Page 3 of 3 
Username Post: Last of 2012        (Topic#1583697)
Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Yes, it counts! They're now ready to go for scrapping in 2013!!!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Doreena

I'm the opposite of most of you...I'd rather scrap the old pics because they bring back so many memories. I want to get books done for each of our 4 kids, along with the stories, so their kids will have the history of "Mom and Dad". I also want to do a book for me, plus my parents, especially while Mom is alive and remembers things so vividly.

To me, the trips we take, no big deal. We enjoy them, tell people about them, then it's on to thinking about the next trip. I can't imagine our kids really caring about what we saw or did for most of our trips. If I were SuperScrapper and had unlimited time, then I'd love to scrap everything, but old family stories are the most important to me.

It seems easier for me to scrap the old stuff because there aren't as many pictures. I can scrap them all :>) On trips, when we might take several hundred pics in a day, it's too mind-boggling to choose which I want to use.~Judy

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to mrsdriver5

We are moving this month, out by the 30th!! So I put away a lot of scrappy stuff that was out, and put all my new paper stacks (Christmas gifts!) in storage bins. I spent this AM taking all my frames n candleholders off the walls in every room n boxing them up. ugh, bare walls are awful! I also gave my sons toddler bed away, along with a bunch of bedding to fit! And the front porch has 7 or 8 items waiting for Freecyclers to pick up. I love a good purge! But I plan to move the scrappy stuff to the new house in first load or two, so no new craftiness for me this month!! boohoo My parents have a two fam house they have rented out, both my sister n brother lived there last, n they moved out in aug n sept 2012. So we are moving in, the rent is cheap! And our son will finally have his own bedroom n place for his toys!! I will even have a private space to scrap! Whoo hoo! The downside is the dishwsher (a MUST!) has to be replaced and it needs a roof n a paintjob. Oh, and the nxt door neighbor is a known drug dealer n thief...but hey, the rent is cheap!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Gelidy Gelato

It counts.

I agree - making more memories is even better than scrapbooking. Did I just say that? Wasn't me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Sounds like a good thing overall Chris - just keep an eye on the neighbors. Maybe the police will come haul them off. You can always hope they get busted. But for you son to have his own room - that is awesome!

Judy - I don't know any of the old family stories. The only pictures I have are of my kids and I really don't remember stories around any of them. For the most part they are the go to the photographer type pictures.

Some Christmas and holidays but I don't know anything interesting that went with it to journal.

I have some old picture of my mom and dad and put those on a DVD with music for them - 1 hour with about 10 minutes focus on each family (each of my brohters and mine) a section on the grandchildren, a section on family pets, a section on family friends, a section on Christmases past. A tribute to my father since he died before I put the video together.

I had it professionally done. In fact they sent a camera crew out to our house and my kids were older teenagers - one was sitting on the couch with a photo album on his lap.

He said, "Hey John, watcha doing?"

He said, "I'm looking at the old family album."

Joe said, "I've never seen it - can I look through it too?"

John says, "Sure, I'll start at the beginning" and then flips back.

Joe says, "Who's this?" The camera shows a picture and JOhn narrates, "That is grandma and grandpa Bonner. THe are mom's grandparents and our great-grandparents. This is granny with them when she was 5 years old."

Then while the picture is still showing I said, His name was RIchard Clarence Bonner and he was born in _____ and died in _____. Your great-grandmother's name was Amner Lorene Bonner. She was born in ________ and lives in ALabama - you saw her last summer.

Then Joe said, "Who is this one?" John said, "That grandmother Bonners parents. My great grandparents. Then I gave the names and what I knew about them (very little). John said, "That makes them my great-great grandparents. Cool."

We did all the grandparents that way and great grandparents with Joe and John and me talking about as if I'm explaining it all to him as they were as it showed the pictures and played Scott Joplin music.

I was never on the video - just the boys were with the book. I was a voice explaining like I was standing over their shoulder explaining.

THen we flash a name on the screen that said, "Henry Leon Gibson" and the song "Love me Tender" - mom & Dad's song and pictures of daddy when he was born through just before he died.

From there we went to Jeanelle Bonner Gibson with mom from earliest pictures to current. She loves Glen Miller so it played "In the Mood".

Then my family since I'm the oldest, Randy's family and then Gregs with spouses and children in the photos.

Mom loved Bing Crosby's song, "White Christmas" so I put our childhood christmas pictures and those with the grandkids and all the christmas pictures there.

The next sign said, "The Grandkids" and it was my kids with my brothers - one picture with all 7 sleeping on blankets in mom's living room floor - just pictures like that and the music was "Sugartime".

After that I think was "more family" which had cousins and aunts and uncles and nieces and nephews of my mothers.

Each section had a hand-made sign that my son made. Very cute.

Then one section titled "Henri & Jeanelle" and it was all pictures of my parents from when they were dating to the last one taken before daddy died. "Don't Sit under the appletree". Then There was time for it to play "Love and Marriage". My favorite picture in that section is them dressed up for a SUnday School Halloween party - mom was a fire hydrant and daddy was a dog. THe costume was made by friends who were fabulous with paper machet and the dog head and fire hydrant costume. Then mom wore an Hawaiian grass skirt so when they judged she could just drop to her knees. Dad's outfit (aside from the paper machet head) was sewn of white fabric with big brown spots all over it.

After that was family pets show to "How Much is that Doggy in the WIndow" and at the very end I went back to Scott Joplin music and a decorated page that all 3 of us kids signed and all the grandkids. That was the last thing on the hour long CD.

Mom said on Christmas that she would love to have it converted to DVD so I need to do that for her.

After that I don't feel the need to do the family scrapbooks - everything is right there in the video. It was a 1 year labor of love to collect everyone's photos and get them in order and write the script and get it made and edited professionally.

Besneys
Guru
Besneys

Henri, That brought tears to my eyes...what a lovely idea.xxx You're quite a special person aren't you?

Anne x

Besneys
Guru
Besneys
In response to Besneys

WE are off to Barcelona in april for my 60th. ...and I can't wait x

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Besneys

I really don't think there is anything special about me. I think we all have soft and tender spots.

My family seems to be pretty functional - everyone gets along, nobody in the family does anything worth gossiping about and we don't really get mad at each other.

We are all pretty supportive of each other, even when we don't agree.

My mom hates that Bill and I travel like we do - it drives her crazy. But my brothers are both blessed to have such wonderful wives and I love both of them. They have both been married about 30 years and there has never been a hurt or bad word or anything between any of us.

I was proud of mom recently - she just got an award for 50 years Sunday School attendance and not missing one Sunday in 50 years. That is about 2,600 Sundays without missing.

THey asked her to speak in church so Bill and I went to Alabama to be there for her when she talked in front of the church. I was very touched when she said she had 6 children and she loves and treasures all of us. (Three of us are birth children - the other 3 are our spouses but she didn't add that part.) She actually loves our spouses like she loves us.

I don't think there is anything special about me other than I have a family that is without anger or drama - not one drama queen anywhere.

Until now.

My oldest son is married and his wife did not come from that kind of the family and every minute that passes with them is more drama. She doesn't understand our family and keeps things stirred up. Just so demanding. All of my nephews are married to women who just fit right into the family. Just my son. I really hope she calms down because she stresses all of us out!

She upset my mother and everyone else so much at Christmas that Bill and I stayed an extra day with mom until she was calmed down after the visit from her new granddaughter-in-law.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Have you been to Barcelona before? It is an awesome city! When we got there 2 years ago we took the Hop-on Hop-off bus around Barcelona for a couple days. There are two lines - maybe three and you ride them all for one ticket price. Then you can see what you want to go back to visit.

Las Ramblas - that is awesome. They are the best street mimes I've ever seen anywhere in my life! And every night there are some that are different so if you've been there one night, the next night there may be some different mimes. Fabulous. The mimes each pay for thier spots in advance and they only have so many places for them so some buy lots of nights and some only buy a few. When you give them a coin most do something amusing.

One was an Edward Scissorhands character and when given a coin he started using his big scissors to cut hair (not really of course) and when people walked away he chased them down the street still pretending to cut their hair.

So many places to eat on Las Ramblas too. It is common knowledge that it is pick-pocket territory too - I had a small flat purse that I wore under my blouse - came right to the bottom of my shirt so I could access it but no one could see it.

Bill had a wallet with a cord that loops over his belt loop and then goes in his wallet so no one could just grab his wallet and run. WOuld also recommend a money belt. I'm not singling out Barcelona for this, we visit a lot of counties where this is a problem but just be aware that pick pocket incidents are prevelant so plan in advance.

There is a fabulous cathedral - one of the most interesting and famous in the world and I'm drawaiong a blank on the name of it. You will pass it on the hop-on hop-off. It is just incredible. Still in progress but still, its a landmark and is shown on many things for Barcelona like a logo. The architect for the cathedral also designed many of the buildings you see in Barcelona and was quite well known. You may want to read a bit about him before you go. I'll get that info for you. Just have to go through earlier scrapbooks.

We had pina coldada smoothies on the beach - found a little shack of a place on the water that serves the best I've ever had. We prefer them without alcohol but they make them both ways.

The aquarium there is not that great. I wouldn't waste $20.00 on it again. We were in and out in less than an hour.

You will love Barcelona! It is a really beautiful city but if you like the tour buses - I really recommend the hop-on hop-off buses. I get my best pictures from the top of these buses. They have the earbuds (they give everyone their own) and you can listen in your own language to what you are seeing and get off whenever you want to see something or tour a place and then get back on.

That is how we always prefer to tour a city if the hohos are offered (hop-on hop-off buses).

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Henri, you're probably thinking of Gaudi's Sagrada Família (short name). This cathedral was begun in 1882 and isn't expected to be completed until 2026. Can you imagine the celebration they'll have then? I'll quit complaining when a LO takes me days and days.

My favorite city in Spain was Granada, but this was back in 1963. I know it's all changed since then! Our youngest daughter was in Barcelona 4 or 5 years ago and she also loved the city.~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

This is exactly it Judy! I was going to find the old layouts or do an internet search and didn't do it. That is a must see when in Barcelona!

I did a lot of research on it and its fascinating. So interesting to see all the other buildings credited to Gaudi.

I would love to go back to Barcelona in 2026 and see the finished cathedral!

Besneys
Guru
Besneys

I've just called into our local library and got a travellers guide to Barcalona which I'll read through to get some ideas I may even get it re issued when we go so as to have some ideas. I love the hopon hopoff buses we did that in Lisbon and of course New York.
the Barca trip was supposed to be just hubby and myself but suddenly the girls and grands are coming to....I love it when we are all together...but I whispered that xxx

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Besneys

It sounds like a fun trip with multi-generations—good way to get different perspectives. We've taken our granddaughters on trips, along with my mom, so it's interesting in how a four-generational span views things...especially when one or more of our kids goes along, so we really have all four generations represented.

For me, the planning/dreaming is half the fun of a trip...so have fun getting ready!~Judy

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Henri—I still remember the awe of looking at those spires rising up into the bright blue Spanish sky. I often can't remember the name of the church, but I just tell my daughter "the Swiss cheese cathedral" and she knows exactly what I'm referring to...and she always remembers the name. Ah, youth and a youthful brain/memory. I think I maybe had one once, but I can't remember for sure :>) ~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

That's a good way to remember it!

Besneys
Guru
Besneys

thanks Mrs Driver,
We love hols when all the family go like you say parents, me and hubby, usually at least two daughters and three grands sometimes son and wife and another grand I love it..we went to Jamaica a couple of years ago and took up one of the small beaches to ourselves..well no-one to upset when the grands started splashing everyone...just love it x

Anne x

Page 3 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics