Username Post: how do you organize your chipboard elements?        (Topic#1584123)
akeim1
akeim1 
Resident
akeim1

I am struggling to find a way to organize my chipboard elements (those brackets, circles, tags, arrows, flowers etc). How do you organize them so that a) you can FIND them and b) don't buy duplicates (guilty)
any suggestions appreciated!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to akeim1

I need this answered too! My chipboard is out of control. I need to know the manufacturers, so I'm reluctant to take it out of the original packaging, but it's definitely not the best way.

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to cindy312

I'll be watching this thread for suggestions too! Mine is just thrown in a drawer and I never use it because I have no idea what I have!!

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to provinca

I keep mine in those plastic boxes made to protect scrapbooks....bought them on sale at M's. They are large enough to hold the original pkg. and I have alpha's in one, and the others have the misc. chipboard embellies. Also have one for all my bling....but with the buying spree I have been on since Christmas, I am going to need another one for that....LOL!!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to bigredssw

I keep mine filed in a bin by shape or theme, in plastic ziplocks/craft bags/and in clear CD cases.

You could very well line them up vertically, if you wish... However, I just have them laying in there & quickly dig out whatever I need.

I find having them both labeled & sorted proves helpful.

Depending on how many you have & or based on size, you could store them in a binder, in plastic sheets, baseball card holders, ziplocks or zippered pocket pouches. Or an expandable file.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to KellyCali

This is a really hard thing to organize. I try to keep together by theme. I have a folder by Cropper Hopper that opens up to 12 envelopes inside that I put them in after the package is opened.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to akeim1

I have mine punched out, all A's, B's etc in their own baggie and then stored in those small white plastic drawers that you can get at WM. On the front of each drawer I have written what letters are in it- i.e. A-C, D-F, etc. For the shapes I did the same and then tagged the drawers accordingly. It works for me and makes it easy to find what I need.

The only drawback is is I want two different letters of the same style. I don't know if I have that until I dig them out.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 01-14-13 07:23 AM
In response to idlewoman

I have kept the alphas in their original packages so that I keep the same fonts together - I also keep some other sets in their original packages because they are convenient. I line them up vertically on a cupboard shelf. On the same shelf I have bins with loose elements.

Not super organized but it works for me.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to GMFTS

I like chipboards that come in the boxes - soo easy to search and they are sorted by color/style already. Store the loose ones in the ziplocks - but want to move them to boxes too, maybe sandwich boxes - with clear lid - they're flat and enough room to shake and see what's in there.

akeim1
akeim1 
Resident
akeim1
In response to OlesyaK.

ohhh -that's a great idea. I seem to have a ton of those clear small containers left from luncheon meats!!(they all seem to come in those glad-style containers now) I can put alphas in one (or more) and then shapes, tags, seasonal etc. THANKS! this may just work for me. at least it will get them out of the boxes where they remain buried.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to akeim1

I keep my chipboard shapes in their original packaging in a large decorative basket on one of my shelves.....they look tidy and nice but I do have to sort through the packages to find what I want and I don't always remember they are there!
Probably not the best solution.....
My alphas (thickers etc..) are in those Cropper Hopper paper storage things, labelled by colour (Colours, Black, White)...

I'm thinking that one of those compartmentalized containers might work....I could open all the packaging and sort the chipboard by category into the little compartments....

Alison

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to akeim1

I should say that all of my chipboard is 'raw' not colored or decorated, etc.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to idlewoman

I have those crocheted IKEA baskets and all my packs are stored vertically in them. I can just lift the basket off the shelf and go through it easily.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to RedSquirrel

I am starting to organize a lot of my supplies, including chipboard pieces, by manufacturer. This works for me because ad I get to know different manufacturers I am able to identify their styles. But that probably doesn't work for most people.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Crafting Marfa

I think now that I am going to purchase one of the Scraponizers and sort my chipboard pieces into that....I have a lot of chipboard and I think that might work for me!

Great thread! Got me thinking about organizing my chipboard better so I actually end up using some of it!

Alison

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics