Username Post: Technologically challenged        (Topic#1584265)
OneScrappyGal28
New Kid On the Block
OneScrappyGal28

Am I one of the only ones without a die cutting machine... that's still using coloring book pages to make handmade paper pieces?

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to OneScrappyGal28

You can use punches. You can also go to Archivers or Michaels for their crop nights if you live near one. For a small fee, you can use their equipment. Do you have a good trimmer? I think that is a MUST. Clear or cling stamps can add a lot to a card and don't take up much space.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I have both a manual and a computer based die cutting machine, and I still revert to using my templates to trace and then cut out certain pieces. Sometimes they are even shapes I could make on the machines. I just enjoy the process of cutting them myself I think.

Edited by KatieJo on 01-18-13 04:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to KatieJo

Manual machines are REALLY easy, there is a small learning curve, very small- at least with the big shot because the multipurupose pad that comes with it has all the information that you need on it!!! If you decide to update...I highly recommend the Big Shot! LOVE mine!!!

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to binkiemonstermom

My first die cutting machine was the red little sizzix sidekick. And I waited for it to go on sale and then waited for an alpha set to go on sale too. lol Took a while but a sale made it so much more affordable.

But now I haven't used it in ages since I got my first cricut machine. And I wish i'd have gotten the expression version as it cuts bigger images where as the create version limits your size to half the potential that you'd have with the 12x12 cuttin mat of the expression.

I like the electronic version over the manual cutters like the sidekick or the big shot because of all the storage space you have to have for all the dies that you have to buy plus the fact that you just have the one size of the die verses the cricut where you can pick what ever size you want.

Since the cricut has come out with newer models of the expression the older version is much more affordable now a days thankfully.

But I still find myself not using a die cutting machine for most of my layouts anyway.
Products Referenced in This Post:

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Cindyckj

You aren't technologically challenged... you are kickin' it old school and there is nothing wrong with that!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to t-scraps

Wow, a question about whether she's the only one who does not have a diecutting system, and the responses are a bunch of sales pitches for different machines!
What a bunch of pushers.

I do NOT have a die cutting machine. Nor do I have the desire for one.

I do have some Coluzzle templates and punches, but no machine.
I honestly cannot justify the expense and space.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Bxr-Linda

I wasn't selling one and think I basically said I hardly ever even use them. Was just trying to explain some differences for her.

Diva
In response to Cindyckj

I have machines but I love paper piercing.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to OneScrappyGal28

• OneScrappyGal28 Said:
Am I one of the only ones without a die cutting machine... that's still using coloring book pages to make handmade paper pieces?

OneScrappyGal28- I don't have machines either. Not even a trimmer, nevermind anything more complicated than a decent pair of scissors. And I'm pretty sure if you like how coloring book pages work for you, it's all good.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 01-18-13 02:17 PM
In response to gin1902

It doesn't make you technologically challenged, it just means you get joy out of making the cutouts yourself Some people get more enjoyment out of doing things like cutting paper or making their own embellies and whatnot. Then there are some, like me, who get more enjoyment out of the finished product. So I have a cricut to help me get things done faster because if it takes me too long I will get frustrated and overwhelmed. I don't think it has anything to do with technology. If you enjoy the process you have, then it's good that you don't feel pressured to buy a gadget just because other people have them.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-18-13 02:21 PM
In response to gin1902

Pushers, lol!! Machine users do love their machines, usually

If you enjoy what you're doing and how you're doing it, there's no reason whatsoever for you to change anything unless you want to! And I know there are several people here (and I'm sure many more out in the non-sb.com world) who also don't have machines or even want one.

Coloring book pages are awesome clean line drawings. I use them sometimes to create die-cuts for my Gazelle electronic cutter. I personally don't like hand-cutting because as a left-handed person it's extremely difficult to find good, proper scissors (and the so-called ambidextrous ones simply do not work the same for left-handed use, the mechanics are different), nor do I enjoy fussy cutting even with a good pair of scissors. So for me, machines are better.

I do enjoy other hand-work - for example, even though I have a big Kitchenaid mixer and a handheld electric mixer, for a souffle I still usually whip egg whites by hand with a balloon whisk. It just makes me happy. And that's the whole point, I think - do what you love, and love what you're doing!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to stick

"Pushers"....I call it enablers!!!! Join the dark side!!!! We have cookies!!!!

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to binkiemonstermom

• binkiemonstermom Said:
"Pushers"....I call it enablers!!!! Join the dark side!!!! We have cookies!!!!

mmmm.....cookies..... chocolate chip?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to gin1902

May I put in an order for Snickerdoodles?

And if you get a chance check out sbartist's gallery. She does awesome paper piecing by hand using colorbooks and logos on menus - just about anything and they are fantastic.

She makes nicer things by hand than I can make with my machines (and she has a Cuttlebug and a collection of dies and embossing folders that would make you dizzy!)

I wish I had just a little bit of her talent!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to stick

• stick Said:

I personally don't like hand-cutting because as a left-handed person it's extremely difficult to find good, proper scissors (and the so-called ambidextrous ones simply do not work the same for left-handed use, the mechanics are different), nor do I enjoy fussy cutting even with a good pair of scissors. So for me, machines are better.

That's me too! I always think its just my abilities but now I'll blame it on being left handed!
That's why I can't drive stick shift either. Maybe I should move to England?

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to t-scraps

• t-scraps Said:
You aren't technologically challenged... you are kickin' it old school and there is nothing wrong with that!

This!

I have the Sizzix and a Cricut and I still find clip art online and use tracing paper held up to my computer to screen and then I trace the design at times.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Henri Jean

Cookies If you're making a double batch of those choc. chip ones, send me a few please!...and could you put some dark choc. chunks in the mix, too? [said while scarfing down some dark choc., left from my Christmas sock ]

My printer/graphics programs let me make pictures into coloring book pages, so I do that sometimes with photos, then jazz them up with paper, cloth, lace...whatever looks interesting. I made a couple of big wall-size pictures that way for grandkids and it also works good for scrapping or cards.

I have a cuttlebug, Creatopia, Cameo Silhouette and Cricut Expression, but love using scissors and x-acto knife. The one thing I like about using the cuttlebug is being able to emboss the die-cut pieces, but it's certainly not necessary.

Have fun with however you choose to do it. Using coloring-book type of pages is just another technique.~Judy

flhomeschoolmom
Veteran
flhomeschoolmom
In response to mrsdriver5

No, you are not the only one without a die cutting machine. I too still use coloring books or more often printable coloring sheets. But I'm content doing it this way. I've also gotten paper piecing patterns from quilt books!

I don't have the money or the space to invest in die cutting things. And it would be my luck that if I did get one, I'd still do things like I've always done them.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-18-13 05:21 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
Cookies If you're making a double batch of those choc. chip ones, send me a few please!...and could you put some dark choc. chunks in the mix, too? [said while scarfing down some dark choc., left from my Christmas sock ]

How in the world do you still have christmas stocking candy left at this late date?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to stick

Of course I was just poking fun.
Everyone has their preferences, and that's awesome.

How boring if EVERYONE did the same thing, the same way?!

WVScrapThis
New Kid On the Block
WVScrapThis
In response to Bxr-Linda

I forgot all about using coloring book pages and printables for paper piecing. Unfortunately, I was never good at using chalk and pens to give it a more 'life like' feel so a machine works better for me. It gives me the look I wanted to achieve but couldn't without the mechanical help.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics