Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Help Me Get My Groove Back!        (Topic#1584239)
OneScrappyGal28
New Kid On the Block
OneScrappyGal28

Hi all,

I used to be a hardcore scrapbooker. I bought all the materials and supplies, joined tons of crops (most of them online), and set to work feverishly on baby books for both my son and my daughter. I was in love with this hobby... and for years devoted all my free time to it.

Then... I started noticing that I was still signing up for all these crops... but most of my scrapbooking efforts went to making things for crops... and nothing for myself and my pages. I was signing up for things like Pet Crops even though I have no animals! I worked hard on all my layouts and paper pieces. The stuff I got from these crops, while some were amazing, the majority was shoddily thrown together, smelly and sloppy. I couldn't use them. Then people started fighting and bickering on the crop groups... and I lost my taste for them.

Then, I found out that I was pregnant with my third child. My husband was deployed overseas for most of my pregnancy and for the birth of our son. I was tired a lot. I was still feeling overwhelmed from all the crops and scrapbooking I did previously... that looking at my stash made me groan and feel frustrated.

A few days ago...we were looking at my oldest child's baby scrapbook. She loved all the layouts, photos, journaling, etc. She was squealing. My littlest guy, four-years-old now, asked where his book was.

Whoops.

I want to get back to scrapbooking again. I want to feel love for it again. I'm still overwhelmed with it though... and not sure how to start. When I think of all the photos I have to do... *shudder*

How can I get my mojo back?

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to OneScrappyGal28

For some inspiration I like to go to the gallery here! I've sat for hours and hours looking at the amazing work people here do. lol

Sometimes I go through photos and pick out paper and embellishments and just start a stack and when I finally get motivated enough to scrap I sort of have kits made up and I go through and pick one out! Maybe set a goal that your gonna get 1 or 2 layouts done a week or what ever.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to Cindyckj

I second looking through the gallery for inspiration. For me it helps to look at work of artists whose style is similar to mine - so at least I feel comfortable diving back in. Sure I enjoy looking at layouts filled with embellishments, beautiful layerings, and using the latest techniques but I think it's too complicated for me and would overwhelm me for sure.

You are definitely not alone - having more than one kid is HARD work and tiring. With my first, I'd scrap for 2-3 hours every night after he's gone to bed (of course it helped that he's a great sleeper). I have about 15 albums of my first child, then my second one came along almost 6 years later. She's now 9 months old and I think I have a total of 10 layouts of her, so not even enough to fill one album. I don't have nearly the time or energy now with two (so I can't even imagine how you balance with three). So now I try to pick a couple nights a week and pick only the most important pictures to scrap. Maybe when the kids are older, I can play catch up.

Resident
In response to Mama2Thomas

hiya onescrappygal,

i find youtube tutorials inspirational. some of them challenge me to make something new, try a different technique and extend my vision of what i'm working on.

maybe you could reorganise your stash, this would get you digging and finding stuff you may have forgotten about?? make your scrapping area a place for you to relax, your time out room??

hope this helps and gets you back into the swing of things.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Mama2Thomas

Also, check out the challenges forum here. It's a fun way to share scrapping with others...but you decide when and how much time to spend, not quite like a crop. They are also great for inspiration and encouragement! It helps me to actually get myself to the scraproom and do some scrapping...if I sign up for a challenge, I feel a little pressure to actually scrap a page for it sometime during that month!

Since you are really interested in getting some layouts done for your son, you might want to check out these challenges.

The BABY challenge (for catching up on the baby pics) http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15836...

or the BOYS challenge http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15837...

There are all kinds of challenges posted each month, some are for the theme of a page, some are for # of pics on a page, some are for supplies used, some are for color scheme, etc., etc.
http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/18/

Resident
In response to dee.is.me

sorry mamathomas... i wasn't replying to you obviously lol i'm still working out the system here lol

heather375
Tenant
heather375
In response to justowen

I'm trying to play catch-up also. The more current pictures seem so much more exciting to me. I am making myself do at least one old LO for every 2 "current" LO's I do. If I don't, and with the amount of pictures I take, I will never get "caught up!" My youngest (the deprived one, of course) is 9. I just came across some Halloween pics when he was 2 and can't quit smiling and 'awwing' over them now. Maybe the more I dig, the more exciting and memorable the older ones will become.

The motivation for me is finishing a page and seeing the smiles on my kids' faces. They love to see what I do with their pictures!

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to heather375

I agree with Jenny about signing up for a challenge or two. That always helps me get going -- and that's exactly what I'm going to do this weekend -- sign up for a few challenges so I will get a couple of pages done since it's been a while for me too. I got into "swap mode" and found myself only doing swaps and not doing any scrapbooking!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I am going to suggest you seriously look at photobooks where you upload photos to templates and add titles and journaling. Knock out those baby books quickly so you can enjoy and share them.

Then use your traditional materials to make special pages of your most favorite photos. Set a realistic goal for yourself of say "1 page per month".

You will then end up with very special books; convenient books of your photos (that still have your creative input) AND a book of your fantastic scrapbooking masterpieces (without the "guilt" of trying to scrap everything).

It's OK to do simplier photo/scrapbooking projects!!! This hobby is not about tricking ourselves into doing it.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to provinca

wow I certainly do NOT blame your lack of mojo!!!
I started scrapping after my first child, cody. but theere were months or a year where i did none of it, however i was very good to always take plenty of photos and save them with dates in boxes or somewhere safe after he turned 1 or after terrrible twos i forgot which i startd again then came my daughter Kaili (7 now) and she was a colicky baby but my family is creaqtive so he aunt heled me find time by watching her and doing sleep overs

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Gelidy Gelato

challenges, video tutorials, gallery, blogs!

ScrapperKate03
Expert
ScrapperKate03
In response to provinca

I'm sorta in the same boat. After starting graduate school about 4 years ago, I lost a lot of desire and time to scrap what was going on in life. Going through my pictures and scrapping stash has gotten me more motivated and brings ideas out for LOs etc. I try to chose the best of the best pictures so its not an overwhelming task to try to include every bit of life for the last 4 years. Once you start I'm sure you will have no problem getting back into rhythm! Good luck!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to ScrapperKate03

I would definitely do what the other ladies have suggested. And if that doesn't work and you still aren't motivated, then do what Gelidy suggested and look into photo books. Then everything is an album and there are some cute ones out there. If you wanted a hybrid option, look at the We-R-Memory Keepers page protecters. They have pockets that you can slip in photos and create pages quickly.
Don't beat yourself up over not keeping up, that's the biggest thing. Also, don't expect to get caught up super quick. It's a big task, four years of photos. Take it little by little.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to fknapoleon

I agree with some of the pp about doing your favourite photos....
Please don't get overwhelmed and think that you have to scrap every single photo!
Maybe browse through your photos and see which ones have stories attached....remember how he like to put daddy's boots on, remember how he loved mac and cheese, how he used to giggle, how he loved ducks...whatever the stories are!
Find pictures that will explain his personality, funny things that happened, trips he took etc...
and do those ones.
It's the memories and the stories that they will look back on....you don't need to get every photo in a book....

The other suggestions of doing an online photo book or a "project life" type book are also good if you want to get it done quickly....

Good Luck with it! I know if you loved it once, you will love it again....hang out here for awhile and browse the gallery...you'll get your mojo back!

Alison

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• OneScrappyGal28 Said:
Hi all,

I used to be a hardcore scrapbooker. I bought all the materials and supplies, joined tons of crops (most of them online), and set to work feverishly on baby books for both my son and my daughter. I was in love with this hobby... and for years devoted all my free time to it.

Then... I started noticing that I was still signing up for all these crops... but most of my scrapbooking efforts went to making things for crops... and nothing for myself and my pages. I was signing up for things like Pet Crops even though I have no animals! I worked hard on all my layouts and paper pieces. The stuff I got from these crops, while some were amazing, the majority was shoddily thrown together, smelly and sloppy. I couldn't use them. Then people started fighting and bickering on the crop groups... and I lost my taste for them.

Then, I found out that I was pregnant with my third child. My husband was deployed overseas for most of my pregnancy and for the birth of our son. I was tired a lot. I was still feeling overwhelmed from all the crops and scrapbooking I did previously... that looking at my stash made me groan and feel frustrated.

A few days ago...we were looking at my oldest child's baby scrapbook. She loved all the layouts, photos, journaling, etc. She was squealing. My littlest guy, four-years-old now, asked where his book was.

Whoops.

I want to get back to scrapbooking again. I want to feel love for it again. I'm still overwhelmed with it though... and not sure how to start. When I think of all the photos I have to do... *shudder*

How can I get my mojo back?

My advice is to not think of all the photos you *have* to do. You don't *have* to do them all. Pick out your favorites and scrap them. Do the ones you want to do, not the ones you feel obligated to do. Who cares if photos aren't scrapped in order or kept up-to-date? You are sure to have fun if are choosing your favorites.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Luvmyfam

So my take-away from your original post is that you want to be excited about scrapping again, and do books and pages your kids will love, right? So THATS the type of scrapping you start with!! Get the kids punching paper scraps with you, choosing photos, remembering the stories to journal...and get back to what your original mission was, to remember those amazing days when they were little. My son is 4, and we sometimes scrap together, his pages are all orange paper and full of trains and cars, but they are his! And he scribbles the journaling in his own writing! Forget those old crops and classes, find a new group to crop with, or, as some have suggested, join a virtual crop here! But the main thing I think is to scrap what and who you love, and the smiles will be worth it!

OneScrappyGal28
New Kid On the Block
OneScrappyGal28
In response to Juansmom

Thank you all for your suggestions and words of encouragement. I'm starting to feel a little excited now. Will definitely check out the challenges listed here. Will also peruse the gallery for ideas... and read the forums. Thank you all so much for your kindness!! Have a great weekend.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

Hoping your mojo has at least opened the door for you to come back in to the scrapworld. When I "left" my creativity behind... for over a year, I got re-energized by attending a big annual convention, paying for a few classes, and getting together with some other crafty ladies. I did have to search to meet some. I also got vast amounts of help with youtube videos. Best wishes...

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to pinkpaperairedale

One other thing that definately gets me going are contests cause even though you may have to use certian products or themes I have always been able to make it work for some pics that I have.

Some of my favorite companies will have contests and have participated in a couple of those

The forums here are awsome and everyone here is awsome. So this is definately a great place to be for inspiration. All that being said I've been here for a few years now an have yet to take part in the challanges but am really gonna try and check them out finally. I do take part in the national scrapbooking day here which is ever so much fun!!!! I can't wait for that!

Welcome to the site!

Edited by Cindyckj on 01-18-13 06:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Cindyckj

When I get to the point I don't feel like scrapping anymore I pick the next photos I want to scrap and place them on a piece of white 12 x 12 paper. In no time at all I'm arranging the photos and then colors start popping out when they are against the white background. Before I know it I am picking out papers and embellies and things for it and its rolling. I'm fortunate to have an 8' banquet table to scrap on so I can layout 6 or 7 pages at a time and place the pictures on each one and as I start arranging them I can move them from one page to the next until it starts coming together for me.

I scrap chronologically becuase that is what works for me. I don't enjoy it unless I have goals, otherwise I get quickly bored with it but that is just me.

Everybody kind of feels different about that - what pictures to scrap, how much or how little, chronologically or what inspires you.

The only way to answer that is to go to the reason why you want to scrap. I scrap to document with pictures, jouraling and memorbilia the life my husband and I share and our travel memories. I don't want to miss a single event becuase some day when we can't travel anymore we will sit on the couch and relive each trip page by page.

Others scrap for the creativity and artistic side of scrapbooking and their pages are gorgeous!

Some scrap becuase it is relaxing and they just enjoy it.

I scrap with a purpose to get caught up and stay caught up - and that makes it enjoyable to me but would drive most people crazy.

I started scrapping 5 or 6 years ago when my husband and I started dating (we are retired and we do a lot of travelling and keeping busy) and I have kept up for the most part. I never let myself get more than one trip behind. Before we leave on a new trip I want the last one finished so I have about 100 pages to do before our March vacation but that is okay.

I have a little bit of old stuff to scrap - we were engaged as teenagers and broke up for 38 years. I have that old stuff and I want to get it done but I want to wait until the current stuff is done. Then I will tackle the older stuff between trips.

I agree with the comment above - much easier to start with the current and look forward and do older stuff as you have time. I really hate doing older stuff.

But to get my mojo, the best thing for me is to lay out my stuff on white paper and I may ignore it for a day or two, then I start playing with it.

I loved working in the business in corporate world where I had deadlines and things due - I work for a long time in advertising agencies where everything is a deadline so I put deadlines and goals on myself but most people would not be happy doing that. When I get behind I put a requirement of myself to do 2 or 4 pages a day and I do.

When I have pages that I don't want to do, just can't get into I really get into the gallery and get ideas and those always end up being my very favorite pages.

My goal right now is to be caught up before we run out the door again in early March. When I get home I'll estimate the pages and that will probably mean many pages every day but that is okay. I work better like that.

However, not many people do. You have to define what is right for you.

It does sound like you have goals for getting past books done.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics