Username Post: my little vent        (Topic#1584199)
Resident

september last year my daughter bought me a big shot. i LOOOOVVVVE it. since then i have been trying to build up my collection of embossing folders and today i bought my first die cut. i was so chuffed and couldn't wait to get home to try it out..... well imagine my dismay and disappointment when i got home, went on youtube to find a tutorial that informed me i can't use it by itself... yep need to now wait until i can go and get the other piece just to use it. grrrrrrr.
seriously, would it be so hard for the manufacturer to put it in a package so you don't have to go and buy another piece and another piece and another piece?? its ridiculous and i'm not impressed !!!!

there, rant over. sorry and thanks for reading lol. hmph !!!!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to dee.is.me

What other item did you need for it?

The bigz dies do need the extended pads and sometimes the crease mat. But once you buy them, you will be good for all the bigz dies. Annoying when you first start though.

Your big shot should have come with the multipurpose mat, which work with all the other dies, framelits and embossing folders.

I am trying to think if there is something else I am missing?
I love my big shot!!! I am sure once you get everything, you will be in love again!!! Sorry you weren't able to create right away!!!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to binkiemonstermom

oooooooooohhhhhh! I just got a big shot for christmas and my christmas eve b-day gift from my MOM. I cant use it YET b/c it did not come with a die to use!!! I really HOPE I do NOT have to buy extra stuff also! But thankfully I also got TA DA:
THE Cricut Expression 2 from my hubby!!! LOVE IT so far.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mindygail

when you buy a die cutter, it's just that,,,,,a die cutter.

you still need to buy dies. There are hundreds and hundreds of possibilities,,,,everyone 's tastes are different, so it would be kind of hard for them to know what you'd like.

when you buy a cricut, you need to buy cartridges, although some of them do come with a cart.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to dee.is.me

• dee.is.me Said:
september last year my daughter bought me a big shot. i LOOOOVVVVE it. since then i have been trying to build up my collection of embossing folders and today i bought my first die cut. i was so chuffed and couldn't wait to get home to try it out..... well imagine my dismay and disappointment when i got home, went on youtube to find a tutorial that informed me i can't use it by itself... yep need to now wait until i can go and get the other piece just to use it. grrrrrrr.
seriously, would it be so hard for the manufacturer to put it in a package so you don't have to go and buy another piece and another piece and another piece?? its ridiculous and i'm not impressed !!!!

there, rant over. sorry and thanks for reading lol. hmph !!!!

do you mean you need one of these?

if so, the die will still CUT without the tan mat,,,,,,you just won't be able to emboss the edges.
Products Referenced in This Post:

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to CommaHolly

Yes, I am also confused...unless you mean that you need an extended platform like Michelle suggested....
The Big Shot comes with the standard platform and the cutting pads which is what is needed for most regular dies.....

Alison

Resident
In response to kiyawinn

sorry to confuse you guys... i bought the tim holtz movers and shakers key hole die.... didn't realise i also need a base magnetic die to use the keyholes.

i am just really annoyed because i was so excited about getting my first die and then finding i still have to wait to get the base die so i can use it. so instead, i used my hole punch and use scissors to cut the extra out and voila !! keyhole !!! take that you silly die lol

Resident
In response to dee.is.me

the part that is ridiculous is that i paid $16AUD for the 2 keyholes then a base die will cost me approx another $34AUD when with just a bit of effort a $2AUD hole punch and a pair of $2AUD scissors can do just as good a job !!!

Edited by dee.is.me on 01-16-13 04:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to dee.is.me

Yes, the Big Shot is made by Sizzix. The dies you have bought are made by Tim Holtz, a different company. Most dies will work in most cutters, but some need adaptors because there are several different thicknesses of dies out there. If you had bought dies made by Sizzix, you would not have needed a separate adaptor.

Didn't it say on the packaging for the dies that you needed the base? Actually I'm sure I read on a blog somewhere that you don't need the magnetic base, that's just to hold it in place. As long as you have a spacer of some kind, you can use it. I think!

There are just so many options out there. You have to do the research. You will love your Big Shot once you've got used to it though!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to RedSquirrel

That makes sense. I didn't think about the movers and shakers dies. Can I say that I found them confusing so I have yet to get one of them! LOL!!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• RedSquirrel Said:
Yes, the Big Shot is made by Sizzix. The dies you have bought are made by Tim Holtz, a different company. Most dies will work in most cutters, but some need adaptors because there are several different thicknesses of dies out there. If you had bought dies made by Sizzix, you would not have needed a separate adaptor.

The Tim Holtz dies actually are made by Sizzix - and their Movers and Shapers line existed long before he was designing for them. They involve the magnetic base plate whether they're Tim Holtz-branded or not.

Resident
In response to aquabunny

thanks for all the replies guys.... and i'm glad i'm not the only one who has found this brand of dies a tad confusing lol.

whilst typing this i've just wondered if my magnetic board for holding my cross stitch patterns would work?? hmmm interesting. will have to try that out.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:

The Tim Holtz dies actually are made by Sizzix - and their Movers and Shapers line existed long before he was designing for them. They involve the magnetic base plate whether they're Tim Holtz-branded or not.

Why did I think Tim Holtz was Ranger? Sorry! Well in that case, if the dies don't say on the packaging that they need the magnetic base, you have a right to vent OP!

Resident

well it does say "repositionable window shape" i guess that means "you need another part"

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

• RedSquirrel Said:
  • aquabunny Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:

Why did I think Tim Holtz was Ranger? Sorry! Well in that case, if the dies don't say on the packaging that they need the magnetic base, you have a right to vent OP!

Tim Holtz actually works with Ranger and Sizzix as well as Advantus, Stampers Anonymous, Tonic Studios, Core'dinations.....

Alison

Diva
In response to dee.is.me

Wow! I truly understand you...same feeling!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics