Username Post: Photo manager        (Topic#1583847)
tricia07
Guru
tricia07

What software would you recommend for managing your digital photographs on a Mac computer?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to tricia07

I had Windows computers for years, and developed a folder system in File Manager which became Explorer.

When I switched to a MacBook Pro, I kept my original folder structure in Finder, but I also used iPhoto, which is Apple's equivalent. That meant that I had my many-thousand photos in two different places on my Mac. And that was stupid. But I wanted to find out whether I was happy switching to iPhoto completely.

I discovered that I wasn't. When my MackBook needed a rebuild, I ditched my iPhoto library and went back to using Finder.

It really depends on how your mind works. IPhoto is very visual and I need the words. I could never find anything I wanted in iPhoto except by date.

How have you got your photos organised at the moment?

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 01-05-13 06:40 PM
In response to RedSquirrel

Hello! I have an iMac & use Photoshop Elements 9 for Mac. It has an organizer side & elements side for altering, editing etc. I have been very happy with it. Prior to my iMac, I had a Windows PC with PSE ( photoshop elements) on it.. so was able to transfer the images via backup cd's onto the Mac. I also have a back up drive so i know the pics are backed up.. plus Macs Time Machine. I do not have the Apple Cloud enabled as i wanted more control over the photos on the Mac!
I really like the PSE organizer.. I found it to be pretty basic. The image side to it has a bit of a learning curve.. but lot's of info all over the internet! I hope this helps!!

Edited by Foamy on 01-05-13 06:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tricia07
Guru
tricia07
In response to Foamy

My photos now are all over the place! I have some on our backup hard drive because my computer died in 2011 (son sprayed my laptop with water lol) so then I got a Mac...totally different than a PC so now I have a ton of pictures in iphoto and folders. I watched a tutorial on iphoto yesterday and started playing around with it. So far I like it. I looked at a couple of apps for the Mac but it looks like iphoto does pretty much all they do except detailed editing. I am thinking of getting Photoshop Elements for that...but that will take a huge learning curve I am sure.

Just read your message Foamy...I didn't realize PSE had a organizer side to it. Will have to look into that...I am 99% sure I want the software as I just got a D3100 DSLR camera and I want the capabilities to edit the photos etc. Plus I want the digital scrapbooking side of that as well as MemoryMixer because I know with MM you can only use their pages/embellishments etc so PSE would let me use others.

All this is a little overwhelming lol! That and DH decided that I should sell my Mac that's only a year old and get the new Mac that just came out...so now it's transfer all the files over to the new computer etc...what a pain!

Thank you guys so much! I think MM and PSE will help me a bunch!! And with these two programs I don't feel like I am overlapping software because the PSE does so much more than MM.

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 01-06-13 06:02 PM
In response to tricia07

I think you will like PSE! It has made my life easier!! Have fun with it!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Foamy

I forgot about the Organiser on PSE! Yes, that's good too - it's a lot like iPhoto, so if you get on with iPhoto then you'll like PSE Organiser.

I have PSE9 on my MacBook Pro and love it. So I suppose I have two different photo organiser software packages, and I still use Finder. I'm just too set in my ways.

tricia07
Guru
tricia07
In response to RedSquirrel

Purchased PSE just a little while ago! So far I love the organizer...I like it because it's a lot like explorer in the way the folders are set up...Thinking I might like it better than iPhoto! ;-) Still playing with both though. Like that I was able to import folders from my hard drive as well..man it's a MESS though! Now to clean up all these pictures! Crazy!!!

BTW I got the new Mac yesterday (heheh) and so I had to transfer all my files from my old Mac to my new Mac and it was so freaking easy!!!! I love Apple! ;-)

tricia07
Guru
tricia07
In response to tricia07

@ RedSquirrel

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 01-07-13 03:45 PM
In response to tricia07

• tricia07 Said:
Purchased PSE just a little while ago! So far I love the organizer...I like it because it's a lot like explorer in the way the folders are set up...Thinking I might like it better than iPhoto! ;-) Still playing with both though. Like that I was able to import folders from my hard drive as well..man it's a MESS though! Now to clean up all these pictures! Crazy!!!

BTW I got the new Mac yesterday (heheh) and so I had to transfer all my files from my old Mac to my new Mac and it was so freaking easy!!!! I love Apple! ;-)

Ohhh I know! Macs are soooo easy & smooth! I love Apple too!
Have fun with your pics!

tricia07
Guru
tricia07
In response to Foamy

Well usually they are! I took my old imac and erased the hard drive and reinstalling Mountain Lion was AWFUL!!!! Had to retry it 9 times, no joke! FINALLY when my hubby walks in the door it works! He didn't touch the computer just walked in the door and the install that was trying to run worked! Now he's all big headed saying it's all because of him lol. ML is a PAIN to install! BUT it's done now thankfully lol!

Thanks so much Lynn!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics