Username Post: New & Confused        (Topic#1583709)
mtread 
New Kid On the Block

I originally went to Hobby Lobby in an effort to get scrapbook starting material to work with my daughter (10 years old) on starting a scrapbook of her swim team participation. I decided to purchase some materials so that I could begin a general family scrapbook at the same time (along side her as a way to spend time with her).

So, a few hundred dollars later, I think I got many of the basics covered and gaver her her stuff at Christmas.

My ex did some scrapbooking, so I'm familiar with some of the concepts.

I've stared to go through the class and some of the threads here, but have some questions:

1. What's the best way to include things like ribbons and other physical mementos (other than the pictures)? Should we attach those to the page itself in the same manner as the pictures and embellishments or should there be a separate pocket of sorts to keep those items?

2. I don't get the punches. I've read about it, but I'm sure I'm understanding how it's used and what is required?

3. I'm also confused by the fonts/journaling. My handwriting is terrible. Do I print from my computer with standard inkjet and then crop the result to the page or are there separate writing machines/devices used to get better quality and longer lasting result than inkjet?

Thanks - I'll continue to read and will probably have some "ah ha" moments, but just am not quite figuring out the above questions yet.

Mark

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mtread

Hi Mark - what a wonderful idea - to scrap along-side your daughter. Awesome.

Your questions:

1. I add personal momentos the same way I add photos. I often mat them. I rarely use ribbon (I have all men in my family) but when I do I run them through my xyron - (about $10, neat little device to have and is sold wherever you buy scrapbook supplies) or I use my ATG (Automatic Tape Gun which is a large tape runner). I dont' like to use wet adhesives with ribbon because it bleeds through.

If memorbilia is on cheap paper and I'm not comfortable that it isn't going to fade or discolor then I make a photo copy of it and put it in. If it looks like the ticket or whatever is on nice paper then I use it as it is. Sometimes I spray it with "Make it Acid Free" but not very many do that.

Some make pockets but that isn't my style. I like it all "out there" and work the memorabilia into the design of my page. But I've seen stunning pages made with pockets and tucked-away places.

Once I put my pages in the protector sleeves I don't want anyone touching the actual pages, just the protectors so the interactive books are not for me.

2. Some people get punches, some don't. Its what you like. I think they can really dress up a page and give it personality but they aren't necessary. I scrapped for quite a while before I purchased the first one.

3. My handwriting is also horrible and I like to journal a lot so I do all my journaling on computer. I have a laserjet but I don't think it matters. I just print out my journaling and put it on my pages. Usually I mat it to go along with the other things on the page.

Hope that helps. Enjoy scrapping with your daughter!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Henri Jean

I think Henri summed it up nicely!!
First off, have fun! It is a way to spend time with your daughter. My boys like to scrapbook too. I give them my pictures that I am not using. They love it!

As far as punches, I find them very addicting. I love Stampin' Up punches because they have matching stamp sets. Pinterest has tons of ideas with punches. I would say start small, punches are pricey but you can do a lot with punches. I use punches to create embellishments instead of buying stickers all the time. So in the end, my $11-16 dollar punch does save me money in the long run because I can use them over and over again!

Jessica G-B
Expert
Jessica G-B
In response to binkiemonstermom

Something you might want to look into for you and your daughter is to see if any local scrapbook stores, or chain stores offer beginner classes or crop nights. It sometimes helps to have a guide to help you get started.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Jessica G-B

Excellent point! Michaels has crop Saturdays which are pretty good because the people from the scrapbook dept get in there with you and do their own work as well as answer questions, help you if you need it, give advice if helped, run onto the main floor to get anything you need and they also have the Cricut, a selection of punches and all kinds of other supplies for you to use.

Michaels also has a beginning class and Archivers has a very good beginning class if you are lucky enough to live near an Archivers. One of the things I miss most about not living in Atlanta anymore.

mtread 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Henri Jean

Thank you all for the suggestions/advice. I really appreciate it.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-09-13 10:56 AM
In response to mtread

Another suggestion - browse through the galleries here. There are TONS of great pages to inspire you, and you can search in a lot of different ways - by theme, number of photos, style, colors, etc.

Also, if you're curious about a product, if you pull it up in the store here they will very often show pages where that product has been used.

mtread 
New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

I didn't realize one could search by number of photo's - thanks for the tip - I've started looking through the gallery and it's very interesting and inspirational!

Thanks,
mark

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to mtread

Hi Mark,
I just wanted to add a couple things....punches are a great way to add decorative edges to papers or to punch out shapes to use as embellishments or backgrounds for journalling etc...
They are easy to use and probably cheaper to invest in a few generic punches than in a whole diecutting system at first...
Journalling - I also hate my handwriting and don't use it very often. I prefer to do my journalling in Word on the computer (there are tons of free fonts online as well) and print it out....one tip, you can print on anything that will fit in your inkjet printer....I use my pattern papers, vellum, acrylic, patterned printer paper etc...I just cut it to fit through the 8 1/2 x 11 printer and that way I get something that looks a whole lot nicer than regular white printer paper! (you can use punches to punch out the journalling in a shape and then adhere to your LO as well!)

Have Fun!
Alison

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to kiyawinn

I think its great you want to scrapbook with your daughter. And I think everyone has already given you some great advice.

I too incorporate my memorabilia (also known as ephemra) into my layouts and attach them on my page like photos.

I'm not thrilled with my personal handwriting. Sometimes I do write things by hand, other times I use my inkjet printer and crop it. I love alphabets for doing page titles and the like, and I have several. Some of my alphas are stickers, some are punch outs. but I recently found some wonderful free computer fonts. Dingbat fonts make interesting embellishments. And since I can print this stuff I don't have to worry about running out of a certain letter in a specific style, size, or color.

I make a lot of my own embellishments, and even use found items in layouts. I don't own a die cutting system and likely won't ever get one. I simply enjoy making my own things by hand.

mtread 
New Kid On the Block
In response to flhomeschoolmom

Great stuff, everyone! I appreciate it. I hope to get my photo prints soon and finally get started.

Lain Ehmann
Tenant
Lain Ehmann
In response to mtread

Also, don't be afraid to start simply. You don't need anything more than some card stock, adhesive, and some photos to get started. The rest is FUN but you don't have to over-invest! The surest way to get burned out and overwhelmed is to buy a bunch of stuff you don't know how to use, and then get frustrated.

Remind yourself of why you want to scrapbook in the first place -- to record stories? Spend time with your daughter? Be creative? Then start from THAT place. The rest is just icing.

Tenant
In response to Lain Ehmann

What a great way for father daughter bonding. Enjoy your time with her they grow up so fast.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics