Username Post: Baby Album        (Topic#1584295)
Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace

So I have to give a little back story....

My cousin was previously married and a big issue in her marriage was her husband realizing he didn't want children. She has remarried, but her husban is quite a few years older than she is and already has a teenage daughter. My cousin kind of finally accepted in her life she wasn't going to be a mother.

Fast forward a few years after her getting remarried. We have an annual scrapbook weekend where we baracade ourselves and scrap like like 10-midnight each day. We were talking this ast summer and the conversation of her really realizing how much she wants children came up. She had just made this adorable 8x8 baby album for her husbands cousin. She said, Tiff, if I ever have kids I want you to make me an album (even though she has mad scrappy skills to do it for herself)

She texted me Wednesday..call me on your lunch, even if you only have a minute, it's important. I call her..and she says...remember when we were scrapping and I said I'd want you to make me an album....before she could finish the sentance I cut her off and go....oooh oooh, do I get to make a baby album?!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited and happy for her. She is do the end of August/early September, so I have some time to get this made.

But I need help! I have been scrapbooking my travels for years...and have no idea where I'll begin making her an album.

What kind of pages should I include?? It will be one where she can kind of add the photos and fill in the journaling herself.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Samothrace

I have done a couple of baby albums as gifts. I used 8X8 size. There are several ways to do it. You can do an album of firsts: first food, first steps, first smile. You can do it as a monthly book for the first year, decorating the pages with a monthly theme. Such as Feb would be LOVE BUG, or Cute as a bug....then decorate accordingly. A christmas layout, halloween layout. Hope that makes sense. I always put a mat where the picture would go. Leave a spot for journaling too!

flhomeschoolmom
Pro
flhomeschoolmom
In response to binkiemonstermom

Oooh, I love baby albums. My DH and I made one together for our oldest son. And he purchased me a kit to make one for our youngest son. Sadly, both of those got burned in a house fire :(, but I really wanted my boys to have a baby album. So, I've spent the last few years piecing them back together. It's taking me so long because of a lack of photos and having to ask extended family if they have any, and then wait for them to find them, make copies, and send them to me.

Anyways, you should first decide on a size you want to make. And then perhaps a theme. Some popular themes are: Baby Looney Tunes, Winnie the Pooh, Disney Babies, Teddy Bears, and just general baby stuff like bottles, rattles, onsies, etc.

I would make the book in pastel colors. Yellow, light green, and white work very well for a gender neutral album. Pink and lavendar are very nice for girl albums. And of course for boy albums light blue and the gender neutral colors are fabulous.

Decide how many pages you want to make. If you want to include pages for the pregnancy, then of course you're going to have more pages than if you just cover baby's first year.

Now, some pages I would include are (and not necessarily in this order):
1) We learned you were on the way
2) Letter to baby from Mom
3) Letter to baby from Dad
4) Letter(s) to baby from sibling(s)
5) Page for mom to put pictures of her growing tummy (1 picture per month of pregnancy).
6) Pages for the baby shower. Leave a place where mom can put a shower invitation as well as pictures.
7) Welcome Baby! (This would be a two to four page LO for the hospital pictures, baby's name, date of birth, time of birth, weight, and length. This would also be a great place for mom to be able to place the baby bands and card from the hospital bassinet)
Tiny Hands and Tiny Feet (another 2 page LO, one for baby's hand prints and another for baby's foot prints).
9) Make a 2 page LO of each month of baby's life. Include a calendar on one side of the LO so mom can write in "first tooth", "first smile", "dr. visits", "first baby food", "first word", "rolled over", "started crawling", "first steps", and that sort of thing. On the page opposite the calendar, have a place for atleast 1 photo of the baby at that age and a place for some journaling of where and when the photo was taken.
10) Make a 2 page LO for the baby's nursery.
11) Have a page for each parent to be able to write their first reactions after the baby was born. Sometimes those reactions are funny, sometimes very touching. An example was when my oldest son was born. My first reaction was "Oh my God it's a boy and he has to go home in a dress!" (We had been told we were having a girl). My husband's first reaction was tears and a smile like I had never seen before.
12) Have a place for the baby's first birthday.
13) Include a page for the baby's birth announcement that the parents send to family and friends.
14) Include a page for cards the mom recieved either at the shower, or at the hospital, etc. This idea could be broken down into multiple pages.
15) Another good thing to include, is "First Visitors" with (or near) the baby's hospital things.
16) Quotes are great to include in LO's and there are plenty to be found here at SB.
17) Baby's first outing might be something you would want to include.

I hope these ideas are helpful. Also, you could consider making the pages of the album pocket pages for little momentos to be slipped down into.

You can look at free baby book printables online to get even more ideas of things you could do.

Have fun with this project. And I'm sure that whatever you decide to do, the mom is going to love it!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to flhomeschoolmom

I am currently in the process of making a baby album for a gift for my nephew & wife that just had a new baby boy. My case is different because they do not know I'm making it, and I'm sure they probably have a "regular" baby book.

I decided to use a jungle animal theme and not use titles on the page. I'm just leaving plenty of room for journaling, and letting her decide what pictures are going to go in it. I'm using general baby stamps with baby sayings so it is not a specific page theme.

Have fun with it! My DH & I do not have children so it's been fun for me to do something totally different.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to flintridgescrapper

I've made two of these, thirty pages each. Neither album had a theme. I was very careful to NOT include pages that would involve trying to get a specific picture at a specific time (like "first bath" or "first smile" or something, just generic bathtime and smile pages), to take the pressure off. I didn't do "first outing" at all and instead of "first visitors" just did "family and friends." I didn't do any pages for things before the birth. The last page in both albums is "My Dreams For You."

Pages I've done for other people's add-photos-later baby albums:
Welcome Baby (the title page, to include date/weight/time etc)
Mommy and Me/Daddy and Me (a set of two single-page layouts)
Big Brother, Little Sister
Furry Friends (for a family with lots of pets in addition to the babies)
Family and Friends
Bath Time
Sleepy Baby
6 Months Old
10 Things I Love About You (using pockets by Deja Views/LYB)
Smile!/First Tooth
Play Time
First Words (lots of journaling space, no photo mat)
Crawl, Stand, Walk/Baby On The Move (without obligating mom to have a picture of actual first steps)
My First Year (four pages with a journaling spot for each month, the fourth page being a first birthday page)
All About Me (for a listing of firsts and favorites)
Autumn (2 pages)
Winter/Christmas (2 pages)
Spring/First Mother's Day
First Father's Day
Summer
My Dreams For You

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't do a two-page spread for each month in a gift album unless I were basically doing no other pages, especially not in a case like yours where the mom-to-be is already a scrapper and will want to handle some things herself. Two pages for each month is 24 pages all by itself and I found that 30 was enough for me to be making.

Be careful about using any themes involving licensed characters - I mean, make sure the parents are okay with that, if you're going to incorporate Pooh or Disney or Thomas the Tank Engine or something. Some people try to avoid licensed characters in their little ones' lives and it's important to respect that.

Edited by aquabunny on 01-19-13 12:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flhomeschoolmom
Pro
flhomeschoolmom
In response to aquabunny

I recommended considering a theme because some parents love baby themes. I'm one of those parents. With my oldest son, NO ONE could find a Baby Looney Tunes baby book. I had no choice to create the book myself. The closest anyone got to finding a baby book, was a "My First Year" calendar in the theme that came with stickers for Dr. appintments, firsts, etc. I incorporated the calendar into the book. Unfortunately, both the book and the calendar got burned and lost in a fire. A LOT was irreplaceable, including custom artwork that my DH did. He actually drew the Baby Looney Tunes Characters into the book. It was amazing.

With my youngest son, I had tons of Baby Looney Tunes stuff left over from my oldest, such as crib bedding, recieving blankets, etc. But although the items were useful, I wanted him to have a diffrent theme. I never wanted him to feel like he was less significant than his older brother. So, I picked another theme and ended up choosing Winnie the Pooh. But, again the book was lost in the house fire.

I've given up on ever having what I once had for each of them. But I still want them to have a "Baby Memories" book. So, I'm slowly rebuilding one. But now I don't remember the exact date of firsts, but I do remember age. I still remember the original themes I had. So I'm building books that contain a lot of journaling and very few photos. I'm making paper piecings of the characters and getting my DH to draw backgrounds.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to flhomeschoolmom

I just started one for my niece and her husbands newborn. I don't really have a theme but am structuring pages from the same paper pack so they kind of coordinate throughout the book. Since it's a small 8x8 I usually do two pages as one. I try to keep the pictures 3.5x5" so if she wants to change them out she easily can. For page themes I did hospital pages using titles like "Special Delivery", "Welcome Baby", "Momma" pages, "Daddy" pages, "Big Brother" pages. And then just some pages for random shots such as "Sweet Dreams"(for sleepy photos), "Little Man", "Tiny Bubbles"(for bath time). Once I got started the ideas started flowing. Hope you have as much fun making it as I did!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to olleharr

Look in my gallery. I do lots of 6x6 albums for gifts. I use one 6x6 paper pad for an album. They are designed so the parent can put their own pics in. There is 2 baby boy albums in there.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to SherylEb

Am in process of making one but I do a page here n there as it is for me children who are already near teenage years.

This is what I want in their baby albums:

First page: Babycard/announcement
Second page: Their first photo's ( in delivery room/babyward ect)
Third page: photo's of the parents with the baby
Fourth page: photo's with either siblings or grandparents

Siblings or grandparents, which can also be devided between 2 pages...

For the rest, I make them as I go along. But those I definately want in their albums...

If they dont know what it will be, I'd use colours like purples, greens, yellows.

Hope it helps.

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to TheCharmedOne

Thanks for all the help girls! Already gave me some good ideas. I imagine I'll stick more to a color scheme....even if it is a girl, my cousins favorite color is green...like me...so she'll probably be using loads of greens anyway!

I think I'm more worried about trying to scrap without the photos as inspiration! lol

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Samothrace

I agree with you Tiffany. I found it very hard to scrap without the pictures. I did the first half of the baby album without pictures. The second half seems to be a lot easier with photos.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to olleharr

look in meezerpleaser's gallery: http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/413615/view /3693291/...

She was making a baby album as a gift and I found alot of great ideas for my DD's baby book I'm working on.

Sweet Baby (Scraplifted from MeezerPleaser) By Rubymillerand

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to Monique_McCoy

Congratulations to your cousin . . . I'm sure she's thrilled beyond belief!

I did a baby album for a co-worker; she is an avid gardener, a horticulture teacher, and a very "no-frills" kind of gal, so I used that as my starting point. I made her a month-by-month watch-me-grow type of album with a gardening theme. Each page has a spot for a picture for that month (one month, two months, etc.) and also has a pocket with a tag that she can jot down things that happened that month. I also included quotes that had to do with gardening and children (thank you Google!)

Here's the link to the album.

http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to provinca

First of all, congrats to the parents-to-be! How exciting!

Then... Thanks, Monique, for referencing that 8x8 album I did! Boy, was that hard work doing pages without pictures. I did most of it in pink and white for a girl, and then had the mother-to-be, when she received it, tell me she didn't like pink and would rather have had lavendar and green. So I guess the color is important to some people!!

I've got to make another album for a little boy this time. I've decided to do it in primary, Crayola colors, since I don't know what the color preference is.

And my pages were all pretty generic for the girl's album - "Precious," "Daddy's Little Girl," Sweet Baby," etc. I didn't want to force the parents into making pictures of specific events in specific orientations.

Best advice? Have fun with it!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics