Username Post: Photos of Old Friends        (Topic#1583889)
New Kid On the Block

what do you do with photos of old friends that you don't talk to anymore but already have that event scrapped in your book? I have a stack of photos that didn't make the layouts. Do you toss them or file them away?

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to jacxson

I would keep them.
Who knows, maybe someday they may become famous- favorably or unfavorably !

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ChansGram

If I've scrapped someone I'm not in touch with anymore, the page stays in the books.

If I have extra photos I didn't use, I"m not inclined to keep them. After I scrap a page I either give the overflow of photos to other people in them, if they are are family I send them to my mother and if no one would want them I toss them out.

Still, I have a huge cardboard box of photos I need to do something with. My kids aren't going to want them so I need to sort out who migh actually want some of them and get rid of the rest.

Any photos that are any good are in my scrapbooks.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Henri Jean

I would scan the photos and keep them in a folder of "old friends" on my computer....then I would chuck the actual photos.
I don't like stuff hanging around but I do like old memories....

Alison

New Kid On the Block
In response to jacxson

Unless I have something against that person I hang onto them. I love pictures, and the memories that go along with them.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to michellel.avery

I love photos. If they are family I'll keep them and I will scrapbook the original photos. I don't do that to all the photos. I'll usually put some in a photo ablum on the side write information about the photo. If I know the information. But the photo I don't want I know some families might want I put them in a pail and put them in a some type of folder with their names on it. But the people I did this for still hasn't come over to claim them. So they are put away in a box. I won't get rid of photos. Especially family ones. If no one wants them. I'll still keep them and hopefully will get past on through the family if I don't have any kids.

Justie

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to justartguy007

With the prevalence of facebook, it's easy for people to find you and get back into touch with you.
You might not keep in touch now but who knows what the future will hold. And it's always good to keep memories regardless. I say keep them and enjoy the memories. Write down who everyone is now so you don't forget names.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to fknapoleon

Cleaning my brothers basement this week, I came across a box of "old" photos...some of his marriage to the ex wife, other stuff that has her in it. Made me hate her all over again, and they've been divorced 6 yrs or so...But i happened to look thin n beautiful in some of those shots...I plan on going thru them n cutting her out, and putting the rest in a scrapbook of the fam thru those years. I will just be selective. I also have my very first pages ever done, way back in like 1997...they were of my former best friend and her kids, one of whom is my godson. It is awful to look at them now, it brings up the hurt of ending our friendship all over again. And I DONT look good in these pics. In one I am wearing an Easter sticker on my forehead, because thats where the kids put it!

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to Juansmom

Yeah I have facebook have some family memebers on there. I decided to make a album of the old family photos. I know the family would enjoy since most are single copies. I had them all mostly scaned already. So, I uploaded them to my album I made in my personal facebook and link it to where only family could see the album. My aunt email me the next day saying it was cool to see the old photos of the family. Photos she never seen before I told her to just download copies she doesn't have and enjoy them. I won't throw away any photos of mines. I told my family if you don't want any photos. Especially of the family give them to me I will scan them and then put them in scrapbook albums. So people in our family can view them and see the information.

My sister would do the samething with my brother wedding photos to his ex wife if she got her hands on them. Everyone told me don't show the photo you did of your brother and his ex wife. Because she would probably say rib it up, lol. I did a picture family book like a family tree book with just a photo of each family memeber with information on the side like birth and death divorce etc. My sister hates my brother ex wife if she saw any photos with her in it. She tears it up and throws in the trash. My aunt even gives my dad and uncle's ex wives the cold shoulder treatment at times too. You stick by family then the in laws that for sure.

Jusite

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

I have a tough time throwing away any photos. Before Christmas I was trying to sort some of the piles of pics into date order and found some of my Grandma's pics. I finally forced myself to throw away a photo that was a Christmas picture of the kids of a guy that Grandpa worked with years ago...and I still felt guilty. I recognize the family name, but I have no way of knowing how to contact any of them to send them the picture, so I actually reduced my photo mess by one picture :>) Who knows...maybe I'll throw another one away in 2013? Nah...probably not~Judy

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

I have trouble knowing what to call my uncle's ex when I label photos. They got divorced when I was a baby, so I never knew her as Aunt Jean, but to call her "Jean" is hard to do. She was one of my mom's good friends in their teen years and played a big part in Mom's life, so I include the pictures, but have a hard time with the labeling. Luckily, our family has very few divorces, so it makes albums much easier. My mom's sister was also divorced, but I never knew her ex and no one who knew any of them will ever see my albums, so I keep photos of her first husband...he was still a part of her life. If there were current divorces, with undercurrents...well, I'm just glad I don't have to figure that problem out!~Judy

KaybeeBitters
Guru
KaybeeBitters
In response to mrsdriver5

If you already have the photos on digital copy..plus the events are scrapped I say toss 'em out. No need keeping anything you dont need to..especially since SB'ers have lots of "stuff" as it is

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to KaybeeBitters

Yeah true but I keep the original and scrapbook most of them with photo corners or removeable glue dots. The rest that I don't scrap going in photo albums. I scan almost all them just in case someone wants a copy. I can print them off my kodak pritner. I love photos and don't think I'll ever throw them away. I labeled almost all the photos I came across. Some I don't know the people but know they are family. So I am trying to figure out who they are by posting the old photo on sites like ancestry(dot)com. I did find few people who help me id the people in the photos.

Yeah I have the same problem Judy my uncle was married three times he married to his current wife of almost 10 years. When I see other photos of him with his two ex wives or my aunt with her first husband. I just put their names down without saying aunt or uncle. Because it will easier that way for me anyways.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to KaybeeBitters

Nope, just can't do the throw away thing, even though I keep everything that's been scanned backed up on at least two hard drives. I keep the school pictures of my Grandma's neighbor's kids from back in the '50s :>) I at least knew them, whereas the one picture that I managed to toss, I had never met the kids in the picture...nor the parents. I felt quite proud of myself the day of the Big Toss. I might even do it again someday, but probably not in this decade.~Judy

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to mrsdriver5

Did these friends kill your dog and sleep with your spouse? It so, burn the photos!

Otherwise, keep them. If you're not particularly close any more, I may not scrap them... but these people WERE a part of your life at one time, so I wouldn't try to *erase* them. Unless, of course, the above scenario comes in to play.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

My uncle was married to his first wife whom we just adored and always will. Mom probably has pircures with her in them and she will always be family.

He married and divorced two more times and I think those pictures were just tossed. I don't have them anymore and I don't think anyone else kept any of them.

I was married to my first husband almost 10 years. After we divorced I hung on to my big fancy wedding albums but when I moved a year later there was no point in lugging that thing around so I pitched it. And all the pictures with him in it.

Later I asked the kids if they ever saw the wedding pictures of their father and me becuase their grandmother may have a few. They said they didn't want to see them. THeir dad and me - we were a train wreck and there was no reason they wanted to see pictures of us together.

I do have a nice picture of my mom with me and both of my brothers our spouses and all 7 of our kids that was taken professionallyl on Mother's Day on year - mom actually dragged us all to the photographer on that day and it was 63 miles away.

I wish so much my ex-husband had not been in it becuase it is so good of everyone else. I have a framed 11 x 14 of it and neither of my kids want it so it will find its way to the trash.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics