Username Post: Making wood embellishments        (Topic#1584093)
SherylEb
Guru
SherylEb

I was just watching a video on Hero Arts blog, and she's making her own die cuts out of little thin wood veneer. Has anyone ever tried that? Looks easy!

She cuts with the thin metal dies with a regular die cutting machine. Thinking of cutting TH dies out of wood. I'm gonnna have to make a road trip and go get some!

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to SherylEb

Cool, I want to see how that goes!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CrimsonMama

Ooooooo I want to do that!

flintridgescrapper
Idol
flintridgescrapper
In response to CommaHolly

That sounds so cool! Please post a picture when you've done one.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to flintridgescrapper

I have purchased the thin wood veneer. they sell as sheets. Its really neet and fun to cut, emboss and ink

Edited by andrea m on 01-12-13 04:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SherylEb
Guru
SherylEb
In response to andrea m

Thanks Andrea! I'll have to pick some up

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-12-13 05:49 PM
In response to SherylEb

I bought some thin wood veneer 'paper' from ARC Paper in Las Vegas, but I have yet to use it. I didn't realize sb.com carried some as well. I'm thinking I'd love to use it to cut out letters for titles.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to SherylEb

This is a really intriguing idea so I don't want to burst anyone's bubble; but for those who are interested in the archival value of their scrapbooks, it is important to know that wood contains lignin. Paper is often made from wood and thus the reason we have to watch for lignin in our papers and cardstock. Does anyone know if pieces cut from wood can be sealed sufficiently to prevent damage from the lignin?

Edited by Ms. Fit on 01-12-13 05:56 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SherylEb
Guru
SherylEb
In response to Ms. Fit

I would use them for cards, so I'm good if they don't last forever

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to SherylEb

those sound so cool Sheryl.

Cricutgirlg
Expert
Cricutgirlg
In response to SherylEb

I bought the thin wood from M's a few years ago, but I've only used it once. I cut it on my cricut with the deep blade.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Cricutgirlg

I bought some of the wood veneer that they sell here a long time ago and have yet to use it....
Thanks for reminding me! I'll have to try it on something this week....

Alison

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to Ms. Fit

Well, silly me! It finally occurred to me that DH, who is a wood turner, would have an answer to this question. He had 2 suggestions for those who are interested in putting wood on their scrap pages. After finishing your piece with whatever media you are using, the piece can be finished with either Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating spray (gloss or matte) or Krylon spray (gloss or matte). Both are permanent, non-yellowing, moisture-resistant, and dry in minutes. Also, since these products are made for artists they are probably very long-lasting. They can be found in art supply stores.

OK, if anyone tries this new wood idea, please post photos so we can all see what you've done and let us know how it worked out for you. Exciting!

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to Ms. Fit

I have used wood like this for years. Made pins to sell at craft shows as well as ornaments for different Holidays. Then for scrapping I have made 3D 'paintings' to go on pages or in a doll house for a friend who does that. Just used acrylic paints and some I stamped the image then painted it or did it freehand things like flowers, animals, just whatever hits me as the 'needed' accent! You can always repaint over one you don't like, easy!

I have a little scroll saw and use that to cut what shapes I want. But for those who want a less expensive way to cut these you can use a Coping Saw, under $10 at most hardware stores. Hand sawing is slower but For me, it gives better control when cutting a more delicate design like scrolly designs.

Sorry I don't have any photos of ones I have done, but will see if I have any around and will take a pics if I do Fun subject these veneers are! Keep in mind when buying that the different woods have different grains and colors, but you will not always get the exact design on the wood you see in the picture- it is natural and many times each one is different.

nnoel59
New Kid On the Block
nnoel59
In response to SherylEb

I used very thin wood from Hobby lobby in the model area. I cut a thin piece off about 1/2 X 2 inch and used some thin wood sticks to look like 2 X 4's. It was for my new husbands book that I made him for his birthday of him and his brothers building a cabin in the woods. Will try to upload a few this week when I figure it out. It worked great. Also used the white sand as snow in a few of the pictures.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics