Username Post: Bottle Caps        (Topic#1584291)
New Kid On the Block

What's with the bottle caps? What's the attraction? What do they mean? What are they used for? I simply don't get it! Thanks for some insight anyone can give

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to desert daisy

Well they can be easily squashed in a Cuttlebug or Big Shot, which means that you can make your own embellishments. They would look good on party LOs, or summer pages depending on the drink.

I squashed some wine bottle caps from our trip to the South Australian wine region and I loved the look on my LOs of that trip.

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to RedSquirrel

They look pretty cool when decorated and used as embellishments. I've seen them used in jewelry making,too, but I've only used them for embellishments on LOs, tags, altered stuff, ATCs. Here are a couple examples:

Beach ATC By Provinca

Happy New Year ATC By Provinca

Altered Ceramic Tile - Halloween By Provinca

Summer Tag Swap - Garden By Provinca

NEW Maya Road CHA - Altered Bottle Caps Frame By Maya Road

Bottle cap swap - vintage By GMFTS

Edited by provinca on 01-19-13 08:03 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to provinca

I've used a couple when I had round embellishments of the perfect size (like a baseball sticker), and I bought a themed predecorated pack one time for a page (but that had everything to do with the theme and nothing to do with the bottlecaps), but mostly I am very literal about my embellishments, so my primary uses of them have been on a page about soda and a page about a sculpture made of... bottle caps.

Washington DC 2012 - Page 25 - Bottle Cap Giraffe. By Aquabunny

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to aquabunny

For me, they are a fun embellishment, like any other embellishment.

I am a little sentimental about them, though, because they remind me of my childhood...so many memories related to being somewhere and being able to get an icy cold bottle of pop on a hot summer day!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to justowen

Bottle caps have been big in the past and making a come back. Stampin' Up even has some in their new Spring catalog, in various sizes. I have to say, I am loving the mini ones!!!!

Do I DARE admit that I have yet to smash them in my bigshot?!!! It is ON my to do list though! I love the way they look!

I recently say a bottle cap necklace done. Using layers and crystal effects...it was sssssoooo cute!!! I am thinking of making these for my next project!!!

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to binkiemonstermom

I like bottle caps, but I haven't used them in LO's. The main reason I haven't is because I do not own a machine that I can smash them with. To smash them I would have to find another means. But I love looking at LO's that use them. And a "found item" that I'm wanting to incorporate into some of my LO's is soda can tabs.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to flhomeschoolmom

Don't worry, the first time I smashed them, I used a sledgehammer on a concrete floor.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to aquabunny

I need some vintage Coke bottle caps. I mean the ones from the 1950's that acutally have cork in them. My dad worked for Coke then. I have seen them on line but haven't made a special effort to get them yet.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to CrimsonMama

I made necklaces for my family members when my daughter went to the AF during basic training. I've used them as embellies on alot of my mini albums. You can smash them in the cuttlebug. They are just cute and vintage looking.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics