Username Post: Disabling Java        (Topic#1584089)
flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

I just heard that Homeland Security is advising people to disable Java because of serious security breaches. I've looked under all programs on my computer and can't find anything that says Java. Do you know if I need to look somewhere else for it?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-11-13 10:54 PM
In response to flintridgescrapper

Start - Control Panel - Uninstall.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to stick

Thanks. I couldn't find it in there so I guess I don't have it on this computer. I'll have to check my others.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to flintridgescrapper

Java is a computer programming language.
from wiki
Java software runs on laptops to data centers, game consoles to scientific supercomputers. There are 930 million Java Runtime Environment downloads each year and 3 billion mobile phones run Java.

If you disable Java some of your programs may not run the way you expect them. Java's finger is in a lot of pies. Example: Java is often used for website animation.

"Java" could be considered a threat because it is an "open" platform meaning there is no overseeing governing body that controls anything and everything programed using Java.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-12-13 05:30 PM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I read that the Java version on iphones and ipads do not have the same security risks. Not sure about other phones.

So far I haven't noticed that uninstalling Java has had any effect on the things I do on my computer. And since I find most web animation annoying anyway, that's just a side bonus, lol.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics