Username Post: Another newbie and from down under in New Zealand        (Topic#1583859)
mycowsnz
Expert
mycowsnz

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but not really new to scrapbooking. I have been doing it for about 3 years but I get stressed every time I try and do a page and think its not good and then embarrassed to show anyone and feel more at ease doing beyond the page projects. i know this is funny as its my way but maybe I just want it to be perfect whatever that is anyway I have posted up some of the pages I did for my daughter's 18th bday but I would love some ideas and help and of course friends. I do very simple and not creative LO so any ideas to spice up my LO would be great but easy enough so I don't get stressed. Is anyone else on here from New Zealand? Thanks for reading and I hope to be able to make friends with some of you soon.
Regards
Michelle

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to mycowsnz

I think your LO's are wonderful... You can go through the gallery to get ideas too..

Maybe you can turn the pictures of your LO's before posting them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to debby_westbrook

I'm not from New Zealand but I love your country. I've been to Christchurch and Dunedin and 3 or 4 other places and I love it. Anxious to go back.

If you find Chilechicken on here, she lives in Christchurch. I know there are others but I'm drawing a blank on names.

mycowsnz
Expert
mycowsnz
In response to Henri Jean

Hi Debby and Henri
Thanks for the welcome. Debby I didn't know they were the wrong way round oops thanks for the heads up. Henri, I'm glad that you have visited NZ and yes we have a beautiful country. Ok I have just got in from milking the cows so I'm off to have some brekkie the I have a date with a treadmill, my iPod and 30 mins of walking. Hope you both have a great day
Michelle

cindy71
Resident
cindy71
In response to mycowsnz

I think you're off to a great start! I love the soccer page!

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to cindy71

Why don't you like your pages? They are lovely!

What I mean is, look at your pages, and think about what you think they are missing. Want to get better at graphic design? Take a class from Cathy Zielske at BigPictureClasses.
Want to layer more paper and use more pretty stuff? Check out Shimelle Laine's blog.

Your pages are great as they are, but if you aren't satisfied, figure out why, and then you can come up with a way to fix that.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Hdubarry

Welcome!

I agree with what Hdubarry says, and I'd like to add something. Look at your pages that you like the best. What do you like best about them? The balance? The matting? The colour schemes? The layering? Specific techniques? The "white" space? Now do the same in the Gallery. Which pages catch your eye? Why? Try to reproduce the reason why you like them on your own pages.

Some tips I have learned:
- not to angle my photos too sharply.
- to link all my photos by having a piece(s) of paper behind them that touch(es) each of them, and isn't the background card-stock.
- things work best in odd numbers: clusters of embellishments in 3s or 5s.
- a visual triangle: if you have pink in one photo and a pink title, try to include a third bit of pink, a flower for example, to make a triangle that draws the eye from one to the other around the page.
- symmetry: it will be balanced if you can draw an invisible line through the centre of your page (in any direction) and the two halves are roughly mirrored.

Hope that helps a little!

We spent 2 weeks in NZ last year - what an amazing place you live in. I would move there in a heartbeat if I didn't have family here.

Diva
In response to RedSquirrel

Welcome...and I do love your LOs.

bonprof
Diva
bonprof
In response to mycowsnz

Relax!! Your layouts are lovely. We turn to this hobby to get away from stress, not to have stress. Enjoy telling your story.

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to bonprof

Welcome!! I'm in Australia so close enough to NZ lol
Hope your finding sb.com enjoyable and advice helpful!
You've got some great work there, keep at it and work out what it is that's bothering you and change things up, try a new technique, take a class or leave your page and come back to it later with new eyes
Renee xx

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics