Username Post: Equipment & supplies        (Topic#1584243)
Leeza701
New Kid On the Block
Leeza701

What should a Newbie purchase to begin her life as a scrapper? Is there a forum that explains how to maximize use of equioment to justify the cost. Most scrap items come with very little instructions on use. Example: embossing powder, sold in jars, how does it work & results? Most scrap items assume one knows how-to use it. I love collecting items now if I knew what I need for what example: adhesives- which for what & how. What is the best resources for beginners. I love beautiful paper, I need to have the heart to cut it up & use it!

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to Leeza701

Have you signed up for the beginner class from this site? They send you the info via email, I believe. Here is the link:

http://www.scrapbook.com/university/learntoscr apbook.ph...

And Welcome!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to ktmracing

Do you have any local scrapbooking stores in your area? They are gret resources, lots of time the owners are a wealth of information if you have a question on a product and lots of time they offer classes!!!
Unfortunately the local scrapbooking stores are getting few and far between.
I am a Stampin' Up demo and I host classes at my house in my local area. Other demos for SU and other companies do the samething. You can check their blogs or websites for class information.
The gallery is a great source of layouts. Pinterest is one of my faves too!! Youtube is great if you don't know how to use something, sometimes I will run a search on the item and see what comes up.
Most of all, just enjoy it!!! There are no rules, if you like it, go with it!!! Find a layout that you like, and try to create it!

You mentioned embossing powder so I'll start there. I have to be honest, I bought some cheap embossing powder when I first started out, HATED embossing!!! The results never looked good. I learned that sometimes, quality over quanity for me. I use Stampin' Up embossing powders because they match my cardstock colors which I like. I get good reults. There are several ways to wet emboss (dry embossing is done with embossing folders). I stamp my image in versamark, sprinkle my embossing powder over the image, and then I tap off the excess and use my heat gun to melt it. Done!
When I first started, I looked at a lot of blogs, got ideas, wanted to try them out for myself!! Just try!!! It's only paper!!!
Good luck!!!!
oh and scrapbooking advice- don't adhere down your photos until you are happy with your layout! You can even use a mat in place of your photos so you don't mess them up! Just until you are really comfy!

Edited by binkiemonstermom on 01-17-13 06:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Diva
In response to binkiemonstermom

I took a few classes at LSS and it was a great experience. Then, I found a scrapbook group in the area and joined then, These ladies were amazing sharing their expertise with me. AFter that I started looking into the internet, blogs, etc. Finally, I found this site and tooke their free classes, watched some videos, etc. Still learning!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bayamonesa1

Scrapbook.com is an excellent resource!

Check out the videos and gallery here (tabs at the top of the page).

Probably every imaginable question has been asked in the forums (at LEAST once ).

Just poke around here a bit, and you'll be sure to find answers to things you've never thought to ask.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

Somebody recently asked what they should buy, since they were new to scrapbooking and I'm going to share with you what I advised to them:

I would highly recommend stalking the gallery and see if there is a pattern for pages that jump out at you. Do they have clusters of flowers? Then you should probably buy flowers. (Or you can make them.)

A good acid-free adhesive is a must is a must. Most of us really stay away from glue sticks, even ones that say archival safe becuase the pages seem to warp and many have had experiences with the pages falling apart. My preference is ATG but I didn't start there. I started with the small tape runners made for scrapbooking.

I don't use anything that isn't acid-lignen free and when I use memorbilia, if it is not acid-lignen free I spray it with "Make it Acid Free" by Krylon.

You will need paper, adhesive and a trimmer. Those are the only things you have to have. I started out using scissors. Invest in a trimmer. Eveyrone has a favorite - mine is the Fiskars rotary. I do not like the guillotine trimmers but some love them. I also do not like the wire trimmers but there are a lot of fans for them. One is not better than the other, just different. You will most likely become attached to whatever you start with. If you go to a scrapbook store or take a class or crop at Archivers or Michaels they will let you try to see what you like.

Eveyrone told me I needed journaling pens. I bought several journaling pens. I have never taken the cap off one. If you are happy with your handwriting and want to have your handwriting in your book then get some acid free journaling pens. If like me, you prefer your journaling to be typed and like editing it on the computer, you are wasting your money to buy journaling pens. I just threw a bunch out that had never been opened. Just depends what you want to do to write your stories and make your notes.

Paper stacks - a lot of the ladies love them becuase they are somewhat matched and the price is definitely more economical to buy them that way. I do not buy paper packs becuase I waste about 75% of the pages. Just don't use them and they end up in a donation pile. I'd rather buy my pages separately and mix and match myself. I don't want to try to force myself to use paper just because it came in the pack and I don't want to waste it. I would buy one and see how you like the packs. You may use every sheet in it and it may be perfect for you. I just like to hand-pick all my papers by themes and colors. It costs more that way but if you don't use most of them in the packs, then that can be more costly. Start with just one pack.

Some buy solid cardstock in packs and that is a good way to start too. I have thousands of sheets of cardstock on hand but I've been accumulating them for years.

Stamps - buy one and see how you like it. I am not a stamper and I make a mess so its not for me. I only own one stamp and it is a special one I really wanted - kind of a dripping goey thing that a scrapbook.com buddy had made for each of us custom and I love it. I really plan to use it, just waiting for the right layout. However, I doubt I buy anymore becuase overall, I don't like stamping.

Stickles - they are awesome but I've never used mine and I've had them about 5 years. However, they are on the list of things I do plan to use. If you like them, then get a bottle or two. Try them and if you want more, then get them.

I love punches. I think everyone should have 1 or 2 or 20 or 30. But look through the gallery and if the things you like have punchwork on them, then buy one and try it. I've learned that I like the Fiskars squeeze punches for single punches and I'm fine with any of the border punches.

Bigger things like a Big Shot and Cricut or other machines which can get pricey - go to Archivers or Michaels or places that have classes and crops and many have one you can try out to see how you like them. Don't rush into buying the bigger tools like that until you decide if you are going to use it enough to justify it. Plus, there are so many choices out there - Cricut, Cameo, Silhouette, Pazzles, Gazelle - check them all out and find out which one is right for you.

There was a thread recently where we all talked about what we had bought and never used. The list was long. I love micro glitter and invested over $300 in the stuff. Never opened it.

I guess my advise to you is to buy good quality adhesive and a trimmer and acid free papers, either single or in a pack.

A lot of us went crazy on sale stuff and bought tons of stuff that we weren't in love with but it was on sale. Stop and think if you love it and would purchase it even if it were not on sale - if you love it that much. If so, then buy the sale items but the tendency is to stock up on stuff on sale that are nice at the moment but not all that exciting. That is the stuff that never gets used. Shop on sale, but only if you really want it, not just to have scrapbook stuff.

Go slow buying stuff. This wonderful hobby of scrapbooking can quickly turn into an expensive hobby of collecting things you will not use.

I would certainly buy differently if I was starting over. So much I would not buy. Now if I were starting over I would not buy more than one or two of anything until I decided if I liked it and if it was my style.

Study the layouts in the gallery, in magazines or books and see what techniques or things you love and that is what you should buy. Do not buy ribbons or buttons unless you are going to use them. For years I collected them and now that I have a granddaughter I'm using them and I love them. Same with flowers. Now I use them. For 5 years or more I just collected them. But if my son had not presented me with a beautiful baby granddaughter in Sept, 2011, I would still have a collection of buttons and ribbon which would never be used.

Twinkling H2O's - love them. Never used them. Have all the colors.

I have found that I loved the Cats Eye chalks - use those on edge of most of my photos and I really love the Tim Holtz distress inks but start out with one or two of those in neutral colors and then if you enjoy using them and like that look, buy more. I started out with Vintage Photo and Tea Dye and found I did want more since they are awesome and a product that I do use.

Okay, I've written a book. Buy what you will use. Just becuase others love journaling pens or stamps or distress inks doesn't mean you will so go slowly until you know what you like.

Must haves - some paper, trimmer and good adhesive.

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Henri Jean

I still scrapbook like I'm in the stone age, lol. The best advice I can give you is to not buy every gadget you see. Scrapbooking can be very expensive but doesn't have to be.

First, you will need to decide on the size of your LO's. If you choose 12x12 then you will need an album that can hold them. If you make 8.5x11, then any 3 ring binder can be used. With any size, you will need page protectors.

Now, aside from those basics you will need paper and cardstock. If you make 12x12 LO's, then the scrapbooking isle of stores is the only place to find these things. If you make 8.5x11, then check the office and school supply section of stores as well. This is the size I prefer, so the office supply section is where I get my albums and page protectors. Avery makes acid free and archive safe protectors and only cost about $1.25 for 25 of them at Wal-Mart. You can use any paper that is acid free and archive safe, and printer paper fits that category as does other types of "office" paper, just read the labels. Also, Wal_mart has began carrying acid free construction paper. Many people don't use construction paper, but I get it for my boys "scrapbooking to learn" and notebook studies for their homeschool.

You will also need some good scissors, and I would advise getting atleast a couple of pairs of decorative edged ones. As for adhesive, their is much to choose from at varying prices. I discovered that the school supply section carries glue sticks made by ROSS that are acid free and archive safe.

You are also going to need some good gel pens for doing your journaling. Again, these should be acid free and archive safe. Avoid crayons because their wax can stick to your page protectors or other LO's if you don't use the page protectors. Color pecils and markers don't have this issue. With markers such as Crayola, I wouldn't use them if you make LO's on the back sides of your paper because they can bleed through. I don't use the backs of my LO's to make more LO's so this is not an issue for me.

Glitter is popular, but can be messy unless you seal it. Thre are adhesives that you can use to seal such things, its a type of glaze. I saw it used on Youtube, which can be a good source for how to demonstrations.

Stickers are iffy. Some people use a lot of them and others don't. Personally I wouldn't invest a lot of money in them. I have quite a bit, but don't use them as much as I first thought I would.

If you buy kits, you can use punch outs and stuff to make stencils on cardstock or even empty cereal boxes. I do this and then I can recreate items with other supplies. I use such stencils with making borders, frames, tags, and tabs mostly.

Now, embellishments. Stickers can fit into this category. But others are: ribbon, embordery floss, buttons, brads, charms, die cuts, chipboard, and a lot more. I make a lot of my own embellishments. One very easy one is flowers, You can make your own using a heart shape for the petals. Cut 4 hearts, use a circle for the center. Apply adhesive on the back of the circle and attach the hearts by putting their bottom points in the glue. Allow to dry and you have an emblie. I get buttons off of ruined clothing and beads and charms from broken costume jewelry.

You will likely want alphabets. You can buy them or even print them. You can find MANY free computer fonts that work well for this.

Paper piecings are another type of embellishment. I personally like these, and you can find many printable patterns online. Quilt patterns also make interesting paper piecings.

Shop stores after major holidays and you can pick up holiday themed supplies for pennies on the dollar. I recently got some Christmas themed rub ons for 30 cents per pack. Dollar stores often carry scrapbooking embellishments for about $1 per pack.

I would also recommend that you invest in a good craft knife. These come in handy for making frames, cutting alphabets, etc.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics