Username Post: Card Making        (Topic#1584209)
mtread 
New Kid On the Block

I never thought about card making and saw it mentioned quite a bit around here - for me, it occurred to me that maybe making cards as mini-scrabook layouts for my parents (remote grandparents to my daughter) would be a neat idea - maybe a photo based cover layout with a message inside using the stuff I've bought for scrapbooking. Most of the stuff I saw in the gallery looked more like professional card productions. Did any of you take up card making for the purposes I was thinking about?

Some specific questions:

Where does one find envelopes - do you use the generic envelopes found in Office Supply stores or what?

Do you just a manual fold and does that work without any tool or special way to make folds?

Thanks!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mtread

I received a bunch of blank card-sized envelopes from my mother-in-law, so I'm guessing you can buy just envelopes (though given my huge stock of envelopes now, I wish you could buy just card bases WITHOUT the envelopes!).

Some people make their own envelopes and there are a number of tools to make that easier. I have the small-size Martha Stewart Scoring Board; some people prefer the full-size one or a different brand of board, and some are looking forward to the release of a new envelope-helper punch by We R Memory Keepers.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to aquabunny

I make a lot of A2 cards which are invitation sized cards. I order envelopes from Stampin' Up because I use a lot of crumb cake bases and I like the SU crumb cake evies but you can also get A2 size envelopes from Hobby Lobby or Michaels.
Making Memories (I think is the company) has an envelope punch coming out. I have to say, I find this VERY exciting! Yes, you can make envelopes with just a score board...but I SUCK at it!!! Big time~!!!! To me, this new product looks better than sliced bread!!!!!! I am very excited!!!! Of course, I will have to see what the reviews are once it gets in the consumers hands, but great idea and LOOKS easy.

Diva
In response to binkiemonstermom

I have a bunch of envelopes that my SIL provided to me so I have been using them for a while. A2 is the size most of my cards are made . I do like making cards.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to binkiemonstermom

• binkiemonstermom Said:
Making Memories (I think is the company) has an envelope punch coming out. I have to say, I find this VERY exciting! Yes, you can make envelopes with just a score board...but I SUCK at it!!! Big time~!!!! To me, this new product looks better than sliced bread!!!!!! I am very excited!!!! Of course, I will have to see what the reviews are once it gets in the consumers hands, but great idea and LOOKS easy.

If it's the one I'm thinking of (and that I mentioned above), it's We R Memory Keepers.

Also, what do you mean by "crumb cake"?

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to aquabunny

It is We R Memory Keepers....thanks! I rewatched the video out there today...I am really thinking this could help me!! When I say my homemade evies are bad....I mean really bad!!!!

Crumb Cake is a Stampin' Up color- basically their kraft color. I love it and use it often! So I like the envelopes that match it.

New Kid On the Block
In response to mtread

Createforless.com is a great source for every size and color of envelopes.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to kaybee1492

I buy my envelopes from an office supplies store. They can be a lot cheaper there, and you can get quite nice classy-looking ones.

mtread 
New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel

Thanks for your input!

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to mtread

I make envelopes using the Martha Stewart scoreboard. I usually use the paper I don't like that comes in Stacks. The "ugly" designs make for a nice inside of the envelope as long as the colors are complementary to the colors of the card.

sabine
sabine 
Idol
sabine
In response to dotfree

I make a lot of cards I give to my relatives and friends. Everyone likes my cards so much better than store bought ones. It's more personal and also cheaper. I started selling them now online and the feedback is great. My envelopes always match the color of the cards and I usually stamp an image in the right lower left corner of the envelope.

Diva
In response to sabine

Nice to be able to sell your work!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics