Username Post: A new long term project        (Topic#1584213)
flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom

I stumbled upon a new scrapbooking project recently due to an infomercial, LOL.

I was watching some scrapbooking tutorials on Youtube trying to figure out how to make magazine flower embellishments. I watched one tutorial after another on my playstation, and then this infomercial popped up for something called ArchiveLife. It looked intriguing, and covered a lifetime pretty much. It was the ultimate BOM to be left for future generations. It included a timeline, scrapbook album, scrapbooking supplies and a box to hold the timeline book and scrapbook together. The infomercial did not state how much this cost, so I checked out the website and cackled laughing. They wanted $99 for 1 book that held 12 fold out timelines of 10 years each, and a scrapbook album with 12 pages. Each 2 page LO of the scrap album was intended to hold 10 years worth of photos! I looked it all over and decided that I could make something better and for less money than they were selling that for. So that has become my new project. I'm planning on doing several of these books. One for each of my boys, my DH,and myself. I've even decided to do some as part of a genealogy album that I'm working on for my DH. So now I've got to get a lot of photos duplicated, and find some newspaper archives to get copies of.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to flhomeschoolmom

Yes that can definately be made cheaper you'd be surprised at how much that amount can really rack up and for me anyway it would be really really hard to stay beneath that amount when you consider at least 3 papers for a 2 page lo and then anywhere from $3- $6 bucks or more for some embellies and then the cost of a scrapbook and and box and adhesive.

I've never ordered from those kit infomercials so really not sure of the quality. There was one company several years ago that had a big kit and a friend used it but wasn't happy with the quality.

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Cindyckj

This one was a one time purchase. It was 2 seperate books, one for the timelines and one for the photos. I can't fit 10 years onto two pages!!!

Also, I saw another major issue with it. All of the journaling was in one book and the photos in another. Imagine what your descendants would be faced with if 1 of the books got lost. They would be left with eaither a timeline book telling them about events in your life, or a book of photos of people they know nothing or very little about.

I prefer to keep my journaling WITH the photos. They were kind enough to show an example of their product and how it was formatted on their website. I liked the idea of the product, but not its price or how it was laid out. So, I took a notebook, a pen, and "borrowed" some ideas of things to include in my giant BOM's!!! Also, I personally don't like timelines! I have 1 year of my life when I was 16 that was too significant to me personally, and ultimately helped to shape me into who I am today. That year was HARD, I learned I had lost a baby on my birthday, had an outpatient surgery the day after my birthday, and then got a phone call 3 days later informing me there was still a problem...had major surgery the next day, and then the night of the major surgery that took 1/4 of my uterus I was told I had cancer. In 4 days time I lost my baby, had 2 surgeries, and learned I had cancer. 2 weeks after that I began chemo, couldn't go to public school so a teacher came to my house 3 days a week to cover all of my school subjects. I remained enrolled in my public school, but was not there for 1/2 the school year. Despite all of the set backs, I finished the school year 2 weeks after my classmates, went into remission over the summer and began my Jr. year cancer free but bald. I learned then how cruel kids can be to someone who looked diffrent. Kids stole my hats, made fun of me, my "friends" before I got sick would no longer talk to me, and the big saying around the halls when I passed by was "There goes the school freak", girls would say "she's so ugly even her hair is ashamed to be seen with her". And my boyfriends mom made him break up with me because she was ashamed for him to be seen in public with a girl who was bald. She came to my house and told my family that!!! That year changed me. It made me reevalute what is REALLY important in life, proved who my real friends were, caused me to grow up very fast, and showed me that up until that illness and its after math I was just as much of a snob as the people who I had once been friends with. So ultimately, I don't regret the experience but still pray that I don't ever have to walk back down that road again.

julie101
Idol
julie101

Sounds like a great ideal and also doing it yourself will allow you to make it sure much more personal then buying a kit, I would like to do somethng like this but Im not sure where to start.

You right kids can be so cruel and adults arent much better, glad to hear you recovered from the cancer.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with if you decided to share.

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to julie101

I have a quick question concerning this project that someone on here might be able to help me with. Does anyone know where I could find a teal cancer awareness ribbon? I've seen emblies for breast cancer awareness, but not gynecological cancer awareness. Mine was Gestational Trophoblastic Tumor. I need to find a teal ribbon and the ribbon for infant/pregnancy loss...but I can't remember what color that one is.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

Infant/pregnancy ribbon colors I think are pink and blue. Left half pink, right half blue.

Breastcancerawareness dot theshoppe dot com has lots of teal stuff, but not necessarily scrapbook stuff. You can use teal ribbon folded into the shape, or a die and cut teal paper.

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to SherylEb

Thank you for your help.

I found a sheet of teal cardstock in my scrap box. I'm still scrapbooking like I'm in the stone age, lol. I don't own any die cutting machines. I use stencils, scissors, and a craft knife. My house is really small, so storage is a big problem for me. My house consists of: 2 bedrooms, 1 tiny bathroom, and a huge combined space that is my kitchen and living room. I gave up space to be able to live in a much better neighborhood when our old one simply became too dangerous for my boys to play outside. In that neighborhood there were a lot of stray dogs, people doing drug deals, and even people regularly shooting guns. Thankfully, the only truely careless shooting occured with a BB gun. But my MIL still has that BB imbedded in her thigh. She was mowing her lawn and got hit. Then someone bought up a large amount of land down the road from us and set up a trailer park. I have nothing against mobile homes, but they chose to allow 5 registered sex offenders to move in. THAT combined with the other negative things caused not just my family to move, but my MIL moved as well. Now I live inside town, 1 block from the elementry school, about 1/2 mile from the middle school, and 1.5 miles from the highschool.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics