Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: looking for a new trimmer        (Topic#1584145)
joannie
Veteran
joannie

Anyone have these or others they would recommend?

These look sturdy.
tia!

Edited by joannie on 01-14-13 12:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Andra Hoffman
Resident
Andra Hoffman
In response to joannie

I have the MM black one. I love it! I'd love to have the pink one though.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Andra Hoffman

I also have the MM black one. I love mine, too. Some pros:
It has a magnetic ruler for measuring, if needed.
It folds up for ease of storage.
The blade is self-sharpening. I've had mine for several years and have never had to adjust it, either. I love that I don't have to worry with replacement blades.
Each cut is always sharp and without torn-looking edges.

Some cons, though:
You'll need a different trimmer for cutting very small pieces of paper. I use a Creative Memories little personal trimmer for that.
It's heavy. I use a Fiskars for crops. I like my MM so much better, but it's too heavy to haul with me when I have so much other stuff, too.
To keep the lines straight, you need to be really careful that you line your paper up properly. Of course, that's with most trimmers.

joannie
Veteran
joannie
In response to siameseplease

Ok Thanks.

I have a friend who owns the MM trimmer(black one) and the top lines have rubbed/worn off. Has this happened to yours?

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to joannie

Nope. My lines are all still there and clear/easy to read.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to siameseplease

The lines did wear off on my MM one, and then it starting cutting wonky.

I bought the ProCision trimmer, and it is a wonderful trimmer. I got it on sale here at SB.com, and it has been worth every penny.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to flintridgescrapper

I have several trimmers and love them all for different reasons.
These are in no certain order.

The genesis trimmer is the top, hands down, best trimmer on the market, IMO. (from Bonnie's best). BUT....it comes with a HUGE price tag. Very well made! The edgelit is wonderful! But it is heavy and not crop or travel friendly. (and big, I have the 16" cutter with and edge light and it is BIG!!!). I know people that have had their trimmers for 10+ years and still use it everyday!!!

Cutterpillar - is very similar to the genesis trimmer as far as style and function. It is not made as well as the genesis but overall, I think it is solidly made and cuts well. A little more reasonable considering you don't have to replace the blades...ever. they do run specials from time to time...google cutterpillar. It has a smaller footprint than the genisis and is lighter weight and has a nice edgelight as well. Works on batteries so no cord.

For crops and traveling, I use my Stampin' Up trimmer. It is very light weight and portable. It is similar to a lot of fiskars trimmers in function but also scores as well. I like the measurements on it and I love that I can get replacement blades all the time!!!

The last trimmer that I love is my Stampin' Up tabletop trimmer. This isn't for everyone but I find the good cuts make it very easy to use. And I have held off on ordering this for three years, now I wonder why I didn't get it before!

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to joannie

• joannie Said:
Ok Thanks.

I have a friend who owns the MM trimmer(black one) and the top lines have rubbed/worn off. Has this happened to yours?

This happened to me three times. All three times, MM replaced it and on the third time, they also sent me $50 worth of MM scrappy goodness. The last one hasn't lost its lines yet.

joannie
Veteran
joannie
In response to BlingQueenRia

thank you all!! I'll keep checking back!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to joannie

I'm going to put a spanner in the works and put in a vote for the trimmer I have. It's a Cutterpede rotary, light and portable. I've had it for nearly 5 years and I'm only on my second blade. The parts that need replacing are the rubber cutting strips. I would buy another when this finally dies. Mine is purple.

Cricutgirlg
Expert
Cricutgirlg
In response to RedSquirrel

I have the Cutterpede too. It's my go to for travel trimmer and I have several. I also have a Roatrim Trimmer Professional M. Its expensive, but it cuts chipboard like butter.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Cricutgirlg

I have the Fiskars one you have shown. They have the best customer service in the business and the replacement blades are always easy to find and a snap to replace. They are moderate in price. I have a small Fiskars trimmer that is over 20 years old and has even survived use for many years in my 2nd grade classroom.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 01-15-13 07:22 AM
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I have always used Fiskars. From the very first just a blade to the most recent.

I just purchased this one

Fiskars - 12 inch Portable Rotary Paper Trimmer - Blade Style F

For the first time ever this one did have a problem. I could not get it to cut straight. I called them and a replacement was on it's way in no time. It works fine. Though I still use the old one when I need a very thin cut, just seems to work a bit better.

So this is my preferred cutter.

Edited by KimKV on 01-15-13 07:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 01-15-13 10:00 AM
In response to KimKV

• KimKV Said:
I have always used Fiskars. From the very first just a blade to the most recent.

I just purchased this one

Fiskars - 12 inch Portable Rotary Paper Trimmer - Blade Style F

For the first time ever this one did have a problem. I could not get it to cut straight. I called them and a replacement was on it's way in no time. It works fine. Though I still use the old one when I need a very thin cut, just seems to work a bit better.

So this is my preferred cutter.

Glad to see that you had a problem with straight cutting... I thought it was me for a while but no matter how careful I am it does not cut straight.
Guess I need to call.

I like the Fiskars cutters but the blades get dull far too quickly.

I have the big MM one too and am in agreement with the pros and cons OP listed.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to GMFTS

For the price the Cutter Pilliar Pro hands down!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to Sneezy1956

I love the Fiskars rotary trimmer. I haven't had the other ones so I don't have any negative input.
I've had my Fiskars for five years and have only had to change the blade once. I use my trimmer at least three days a week.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to fknapoleon

Cutter Pillar it is the best trimmer I have ever had I absolutlely love it. It cuts like a dream. When I am traveling I have a small creative memories trimmer that I take with me

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to joannie

I recently bought a Fiskars, after reading reviews and threads here on the forum, to replace my beloved old CM trimmer which is out of production and for which I can no longer get blades. The new Fiskars uses Blade Style I and I bought the titanium replacement blades for it because they are supposed to be very sharp and last longer. I love this new trimmer -- wonderful accurate grid measurements on the bed and the swing arm is 15 1/4" (much longer than the old CM, plus the paper guide edge at the top extends all the way out on the swing arm. In addition to the rubber feet at the four corners, the under side of the bed is braced so it won't bend under pressure and there are 4 more rubber feet on the bracing. I think this will last a long time. I love it already.

Belia 
Tenant
  • Belia on 01-17-13 09:04 PM
In response to Ms. Fit

I just got the Fiskars ProCision for Christmas and so far I like it a lot. My only problems are:

1. It's very big and heavy, although that could just be because I used a cheap portable trimmer for so many years that I'm not used to anything solid! But I do find myself moving myself to the trimmer, as opposed to moving the trimmer to me when I need it. Not sure if that makes sense.

2. I have a hard time making cuts from small pieces of paper. There are no measuring lines right up next to the blade. I anticipate that this will become easier for me with practice, but I do find myself still reaching for my cheapo portable at times for small cuts.

Other than that, it is very sturdy and cuts like a dream! Also seems to be very straight, but I'm not a perfectionist.

Diva
In response to Belia

Good ideas. I am considering replacing mine as well.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics