have a title!

Alison

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kiyawinn

Don't have to. I personally prefer them but don't always do one.

julie101
Idol
julie101
In response to Henri Jean

Oh that makes me feel better it was getting a bit stressful trying to come up with Titles

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-30-12 06:00 PM
In response to julie101

You can do whatever you want to do, but I like titles because I think my pages look more finished that way. I keep them pretty simple, for the most part I don't like using quotes or common phrases or other people's words - just the facts, because I mostly scrap events. I like simple titles that provide context (e.g., "R's Birthday" and the date). With a series of pages (like for a vacation) I often do a Title Page, and not necessarily titles for any of the other pages.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to stick

Nope, it's not important. For some reason it's often taught as one of the basics when beginners start scrapbooking but I found it very liberating when I 'allowed' myself to call a page complete without a title I found I would do a page then feel lke I 'had' to title it and that, often, would ruin the look of the page for me so I stopped.

Some people prefer them but if you don't that's all that matters

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to scrappercaz

Kara - you brought up an excellent point - I love title pages. I do them at the beginning of a trip or series of layouts like the Florida Everglades. Then I don't do titles on each page.

Also, if a page is birthday or something I usually put a title - not always but it is more finished to me when I do but like Carolyn said, sometimes it can ruin the page so I don't do it.

Also, if they are just my granddaughter in a cute dress or Bill with her on his shoulders there is no story to go with it so I don't need a title.

However, there is one picture with her on his shoulders and they are both bent over - he is pointing at something in a big black "drum" and she is looking and pointing too. I do need to explain somewhere that there are 6 catfish in that drum that were caught for dinner that night and that is what they are looking at and pointing at.

Haven't decided what to title that one but it will have to have a title.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Henri Jean

Don't let it stress you out. Its a hobby. Its supposed to relax you. Do whatever looks and feels right to you.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to julie101

Just for myself, I almost always have a title, but I don't have journaling. That could be because I'm scrapping my cats and the photo is pretty self evident, but I like putting a "clever" (for me) title on the LO. But, as has been said, there are no rules. If you struggle with titles, then don't do them!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to meezerpleaser

If my album is about a specific event, such as a vacation then I will only have a title on the front page or the cover. The other pages may have sub-titles, but if there is no need for one then I leave it out.

You don't have to have a title, as long as you record the who, when, where (and the how and what, if appropriate) somewhere on the LO. Now you think you'll remember, but trust me, in 20 years' time you really won't.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to RedSquirrel

Most do not have titles but I do need to journal more.

Andra Hoffman
Resident
Andra Hoffman
In response to prittb

I don't always put titles on mine. Just really depends on the photos, or if I have enough of a certain letter!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Andra Hoffman

I very seldom use titles. I never have enough room for them anyway. i usually leave a note on the back of the page as to what is going on

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to cescrapper

I do mostly travel albums. On the cover I will use a title telling which trip it is. On the pages I will mention where it is, but I don't think you can consider this a title. If I have a great idea for a certain page, I will use a title, but I do not sit around struggling to come up with one.

It all depends what you think will fit your page and what you feel like doing. If titles do not work for you, don't use them. Like said before it is a hobby and we are not bound by any rules about how our pages should look!

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper
In response to elsje2

Nope - it's your book, and you can decide if you want titles or not. I remember my nephew came home from preschool and told his mom that his teacher said "there's no wrong way to do art". I agree!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to julie101

I have lots of pages without them. IT doesn't matter to me if I have one or not.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics