Username Post: One thing lead to...here        (Topic#1584201)
alwaysbelieve
New Kid On the Block
alwaysbelieve

Hello all!!!

I have been trying to be a scrapper for several years. It started in 2004 when we were building a house and I had this brilliant idea of scrapping the whole procedure: plans; photos; decorating desires...almost like a wedding planning binder. Well my son (who was disabled and the reason for the custom build) passed away and all the scrapping was, well, scrapped.

The thought again came into mind a few years later when I took my surviving kids on a cruise. Not sure why I never went forward that time.

Most recently, I have been researching my ancestry and had the thought again. I'm NOT letting it get by me this time! I have soooooo many ideas! My real problem is: I'm not a crafty person. While scrapping is something I am quite confident I will devour - I have that 'Go Big or Go Home' mindset - I am really not sure where to start, what I need, etc.

I spent early yesterday morning in a dentist chair finishing 2 root canals, then found myself wandering through JoAnn's (trying to get my mind off the pain) and not finding what I had in mind...not sure it even exists. When I got home, I found myself here.

I signed up for the free email classes. I added a 'scrap booking' folder to my favorites bar. I made a list of 'books' I want to make. I'm stuck on what product(s) I need. I have some minor things from my previous attempts-various papers,stickers,etc...then I get myself to the 'GBGH' place and want a die cut machine. So which is best? I know they each do different things (sort of), I'm the type that needs: simple to use, not a lot of 'extras' to buy but add-on's/upgrades available that won't take up a ton of space (I mean, I'm going to need the space for embellishments, right???)

As I write a (seemingly) 3 page introduction, let that be a testament to my GBGH attitude...HI EVERYONE!!!

mtread 
New Kid On the Block
In response to alwaysbelieve

Welcome to the board and I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm a fellow newbie, so I can't offer advice just yet. After research, I ordered the Bosskut Gazelle - but I don't have it yet and can't attest to personally.

Everyone's been very nice around here - I'm sure you'll find some great input.

Take care,
Mark

Diva
In response to mtread

Correct. I got tons of help while learning the tricks of the game.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to mtread

I am so sorry for your loss.

Glad you found this board, I am sure you will find a lot of useful information here. The gallery and blogs are a great source of inspirations.

As far as what you need, you need a good trimmer, and this varies from person to person.
You need good adhesive. Once again, it varies.
You need some scrapbooking paper. What kind? Well that depends, on what size you scrap, what you like, your style. Everyone has their favorite brands. I am a big Stampin' Up fan, as I am a demo. But I love other brands as well such as October AFternoon, Echo park, Graphic 45, Cosmo Cricket...and many many more!!!

The big thing is to just. Just start. Your first layout won't be your best work, but it will be your first! And Wonderful!!!! Your style will change, your tastes will change.

I would caution to buy slowly. I used to buy a lot of stickers. I have found that I don't use them, or I fall out of love with them, or the colors aren't right. I like to make my own embellishments so I use a lot of stamps. I love stamps, I can use them over and over! So for me, they are a good bang for my buck! I love dies as well. I have a big shot and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Dies are pricey so I buy what I love and can get a lot of use out of. Now embossing folders are a whole other story....I have tons, and I mean tons of embossing folders!!!!

Start small, think about your purchases. We all have tons of supplies that we don't use or don't like, or haven't gotten around to using. If I could start over, I would focus more on the paper- every layout needs paper. I like nice thick quality cardstock (I use Stampin' Up) and I like vintage which is why I like October Afternoon so much. I wouldn't buy every sticker I liked.
REmember, there are no rules to scrapbooking. If you like it, then do it!!! If it is pleasing to your eye, then go with it!!!! And most of all, have fun!!!!
Be sure to come back and post your first layout!!!! Enjoy!!!

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to binkiemonstermom

Welcome to the board! I too am sorry to hear of your loss.

First, let me say that there is no right or wrong way to scrapbook, just always remember "Acid Free and Archive safe". But you can play around with scrapbooking ideas and techniques using printer paper, magazine pictures, construction paper (or even junk mail). This is how I work out my scrapping ideas...I use pictures of strangers, animals, or objects rogued from old magazines. If I ruin it, no big deal, I just trash it and don't feel bad about ruining a good photo, pretty scrapbook paper, etc.

My best advice to you is to find your own style, your own way of doing your LO's. You can get scrapbooking ideas from many places. Try looking at some LO's that people have uploaded to the gallery. If you see a design you like, but it's done in pink and you detest that color, copy the idea but change the color. We call that "scraplifting". The same thing applies if a LO you like uses discontinued items. Redo the LO with a diffrent paper, or using diffrent embellishments.

Be careful when you first begin scrapbooking or you could end up spending a lot of money on things you will rarely, or never use.

To begin I would invest in some plain colored paper and cardstock. Make this the bulk of your paper because you will tend to use it more often. Then get a set or two of patterned papers you like. Get some good acid free gel pens, some decorative edge scissors, some acid free glue, an album, and some alphabets. Scrapbooking kits will often come with borders, alphabets, etc. When they do you can use them to make stencils for future use by tracing their outlines on plain white cardstock, or even cereal boxes. Why make stencils? You can then use your papers and scissors to make more items which will help you use more of your stash. Also, don't throw away your scraps, save them. You'll likely find a use for them later.

And, if you see a technique you like, ask people how they did it. Scrapbookers are generally nice and more than willing to help you. Oh, and last but not least, scrapbooking is about having fun.

Edited by flhomeschoolmom on 01-16-13 03:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to flhomeschoolmom

Do not buy a die cut machine now. Wait! You need to know what kind of pages you make before you can decide what kind of machine will work best for you.

As far as starting, the best thing for you to do is just start (echoing binkiemonstermom)
Start with something that you love, but that isn't hugely important. (For example, random cute kid picture, rather than family history photos.)
Make a page. If you don't have any idea where to start, find a page some one made that you love and copy it. (scraplifting!)
Start small, and work your way up to big.

alwaysbelieve
New Kid On the Block
alwaysbelieve
In response to Hdubarry

Thank you all so much for your input!!

I headed to Hobby Lobby to gather a few items, not remembering where all my 'old stuff' was, picked up some paper, a couple albums, page protectors and some embellishments.

Excited, when I got home I searched high and low for my 'old stuff'. I FOUND IT! Of course I didn't remember my daughter taking some of the stuff to her friends house where they are working on their "Best Friends" scrapbook. (My memory issues stem from an accident in 2007...still recovering-long story-but frequent 'forgetting' will certainly be referenced in my postings)

I began to sort and organize. I discovered I actually HAD begun my "New House" scrapbook...lol. I also had albums and several different papers as well as page protectors. I know I will eventually need more of everything, but for now I decided to return my duplicate items.

I LOVE LOVE the ideas of a 'practice page' using some random person/place/thing!!! I hope to get started on that this weekend.

Many thanks for the sympathies, I know my "Adam Book" will be my finest work and the most healing once I start.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to alwaysbelieve

So glad you liked that idea!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics