Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Art Journal/smash book ideas        (Topic#1583723)
Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

Yah I still have not used my prima art journal that we got from the nsd prize packs. I feel so bad about that! But it's the beginning of a new year so what better time to start using it!

Today I saw a smash book video and want to buy a smash book too or accessories for it to use in the prima art journal.

The reason I question the buying a smash book when I already have the prima art journal is that i'd like a book for daily life and one to be an art journal for inspiration. Should I buy a smash book too or can both ideas be combined into 1 book?

Am wondering why the prima "art" journal has 12 months of calander pages? And then there are a couple map pages. About the only traveling I do is to town once or twice a month to do the shopping. Should I just recover those pages?

As far as the art part goes I want to try different technigues which I guess could be done through out all the pages but I also have about 100 fav layouts that i'd love the techniques or color schemes and such but i'd love to just print small images of those to put those in the book too for inspiration.

Have lined up a bunch of youtube smash book videos to watch for the rest of the day!

Any smash book/art journal ideas again would be much appreciated. I've got to get my procrastinating butt in gear finally and do this!

Oh and Happy New Year to all of you! You've all been so kind to me and helpful to me in the past and I can't tell you how much i've appreciated it! Thank you!!!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Cindyckj on 01-01-13 11:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Cindyckj

Also I just remembered that I have the pink paislee mistables 6x9 album. I'm not much for making mini albums ans such and would rather make layouts and the pages in this are just paper and the rings are big enough that I could add more pages easily.

So maybe I could use the prima for a smash book and the mistables for the scrapbooking inspiration?

litlplace
Resident
litlplace
In response to Cindyckj

You can do whatever you want. Remember, the only rule is - there are no rules.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to litlplace

Ok thinking now of just recovering the calender pages of the prima ART journal and using it as an art journal. I'll use it for techniques and pics of lo's and color schemes. Can't wait time tie some ribbons on the rings and make it look all pretty!

After watching all those smash book videos I now have to get one! The way they have those set up and all the accessories will probably make it easier for me to keep going with it.

Just need to get in town to get one.

mrs.farmer
Veteran
mrs.farmer
In response to Cindyckj

I know Ill probably be the laughingstock but I have to ask anyways LOL What are these for?

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to mrs.farmer

Im not sure how to really explain it but maybe a quick form of scrapbooking. Check out the video here in the superstore. I'll link a product for you.

Edited by Cindyckj on 01-02-13 05:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Cindyckj

The other day I was at Joanne Fabrics buying a new paper stack and I sew some smashbooks. I went through one and thought about getting it, but then I decided not to. Now I wish that I had. So I'll probably go back tomorrow and get it. I've been sort of fighting the temptation to try it, but now I wonder why. Heck, if I don't like it at least I'll know that I don't like it...lol But maybe it will be one more way to get artistic and creative!

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Crafting Marfa

I finally going in town tomorrow and figure with a coupon the book itself shouldn't be too bad. I had been resisting this trend for a good long too.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Cindyckj

I made my own smash book using a 12x12 spiral bound scrapbook that I had. I've been using it as a combination art journal/smash book.

I try new techniques and play around with different paints and inks and sprays and powders and stamps etc on the blank pages. Then, if whatever I was doing doesn't come out nice, I cover the whole page with a coat of paint and stamp/emboss/etc on it.

Then, finally, I use the finished pages to stick tickets, little cards, small pics etc on.

I've discovered a number of pretty fun results that I can use on layouts and cards and such AND I have a place for all the little daily things that I want to keep!

I take it to every crop I go to. Its a nice change of pace when I don't feel like working on a layout, but I still want to work on something.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to Kim222

Love this thread... I have company in the confused by Smashbooks corner! I have one, love the idea, but don't have the faintest clue what to do with one. I've looked around here and on the internet a bit and I'm still lost. Maybe they're just not for me, LOL!

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to *jesse*

I have 3 smash books and I use them for the pictures that I probably would not use on a regular lo... I have one page that I put together of a love letter my husband gave me 15 years ago. What I love is I take anything I like and just slap/glue it on the pages... It's my memories that I keep private... Plus I love the paper pages in the books... It's just fun to put keepsakes and stuff in.

Edited by debby_westbrook on 01-03-13 10:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to debby_westbrook

So I went to Michaels and my lss today for smash book items.

Went to m's first and saw smash book stuff and there was hardly anything. The pink book and the pink kit so I bought the kit and a set of tabs. Wanted to only buy the book with the coupon and what I couldn't get at the lss. I asked at the check out if that was the only place in the store for the smash stuff and she said yes cause they were right up front sorta by the check out.

Then off to the lss and bought a few list books, phrase tabs and an amy tangerine stamp like the smash kind and of course some prima flowers i'd been wanting and some smash washi.

then back to m's to spend the rest of of the gift cert and use my last coupon. This time I actually ventured around more. I generally hate shopping and like to get in and out of stores quickly and plus I had the kiddo with me today so he could finish his christmas money off at the game store. And what do ya know there was every color of the other smash books like the orange one I was wanting and the smash stamp and a couple other books and more little phrase tags and the rest of the washi I wanted. So with the coupon the book it's self I thought was so cheap.

So now I have two smash books. Only wanted 1. Can't bring my self to return the other one!

And one again I think i've overwhelmed myself! Don't know why I do that to myself. I want something so bad and wait and wait till I can finally afford it and I go overboard and buy all the accessories I can get my little hands on and then can't figure out what to use first! So many choices! Too many decisions!

And on that other post of mine, the scoring board/trimmer post those two items went right out the door. figured My trimmer I have works fine and Yes I can use it to score so why not get something I don't already have.

Oh and when I checked out at M's the second time I made sure to let the same check out girl know that YES the smash book items were ALSO located in another area! If she had told me about the other area it would have saved me at least the cost of the second smash book and stamp.

Edited by Cindyckj on 01-03-13 10:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ximxyoursx
Pro
ximxyoursx
In response to Cindyckj

I have the Prima journal AND a smashbook and haven't started either so you guys definitely aren't alone....

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to ximxyoursx

I have the Pink, Green and Orange books. I had the same problem, where to start. Now I pick a picture or a paper memory and I go through all 3 books and pick out a page I like to go with the memory. I can't use just one book at a time, so I'm playing with all 3... lol... I still want the Red and Black books...

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to debby_westbrook

Well it's a start! Not a very original subject to start with. lol

Was fun getting to use that paper I practiced misting with dylusions mists and stencil that I got so long ago from the nsd prize pack.

My first smash pages!

First Smash Book page By Cindyckj

Besneys
Guru
Besneys
In response to Cindyckj

I use my smashbook for my private things its purely mine...my scrapbook is open for anyone to view. I love how you in the US write journals we over here in the uk use diaries which mostly give dates and times for appointments etc, I also have a journal to complement my diary but don't write everyday just important things so the book is in date order, oh what a tangled life I lead..why not just one book/journal, 'cos like they say there are no rules xx

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Besneys

I have the orange one and have used it for the 2012 stuff my DGS gave me, the theme parks tickets/maps, minature golf score cards, museums we visit maps, cards he makes me, items from places he goes with his parents, letters he writes to me, etc. We like to take those silly photos at the theme parks machines so I put those in it too and any photo that I do not scrap with that particular adventure. I call the book - our adventures.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to prittb

I, too, have the Prima journal. I use it for a therapeutic art journal, meaning the pages are private. I do not have a smash book, but I'm considering making my own.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to BlingQueenRia

If anyone ways to make their own, here's a link:

http://binditall.blogspot.com/2011/08/have-bind-it- all-...

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to Cindyckj

So far I have only made one but intend to do more in the future. I did not want to spend a lot of $$ on this so I just made my own. The cover was cut from a Fed-Ex box that came w/ a shipment. I made some plain pages from cheap card stock and then made some pocket pages from the same stock. The booklet was then bound w/ a Cinch. It is used to keep a record of and to collect items for a project -- sort of a workbook -- to be put together in the future. I am happy with the functionality of the result and the cost was minimal.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics