Username Post: Pictures Per Page?        (Topic#1583947)
mtread 
New Kid On the Block

I do get that there is "no wrong" in creating scrapbook pages, but in many of the layouts I see (especially the most recent ones), it seems there is a trend to one picture per page. These are beautiful layouts and extremely well crafted, so I'm not criticizing at all. As a newbie, I'd kind of assumed that I'd be putting several photo's per page - with maybe a bigger image on a title or first page of a theme/subject. I'll be doing 12 X 12 pages - so my question is whether many of you have found more than one or two photos to be difficult to craft around or too cluttered (and/or why does the trend tend to show one shot per page so often)?

Thanks!

Edited by mtread on 01-08-13 01:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mtread

I use as many pictures as it takes to tell the story. In some cases, there's only one pictures available or only one picture needed to tell the story. Some of the one-picture pages are situations where the artist wanted to highlight just one specific picture.

I find that page design starts to get cluttered once I get past three photos - but pictures can be cut down. I also tend to use a lot of NON-photo materials - booklets and tickets and souvenir-type items, so those take up visual space as well.

Edited by aquabunny on 01-08-13 01:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to aquabunny

I like using more then one photo. Because I am a simply scrapbooker I let the photos be the center of attendtion. There no right or wrong way. Put as many photos as you want. I did a layout recently of my great Uncle did a collage of photos of him. I did the collage on photoshop CS5 it came out ok. Probably not the best collage but it worked ok. If I do another collage it will only get better as time goes on. I think it works you can put more photos on a page that way.

Justie

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-08-13 04:32 PM
In response to justartguy007

There's definitely a popular trend toward very artsy scrapbooking, which mostly seems to have one photo. IMO the design of many pages completely overwhelms the photo, but I just prefer a different style. "Scrapbooking" to me is not always the same as "scrapbooking" to someone else - so, lots of styles to fit lots of people. (I also have a problem with applying the word "artist" to everybody, but that's just me being opinionated, lol )

I like to use lots of photos - I think 15 might be the most I've put on a single page. But I've also done quite a few pages with only one photo, or even none at all - just depends on the pics I have and the story I want to tell.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-08-13 04:34 PM
In response to stick

Haha, I had to go back and count - I did one page with 20 pics!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

That's a lot Kara and your layouts are awesome!

I usually put 3 or 4 becuase I do mostly travel layouts. I think the really fancy and elegant layouts with all the lace and embellies and things and one photo per layout are beautiful but when we travel I want the photos to tell the story and I want to include momentos and things.

The one-photo with lots of embellies is not me. I think that is what the design teams do but it is not the way I scrap.

I showed my husband some of the fancy samples once and he said if I just put one picture per page I'd need to find another hobby as our house would not hold all the scrapbooks.

When I do layouts of our granddaughter I sometimes only use one photo but I usually make the photo a 5 x 7 or 8 x 10, not just one little 4 x 6 somewhere.

I see some layouts that have so much on them its hard to find the photo and the photo no longer tells the story, the embellies do and they are often totally non-related to the photo. That just isn't me. I like journaling to explain the photos and usually (not always) a title and photos with momentos or other things.

mtread 
New Kid On the Block
In response to mtread

Thanks for all the responses. You all have been very helpful in my getting started with this hobby/activity. And, you've given me a lot to think about as I plan my first session. As I mentioned in a previous post, I plan to work on scrapbooking with my daughter, having her start with some of her swimming pictures and ribbons, while I work on various projects - overall family pictures, etc.

I tend to be someone who embraces new things like this and it's long been a goal of mine to organize my many boxes of mementos. I enjoy the tools/gadgets/supplies and that also will help me stay committed since I invested in it.

I work in IT, so have decided to paper scrap both as a break from the screen and due to the physical mementos I want to incorporate (and that it may be more fun as a Dad/daughter activity).

I am planning to take up photography in the next few months too (buying a good DSLR and signing up for classes).

Anyway, a little background about me - based upon what you shared, I think I'll stick with starting with multiple photo's per page.

Thanks again!

Edited by mtread on 01-09-13 07:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to mtread

There are more multiple-picture layouts than you think, and you can actually search the gallery by how many pictures people have on their page so you can fairly easily find multiple-picture layout inspiration. Good luck!

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to kariyava

I know what you mean. The single photo pages tend to be the arty ones. Some also embrace "white space" which is another style I love. I like doing those just as much as the multi-photo ones which more generally tell a story. The highest number of photos I have used is 20 - I just counted.

There is no right and wrong with scrap-booking, That's the glory of it, you can do whatever you like.

Tenant
In response to RedSquirrel

As a new scrapbooker also, I often search layouts that use a paper line I have to see what is being created with it. I noticed that many of them are layouts created for the company to showcase their product. Of course the emphasis will be on the product, not the photo. I have so many great photos, that I've decided to go back over the pages I've created and add multi-insert photo holder (not sure what they're called) in behind my scrapbook pages so I can still show off the "extras". I hope this will also make my pages blend with each other, since I've been doing individual pages that do not coordinate. I can add embellishments to the pocket photos to help with a sense of cohesion.

DisneyDani
New Kid On the Block
DisneyDani
In response to redfox78

I agree that I use as many photos as needed to tell the story I'm wanting to tell. In order to make sure my pages aren't too cluttered with photos or embellishments I play with the sizes of photos and I rely heavily on collages to get simple clean lines on the page. In the end it's really what works best for you and I know you can do it!

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to DisneyDani

I do both, just one pic and many pics on a page. It would be a little boring if all the pages looked the same, ya know what I mean? my scrap time can be limited so sometimes it takes me a few weeks to do a page, working on several at a time. I like to get everything I need for a page and then finish 5 or 6 at a time when I glue them all in one day. I do like the look of just one pic tho even with embellishments, it does focus you on the picture-does me anyhow .

Andra Hoffman
Resident
Andra Hoffman
In response to catzscrapper

How many photos I use depends on what I am working on, whether it's the size of the page or album like a mini album, or altered frame etc.
There definitely is no right or wrong way, just what you prefer and what works for you. I don't follow trends at all, I just scrap whatever it is until it has the *it* factor to considered completed.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Andra Hoffman

I'm a one photo scrapper (most of the time),if I use 2 or 3, it's rare,,,(although I don't scrap much, I do cards mostly)

IDK, I just LIKE one photo,,,,I want to emphasize the feelings of the moment a lot more than the actual event,,,,,I'm more likely to showcase the smile on my grandson's face at his birthday party, rather than the EVENT of the party,,,,,

do what you want do what seems right to you,,,,,everyone is different, and there's no right or wrong, as you said I just thought I'd add another perspective as to why someone would only use one photo.

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to CommaHolly

I do mostly 1 picture layouts. This is primarily because I stopped trying to scrap every single photo and in chronological order. Now I do it simply for the love of creating and it is usually a single pic that will inspire me.

With that being said - I have one layout in my gallery that has 78 pics (and was actually meant to have 82 but I didn't yet have the photos I needed.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Sherrenae

I usually do fewer pictures on my title page and 4 or more on the pages that follow (on the same event). I have tried to develope fewer pictures because I am getting overwhelmed. Seems I love every picture and can make a whole album out of each event!!... but I try to limit to 2-4 pages per event.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:
I'm a one photo scrapper (most of the time),if I use 2 or 3, it's rare,,,(although I don't scrap much, I do cards mostly)

IDK, I just LIKE one photo,,,,I want to emphasize the feelings of the moment a lot more than the actual event,,,,,I'm more likely to showcase the smile on my grandson's face at his birthday party, rather than the EVENT of the party,,,,,

do what you want do what seems right to you,,,,,everyone is different, and there's no right or wrong, as you said I just thought I'd add another perspective as to why someone would only use one photo.

I'm pretty much a one-photo scrapper, too. I'm highlighting one photo of one of my cats, or maybe a group people-shot, so I don't need more than one photo to tell a story usually. Sometimes I'll put both cats' photos on a page, but it's rare. I like the simplicity of the one photo!

But that's just me!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to meezerpleaser

I always said I would NEVER do a 12x12 page with only one pic ... but now I do it all the time

most of my LOs are 2 pagers, with 1-2 pics on one page and 3-4 pics on the other ... I've done LOs with as many as 6 pictures on one page

like others have stated, it depends on the story I want to tell and how many pictures I have of the event

mtread 
New Kid On the Block
In response to madmatter

Great stuff all - I really appreciate you all sharing your perspective and helping me think through all of this!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to madmatter

I usually use more than one picture per layout as I think it tells the story better. However, there are occasions where I'll scrap 1 picture per layout because that's all I have from the event (usually my son's school or team sport pictures). There is really no wrong way to scrap - just do what you like and have fun

Diva
In response to Mama2Thomas

I like to use multiple photos. Very seldom I will do a layout with only one photo unless is bigger that 4x6.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to Andra Hoffman

Yeah, I agree with Andra. It depends on the situation. Maybe I only have one photo for a particular subject (or sometimes none!). Other times I have several that will work together very well. For me it would be really boring to have all the pages in an album the same. Sometimes you get rolling on an album and the photos just find their own places and sort themselves out, or so it seems, and I just go with the flow as they say.

krystal8625.kc
Resident
krystal8625.kc
In response to mtread

I know what you mean! I am new-ish to all this too and was trying to find a way to fit more pictures into my layouts. I recently bought some divided up page protectors and my plan is to do the simple layouts with one or two pictures then slide more pictures into the divided up pages. I also buy wallet sizes of my photos so that I can fit more into my projects.

Diva
In response to krystal8625.kc

I am trying those as well. WIsh me luck!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to mtread

Another option is to create the page you want with the one or two best photos and then if you have more photos, add them into the album with a 6x12 page protector....you can also add journalling this way if you can't fit it on your page.

I like the creative part of scrapbooking but I also want to tell a story....sometimes I just can't fit all the pics on my LO and still do it the way I want to....I just put the extra ones in a smaller page protector....

Alison

JESblankets
New Kid On the Block
JESblankets

I agree... scrap the number of pictures that suit your event or thought of the layout.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to JESblankets

For me, I don't make additional photo albums; I just do my scrapbooks, so the one photo layouts don't work so well for me. Of course, cropping the photos as small as possible without losing something helps. To help minimize the clutter of a "high multiple pic page" I will go minimalistic with the colors/prints of the papers, concentrating mainly on a side border and then I go easy on embellishments. Nothing wrong with a plain white background with a little here and there in that situation. There will always be a 3/4 page layout later I can really go hog wild with.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to scrapchica

I have done multi-photo pages but I'd rather showcase one or two at a time. I usually just pick out my favorite photo from an event and focus on that. When I first started scrapbooking I stressed a lot about making sure each photo got scrapped. As many photos as I take that's pretty much impossible, so I felt I had to do a little compromising.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to olleharr

I'm sure most people have already said this, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in for good measure. I think that it depends on four main things:

1) What message are you trying to get across with your photos? Are you trying to highlight something in particular?

2) What paper are you using? Sometimes the paper can overwhelm the photos (or vice versa)

3) How many photos did you take for this event and how many do you want to use to tell the story?

4) How much of the other "stuff" do you want on the page? Will your embellishments have a place to fit in or will it be out of place?

This will give you a lot to think about, but if you approach your pages with this mentality, I think it will help a lot.

-Stephanie

SHeaRI
SHeaRI 
Resident
SHeaRI

My 2 cents... I've been scrapbooking for 12 years. Over time my style has changed and evolved. I have found my place in the scrapbooking world and it is as a simple, clean line, hybrid girl. 99% of my scrapbooking is of my children. I tend to take between 500-800 photos a month! Considering that for the past 3 years or so I've only been able to scrap twice a year at weekend retreat, I don't scrapbook everything. I pick my absolutely favorite photos and scrap them. They give me inspiration and make me happy. I don't scrap in order, I don't feel the need to scrap events because they happened. I know that I am in the minority but it is what works for me. I like the photos to speak to me and not feel pressure to scrap every little thing. That being said I don't think I crowd my photo with unnecessary embellishments just to fill space; I am totally fine with white space. In fact I have a LO that has NO embellishments at all (I'll have to find it and post it). Hang on....

SHeaRI
SHeaRI 
Resident
SHeaRI

Here it is... laugh By SHeaRI

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to SHeaRI

I began scrapping in 2003...back then most of my layouts were two pagers with multiple photos....then I joined the forums here in 2008 and my style changed...I do lots and lots of one pic layouts now. I scrap more for the art of it now instead of the story. I may change back some day.
One of my early layouts had 25 pics on it. Now if I have 3 on a page that's a lot and I seldom do 2 pagers.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dollscrap

Love your layout Sheari - that is gorgeous and it doens't need another thing. In fact anything else would take away from it - perfect as is.

I think you have to go back to why you scrap. We all have different reasons.

Many of the scrappers here are talented artists and the one-photo pages really give them a chance to shine. I'm not that good. I can't pull off a one-photo layout very often. I'm not an artist. But I don't care about the artist angle for me all that much. Maybe with just a few of my granddaughter but those layouts are rare.

I scrap vacation and trip and cruise layouts. For those, I like a lot of photos because I want to remember every thing we saw on the trip. If my husband says "where did we eat at the Chinese restaurant with the aquaruium and such and such happened" I can look it up. If we are talking about a building or statue, I can look it up in my scrapbooks.

WHen we go through our books we see everything we saw when we were travelling there and all the memories are intact through photos and journaling. Therefore I scrap all of my vacation photos - unless they are fuzzy, blurry or close duplications.

You just have to do what is right for you.

But for the person who scraps to documents trips and the person who scraps to capture special moments with a child or grandchild or a person who is really an artist at heart and they just want to make something beautiful... those are all different reasons to make scrapbooks and all are going to use different numbers of pictures.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics