Username Post: Clear Acrylic Stamps        (Topic#1584119)
New Kid On the Block

I am completely new to scrapbooking. I saw the clear acrylic stamps and wondered how they work. Do you have to attach them to something? What kind of ink do you use?

Lillytender

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to Lillytender

You use the clear acrylic stamps on an acrylic block...these come in many sizes. The main advantage of these stamps is they take so much less room for storage! I keep mine in a loose-leaf note book in page protectors. You just peel them off of the plastic card they come on, stick them to the acrylic block, stamp and then peel them off again. I had some trouble using Stamping Up inks until I saw a tip for scrubbing the new stamps with my adhesive eraser block...this removes the filmy finish and lets the ink adhere better. SB.com carries the acrylic blocks. A friend has a block with a grid on it...really helpful for lining things up straight.

Edited by bigredssw on 01-13-13 12:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to bigredssw

I did a blog post on clear blocks a while back:

http://3monkeysthrowingar oundsomepaper.blogspot.com/201...

I love clear mount stamps, they save room, I just don't have room for wood mount sets. Saves room and money!!!!
I use Stampin' Up ink but you can use any ink that you like, just make sure to clean them off when you are done. And some inks are prone to staining your stamps. It does not affect the way they work though!

Edited by binkiemonstermom on 01-14-13 03:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to binkiemonstermom

Hey Lillytender and welcome!

Yes, you need something clear to attach them to. They just stick on and peel off again.

Before I got my first acrylic block, I used a clear plastic thumb-tack box. Or you could use a clear CD case with the black plastic CD holder insert taken out so that you can see through it.

You can use any ink you like, although you might have to rub the stamping surface with an eraser to "prime" it before first use.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RedSquirrel

You can't really "use any ink that you like." Not all inks will give you a good result with acrylic stamps.

This video explains it very well:
http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/887.html

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Bxr-Linda

Sometimes I wonder if it is the stamps or the inks. The cheaper clear stamps are hard to get good ink coverage sometimes. I agree, not ALL inks work with clear stamps, there is some trial and error but there are a lot of brands that work with clear stamps. While I love distressing inks, I don't get good coverage on stamps with them, others do though. I am sure it is in part to user error!!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to binkiemonstermom

I will qualify my statement. Technically, you could use *any* ink with acrylic stamps. But some will NOT give a good result.

I found the video I linked above VERY informative.

smcdavid1
Resident
smcdavid1
In response to Bxr-Linda

I love the clear stamps have lots of them and 3 - 4 diverend blocks but now i look for a place to store all them stamps in.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics