Username Post: The Motherlode of heritage photos        (Topic#1584065)
Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead

My elderly aunt whom I don't see but every 10 years or so, gave me an old photo album that she thinks belonged to my mother. She's had it since 1974 when my grandmother died.

My mother has been gone since before my grandmother died, and I always wondered what happened to her pictures, as there were only 3 or so in my dad's photos (they had been divorced).

Anyway, the album is photos on that soft black paper that is crumbling apart. There is no back on the album either. Practically no one is identified.

I will be re-doing this into a regular 12 x 12 album, identifying everyone I can. Yes, I will scan all the photos, but I will be scrapping the originals unless they need "cleaning up". Most of them are in remarkably good condition considering their age. They were mounted on the paper with the corners, which are popping up. Considering how soft the paper is, that is no surprise.

This puts a whole new wrinkle on the heritage album I was going to make, because I have 6 times the amount of pictures now. There was very little from my mother's side of the family until now. Now it is the majority. The longer you live the more surprises you get.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Melonhead

Wow! What a treasure! What fun it will be to scrap all of these precious photos!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to flintridgescrapper

What a fun challenge you are going to happen. Maybe living relatives will help you identify some of the people.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Henri Jean

What a great gift~!!! Have fun!!!! My mom has a bunch of old photos...I want to someday go through her pile and scrap them!

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to binkiemonstermom

I have a suitcase full of framed photos my father left behind when he passed away in 1985. Most of those photos were taken in Europe before he came to America in 1934, leaving his entire family behind. I have no idea who those people were, and not one single living relative (thanks to the holocaust) who could help me identify them.

ScrapperKate03
Expert
ScrapperKate03
In response to Solitaire

What a great find! I loved working with my grandmother's old photos from when she was in her 20s. Such a treasure.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Melonhead

You are so fortunate!

Just this week I scanned the photos from an old album of my great aunt's that a cousin let me borrow. A few of the photos, I don't know who they are for sure, but I will figure it out. I am taking it with me on a trip next week and showing it to a 93 year old cousin of my mother's, she will identify some of them....she is in it!

I've been really lucky to have some cousins to share old family photos with me for my ancestry work...and of course scraping!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to CrimsonMama

That is super cool. I inhirted most of all my one grandmothers old family photos. I scanned them and put mostly all of them in a scrapbook too. I have some of my other grandmother family photos too. We had to put both of them in a nursing home. Since most of the family didn't want most of the photos. Or still haven't come to get some of them. I still have them will keep them as long as I'm live or until someone wants a copy of them. My mom has told her Great- Aunt to leave me all her pictures since some of them are of old family pictures from the 1920s and 1930s. Because my mother knows my uncle and his kids might not care for pictures only the ones with them or their family.

Enjoy your new found family photos.

Justie

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead
In response to justartguy007

OK, I just gently looked through the whole thing. Now I have to decide how I'm going to proceed.

I think I will take a photo of the cover to put on the "title page". The cover has an image of a donkey with a cart.But it is crumbling like the pages are. Then I'll take photos of each 2-page set. Many pages have loose photos between them that may have fallen out from other pages. These pages are about 11.5 " wide and 10" tall.

These are photos from the 1930s to the early 1950s.

I have a 12 x12 tapestry covered Pioneer album I'd like to use. Now I have to decide if I'll use all black pages like she did, to retain the original look, or put the photos on the pretty K & Co Ancestry.com paper.

Decisions!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Melonhead

I have a huge thick album on the black paper that was my parents. I also have my mom and dads scrapbooks from high school. Yes, my dad scrapbooked. They are still in the original albums. I don't think I could stand to take them apart to preserve them. They have leather covers that are tied bound.

My dad is definitely where we get the OCD organization genes. He labeled and organized everything!!!

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead
In response to SherylEb

I just took a picture of every page. Where there were loose photos stuck in I took another picture. I took 105 pictures.

This may take me a while...

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Melonhead

What an awesome, fun find! DH and I were given boxes filled with heritage photos from both sides of his family. Just sorting and labeling them all is a huge project within itself. Enjoy!

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to Luvmyfam

Congratulations on your "treasure trove." How wonderful of your aunt to do this for you! You have a big adventure/challenge ahead of you, and I'm sure you will enjoy every minute.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Melonhead

• Melonhead Said:
OK, I just gently looked through the whole thing. Now I have to decide how I'm going to proceed.

I think I will take a photo of the cover to put on the "title page". The cover has an image of a donkey with a cart.But it is crumbling like the pages are. Then I'll take photos of each 2-page set. Many pages have loose photos between them that may have fallen out from other pages. These pages are about 11.5 " wide and 10" tall.

These are photos from the 1930s to the early 1950s.

I have a 12 x12 tapestry covered Pioneer album I'd like to use. Now I have to decide if I'll use all black pages like she did, to retain the original look, or put the photos on the pretty K & Co Ancestry.com paper.

Decisions!

I have similar photo albums from my Mom and Dad. Mom wrote descriptions with white (fountain pen) ink on the black pages, so I want to keep her writing. I haven't officially started scrapping them yet, but I've scanned the complete pages, plus each individual picture (yes, it took a lot of time!) and am planning to have pages with the complete black page on it, then use the pretty papers to scrap the individual photos. I kind of know what I want to do...just trying to finalize it in my mind.

Have fun, however you do it!~Judy

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead
In response to mrsdriver5

Now here's the latest: Only about 10% of it has family members or someone we know in them. The majority of these pictures are of her high school friends from Boulder CO in the early 1940s.

I'm thinking I might just box those pictures up and put the ones with family into a new album. No one in the family cares about her high school friends.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to Melonhead

That good idea. Or maybe make a album of also just her high school days. Even if you don't know her friends names you can put her high school pictures in the album too. Who knows maybe in the future someone in your family might want to see what your mother high school days were like in pictures, lol.

My mother showed me some pictures of her album she had in her high school days right up until she married my father in 1978. Then she stop taking/putting pictures in her album. Since she moved from her hometown down here to Bay City to start "new life" with my father. I have to say I enjoyed the pictures and see her and her friends being silly,lol. She even has a goofy pic of my Uncle I saw I think in the album. Where he acted like a diva or "snooty girl" lol. It was funny.

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead
In response to justartguy007

Well, I will definitely keep the pictures of her and her friends kissing a picture of Don Ameche.

Cricutgirlg
Expert
Cricutgirlg
In response to Melonhead

That's wonderful. Maybe, the elderly aunt can help you with figuring out who is who. Enjoy!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics