Username Post: Why can't I ever cut straight lines and 90 degree angles?! {Newbie!}        (Topic#1584233)
Tenant

Ladies, I'm a newbie in need of some major help. I have the darndest time trying to cut straight edges, and this after trying four different trimmers! My latest is a high-fallutin' Fiskar's model that cost around $70. My financial situation is off-the-charts tight, but I was determined to solve the issue once and for all and spent Christmas gift funds on this nice model.

Alas, it cuts no straighter for me than my previous (much cheaper) models. I simply don't know what my problem is. I am trying to start a little Etsy card business, but if I can't find a fool-proof way to get four 90 degree angles, I'm sunk!

I do have a metal ruler and a blade, so in theory I could do it old-school, but I have health issues that cause my hands to shake most of the time - not the best deal when you have a razor blade in your hand!

I am so grateful to you for reading my post and offering any suggestions you have!

MANY, MANY THANKS!
Michelle

BTW, I should also state that I do realize that I have to keep the paper immobile while I use my rotary trimmer. This isn't a matter of my paper popping up a little toward the end of the cut or anything like that.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to ChelleKristine

Some trimmers have a little "lip" that the paper rests against. I always double check that the paper is against that lip correctly.
Maybe you can post the exact trimmer, and get some tips and tricks with it.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to binkiemonstermom

Hi and Welcome to SB.com!
I have trouble with that sometimes as I have some hand difficulties too. Anyway, I sometimes push down too hard on the blade when cutting, which can make the cutting line go off kilter. I wonder if maybe that is what is happening to you too? I guess I never measured how much off it was, but when I used my scoring board or would go to fold a card and the edges did not line up was when I noticed the problem. In my situation, it's not the cutters it's me. I try harder to make sure the paper is aligned properly now by looking at the lines on the cutter more carefully before cutting. I even went to the extent of taking a ruler or tape measure and making sure the cutting line was aligned with the marks on the cutter, which they were. But the cutters were fine-3 different ones, it's just me being in a hurry and not looking at things better.
Maybe some of my ideas here will help, but I hope you get your cutting troubles resolved.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to catzscrapper

I'm having the same issue, Michelle. I have three trimmers. Two Fiskars and a huge American Crafts rotary trimmer. And I swear the cuts are always off on all of them- no matter how much I check to make sure my paper is lined up and not moving.

The rotary trimmer seems to make a slight curve when I cut- thanks Catzscrapper, for the hint that I might be pushing down too hard on the blade- that might be what I'm doing... I'm gonna test them all out again!

-kory

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to designguyKORY

I am not a fiskars fan as far as trimmers. I know some people love them but I am not a fan personally. And I have had several fiskars. My problem with them is that they work fine, and then stop cutting straight. Personally I think the plastic piece that the blade funs up and down warps. At least thats what I think MINE did. I had the wire one and the wire broke. I finally decided to find something more durable and longer lasting.
My favorite trimmer, while I know it isn't for everyone, is the Stampin' Up tabletop trimmer. I know this isn't for everyone, heck I just ordered it on my last order!! I heard the trimmer was GREAT for cutting lots of cardstock to prep for classes. I have a card class coming up and thought I might as well order it. I used it to prep for the class and found it so easy to use I have been using it for my scrapbooking too. I get nice straight cuts everytime! And NO MORE BLADES!!! Once I tried it....I don't think I will ever go back!!!

Diva

I always having the same issue. I think is me! Cannot see a straight line ever!!!!!!!!!!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to bayamonesa1

I would suggest trying a different type of trimmer. If you have been using a rotary trimmer, try a blade or a Guillotine trimmer. I was very surprised that I like the SU Guillotine trimmer (tabletop) trimmer. I think it is kinda like bathroom tissue...not everyone likes the same kind!!! LOL!!! Try one at a crop if you can, then you can see if you like it! Most scrapbookers are happy to share their toys!!!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I just did a blog post on my favorite trimmer

http://3monkeysthrowingar oundsomepaper.blogspot.com/201...

Hope that helps.

Tenant
In response to designguyKORY

Thanks, guys, so much for all of your input! Very much appreciated!

Hey, did ya see my gender-neutral (nowadays, anyway) greeting this time?! So funny, when I wrote my original post, I sat here for quite awhile, staring at the computer screen, debating the likelihood of a male scrapper in the forums. I though, nah! Greeted you all as ladies, only to find find designguyKory in the thread! Argh! Didn't mean to be so insensitive, Kory! (You have great stuff, btw - confess I was intrigued and had to pay a visit to your gallery!)

Anyway, all, I am grateful for your suggestions. I will definitely try not pushing down so hard, which I already know I'm guilty of, because 8 times out of 10 the slice doesn't cut through the entire paper, which annoys me, so I really hammer that rotary down as hard as I can. Regardless, I still have to go back over the same cut 3 or 4 times to come away with 2separate pieces of paper. That's not cool for a new trimmer, huh? The more I think about it, the more I think I might have a defective blade or something! Fortunately, I've read positive things about Fiskar's customer service. Think I'll give 'em a ring and see what they have to say.

BTW, binkiemonstermom, I went to your blog and read your detailed review of the SU trimmer. I too have always been wary of guillotine trimmers - think I've just assumed, erroneously, it appears, that they wouldn't give precise cuts. But given this latest is worthless rotary trimmer #4, what do I have to lose by giving the guillotine a shot?!

Thanks again, guys!
Michelle
(Chelle Kristine)

PS. Anyone want to clue this newbie in on how to do these replies? If I just post it at the very bottom, then Kory and Michelle (binkiemonstermom) aren't likely to see that I've responded to them, right? So for future reference, do I just reply to people individually, or just what?

Thanks again! : )

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Yeah, 'Ladies' was a bit insensitive. I prefer 'WOMBYN.'

haha

SO YESTERDAY- I'm in HL, and the ProvoCraft Cricut Trimmer was marked at 5.99. So I bought it- cuz, it was six dollars and I obviously have a trimmer problem.

This is the perfect trimmer. The paper lines up too easily and I get PERFECTLY STRAIGHT CUTS. I was so amazed that I just kept cutting paper for most of the evening. I think the key to this trimmer's perfection (for me, anyways) is that it is so FLAT. Seriously- it's the most boxy looking trimmer, ever- and because of that- the paper just has nowhere to go-

I recommend it...

k

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon

• ChelleKristine Said:

PS. Anyone want to clue this newbie in on how to do these replies? If I just post it at the very bottom, then Kory and Michelle (binkiemonstermom) aren't likely to see that I've responded to them, right? So for future reference, do I just reply to people individually, or just what?

Thanks again! : )

Unless they have subscribed to the topic, they won't see it until they've come back to read it. You can click reply under the post you want to reply to or quote the post as I've done. Or you can just put their name like you've done!! That's super easy too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics