Username Post: copic lovers        (Topic#1584099)
Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

well I tried them for the first time today and now I see what all the hub bub is about them.

question is, there are so many of them! where do you start on choosing colors etc for basic card making and scrapping?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Ohio4HMom

Depending on what you like to color,,,,pick the colors you enjoy and start with 2-3 of each color group,,,,,,within a few numbers of eachother

if you like yellow,,,,,,y00, y03, y05 etc,,,,that should give you enough to start blending.

you'll need skin tones if you color people,,,,,I like E00 range for skin colors,,,,

You don't need them all,,,,,,but you do need 2-3 of each color range

2-3 reds
2-3 oranges
2-3 blues, etc,,,,,

as you collect them, you can always add more shades.

somewhere online there's a list (probably more than one) of good colors for beginners.

Hope that helps, and people with far more ability than I will probably chime in,,,,I like them, I use them occasionally,,,,,,,but they're not something I use daily.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CommaHolly

I think there are sets you can buy that cover most of the bases to get you started. Then you can add more.

I only have 4 or 5 but I don't stamp so I've not had a reason to use them yet. But one day....

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Henri Jean

I always suggest everyone does a search on Suzanne Dean and get her list and buy from it. She also has fabulous instructions on you tube.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to Sneezy1956

I use mine mainly for colouring Magnolia stamps. I tend to lean towards pastel colours instead of bright but I do seem to add more n more bright colours. I think its best to decide what you want to use Copics for first. Then, see which teint you prefer (pastels, bright, vintage, monotone, ect) Start from there. Some shops have testers to see if you like the colour. Do keep in mind, once dried, it's slightly different in colour than when you first applied. Just a few from each colour will work cause you can darken the colour by going over the same area with same Copic colour. As for Greys, I prefer the W colours, they are a bit of a muddy type of grey and I also like the C greys, they are perfect for colouring steels.

If you go to their site (Copics), you can get the colour charts. You can download it, print it ect.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to TheCharmedOne

In my experience, the sets don't really give you blending properties.

I found it best to just buy singly.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to CommaHolly

thanks for the help everyone

I was thinking of sets and using a coupon at HL or J's but now thinking singly would be better

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Ohio4HMom

Ohio Mom I'm serious about Suzanne she is amazing and that's how I got started I used her list and then filled in as I got the funding i still use a lot of her combination.

boysmom
Pro
boysmom

I agree with the suggestion above, start with some colors you like and buy a series, like 02, 04, and 06. and a colorless blender. Numbers about 2 away from each other are perfect. I started with aqua, yellow, and orange because I was wanted to color fish. I also started with 3 shades of gray. Which colors you start with are personal preference.

If you don't want to blend, then the sets are good. Or they are a good way to add some basic colors to your blending ones - just in case you need some purple sometime. They used to sell more single some here, but now it's mostly sets. Hopefully they will bring back the single ones.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to boysmom

I never use the blender, for some reason, when I use it, it either fades the colour completely or it makes the colours bleed outside the images. I'm a inside the lines colourer and I serously hate bleeding outside the lines. I use white correnspondence cards and DCWV cardstocks. Both work fine for me. I stamp with Memento.

Expert
In response to TheCharmedOne

copics just came out with blending sets...set of 3 in one color family...the question of which ones will blend is done for you .

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to deedee49

Copics do come in blending sets - there is a new 3 colour set, but they also have 6 colour sets that specify whether they are good for skin/florals/pastels etc. I own a few, but switched to ShinHan Art Touch Twin Brush markers which have basically the same tips as the Copic Sketch without the price tag.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

• Sneezy1956 Said:
I always suggest everyone does a search on Suzanne Dean and get her list and buy from it. She also has fabulous instructions on you tube.

I'm definitely searching for her info tonight! Thanks!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to Ohio4HMom

I have a post on my site that gives you a shopping list for beginners you can also check out cara miller just type her in the search on google and she will pop right up. I don't recommend buying the sets because they don't give you the copics you need in order to blend and blending is what copics are all about Copics make me so happy!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics