Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Do you have to protect your scrap supplies from your dog, or vice versa?        (Topic#1583875)
jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva

We are getting a small dog soon. I wonder if I need to protect my papers and supplies from the little gal and if I should also make sure I keep certain small items away so she won't hurt herself by swallowing or chewing on them?

Thanks for your advice!

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to jellyziva

Short answer- Yes!

Longer answer-as a person who's had 4 horses, upwards of 30 cats, 6 dogs, 3 baby raccoons, an injured owl and numerous other rescued critters, anything you're interested in, they'll be interested in. And they (except for the horses of course) don't show their interest in your hobby by helping you decide where the chipboard needs to be or by which color stickles would look best or which embellishment needs to go up in that corner. No, they show their interest by chewing on all of it or licking it or batting it away and hiding it to chew on later.

I'm not a believer in cages, so my scrapbooking and other hobbies are completely removed from any of the animals we have, it's just easier that way rather than trying to have them be a part of it. Unless it's an older, mellower dog or cat who is more interested in just being in the same room and less interested in just how good that glue tastes.

If it's possible for you, and you want your new little darlin' to be a part of what you're doing, put up one of those dog gates and give her something to chew on whilst you are scrapbooking. That way you're close to each other, she's got something to chew on and you can scrap without worrying about how you're going to explain to the vet about all that glitter around her mouth and that you're really not sure how much was in the bottle to start with.

And before anyone is worried that I should be on one of those animal hoarder shows, we haven't had all of our wonderful critters at the same time, we're on a first name basis with our vet and have put at least 2 of his kids though college and we live in an area where folks throw these animals away and we've got the room for them and love them all. They're involved with just about everything we do, but they don't help me with the scrapbooking~LOL!

Good luck with your new 4 footed family member!!!!!

Cindyckj
Expert
Cindyckj
In response to jellyziva

Dogs and cats are like having a small child running around the house. So thinks need to be baby proofed. lol This means cords, brads, eyelets, ribbon and fibers, papers, adhesives and so on.

With any of that stuff your animals could get seriously hurt in some way so not only do you need to protect them but also protect your supplies. Animals to have accidents sometimes so not having supplies where they could get peed on is also a good idea.

I have a dog and 2 persian cats so even cleaning my desk up when i'm done is a must. Adhesive and long haired cats is a mistake you only make once.

Good luck

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to Cindyckj

Yes specifically makeup sponges I use for inking. For some reason my dog thinks they are toys.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to Cindyckj

I agree with everything said so far! I have for me that the big plastic totes work great for storing and prevent damage from them all. I like to get the clear ones so I can see what is inside. I have had a big dog chew on the handles as a puppy but nobody ever got into one. Rubber stamps have been chewed on many times over the years by my dogs and no injury to them Thankfully! But if things are on a shelf that a pet can reach...it may not be there when you go back to finish it.
I try to make sure the 'kids' as I call them, have toys to keep themselves entertained. Something as simple as a wadded up paper works great for my youngest kittens. But if one asks for attention when I am working on scrapping, I will stop what I am doing and go sit on the floor with them or pick them up and hole them for 5-10 minutes and give them the attention they want. Then put them back down, wash my hands and go back to working. the one wanting attention usually goes and has a nap after their attention time is done
Think of it this way, if you even have an inkeling the pets might be interested in something, put it safely away and save the distress. They are all just curious animals and of course want to know what YOU find so interesting, so have to investigate

Tenant
In response to catzscrapper

For someone who has a cat that loves to walk on her cricut mats......I also put everything away. I try to be very careful with my supplies but my dog will steal my ribbon and the cat does love sticky stuff so I have to keep an eye on things.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Pattycake92

Shirley, I agree with what everyone says, especially it being like baby proofing. My DBs dogs especially loved to eat my wood stamps. That was back when I lived with his family and no one respected my privacy or my things so they would just go in my room and leave the door open and the dogs would jump on my bed and get into the things on the table from there.

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34
In response to NMlady

i have a baby gate to keep the dog out of the room unless i am there... and the cats only go in if i am there and then they think the ribbon is a toy meant for them - arghhh

SherylEb
Guru
SherylEb
In response to leokc34

My dogs (long haired chihuahuas) have always been small, so they cant get to my scrap stuff, but they definitely would have if they could have reached it.

My last dog would sit on my lap and watch me scrap. Never messed with any of it. The one I have now lays in her bed at my feet while I scrap. She does love the iPad though. She will watch scrap videos, like she really understands. She also like to turn he page when I read. Although sometimes she doesn't think I read fast enough. LOL

vawm
vawm 
Mayor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-05-13 09:49 PM
In response to SherylEb

My dog only sniffs things. She is a lab mix. She will sit and put her head on my wrist when I am working at my computer, but no problem with paws on the crafty table......yet!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to vawm

Fortunately I have only 2-legged animals in the house. And even then my scrap area is off limits unless I say OK. But if I did have pets, Id definitely keep them off limits to the room for all the reasons listed, not to mention, potential accidents on your supplies and lingering smell/damage to items, and HAIR. I dont think in general that animals and scrapbooking mix well, as much as they'd love to be around you, they need to stay off the pretties!

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to ScrappyMama6

Rio has never had issues with scrapbook supplies. He did however eat an entire massively large bag of treats yesterday. I accidentally left it on the table and left for the day. He is still ticked at me for being gone so much at work and due to my mom being sick.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to riorabbit

I have a cat that likes to "look". But anything that hits the floor is fair game to be played with....in HER opinion!!! Buttons and eyelets end up in her mouth, so I have to make sure they are picked up immmediately.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to binkiemonstermom

I've got 3 cats, they used to be all over the place when they were babies. Their mother never been interested in the things I do other than the pc. And even then, she would just sit in me lap n look at the screen n that was it. Her kitties were a whole diff story. They got into everything that they coul get their paws on. I didnt knew what came over me! Never had curtain crawlers before but they managed to crawl all the way to the top. I've lost a lot of plant pots to them aswell an a vintage leather chair aswell. Once they lost their baby hairs, they mellowed down. Now they are able to sit next to me, or lay down, without getting into things. I can even eat me meal with them next to me and not have to worry about me foods.

I reckon it kinda depends on the pet themselves and you as an owner aswell. Teach their limits and boundaries right from day one. And teach them like the mother would. Pick them up by the neck when they do someting they not allowed to do, if they go on, a gentle tap on the nose just to let them know, hey, thats not allowed. It will be a while before they get it tho but it can be done as long as yer firm and consistent with them. And when you are convinced that they wont damage anything, slowly bring in your craft stuff, things that arent the expensive kind... They will be curious at first tho... And at the end of the day, when you are done finishing crafting, put yer project in an album or a box and put it away. Thats what I do. For cats its different tho than that it is for dogs. Cats generally jump on tables when yer asleep, dogs usually dont...

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to TheCharmedOne

i used to have small dogs, none of them really played with my scrapbook things. i had some that would sit in my lap while i scrapped. only issue i think i have had was leaving some supplies out around a dog that wasn't potty trained yet and...well, yuck!
cats for me are another story...they love my scrapbook supplies. they love chewing on stickers, pulling prima flowers off drying lo's, jumping onto the table to pull scrapps, batting ribbon, lying on top of drying stickles, etc. they are cute, but can be a handful. Having bins and other storage items to organize and store them helps to keep paws off the supplies.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to _pink_glitter_hearts_

My SIL just posted on FB that her dog ate her SD card with all her pics from her trip to Germany.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to NMlady

if your dog is a puppy, it will be worse,,,,,,,,but YES for protecting all animals,,,,and all scrapping supplies.

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to CommaHolly

Absoultely! Just today, I left the room for...like...30 seconds, and when I came back Molly had gotten hold of one of my pens. Fortunately there`s only a couple of teeth marks in the cap, and neither of them were deep enough to actually break through the plastic.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to jellyziva

Oh, yeah! Having a dog is very much like having a small child. They are very curious since everything is new to them; pretty much whatever they find goes into their mouth; everything is theirs and they'll carry it off in the blink of an eye; they have no sense of danger or limits. Protect the pup and protect all things scrappy! It will make your life so much easier. (It's also cheaper than vet bills.) Have fun with both!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Ms. Fit

Thanks for all the insight - we are thinking about getting a dog for our DGS.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics