Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Where do you draw the line?        (Topic#1584307)
CoysGran
New Kid On the Block
CoysGran

Hello ladies! Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I am trying to reorganize my scrapbook "toys" in preparation for my new desk arriving Monday and have just TONS of little piles of things all over my bed! My question is: where do YOU draw the line with leftover stickers, etc. and finally pitch them or give them away? I seem to hang onto stuff WAAAAY too long and would love some input...or maybe just the reason I need to seriously purge my stock! Thanks

HappyCat
Tenant
HappyCat
In response to CoysGran

There are very few things I give away. I think the only stickers I managed to part with were of a little girl gymnast and a set of graduation stickers marked 2009. Everything else gets filed away into one of my storage containers for future use.

I think I might be a scrapbook hoarder. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to HappyCat

Luckily I have one friend who scrapbooks so ocassionaly i'll make up a kit of stuff that I know she can use. But it's very rare.

I have a hard time using stuff if I can't see them.

I keep thinking i'll use the stuff and very rarely get rid of anything and I keep getting more stuff and getting more storage to hold it all. lol

Goodluck to you and welcome to the site!

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 01-19-13 10:35 AM
In response to Cindyckj

PURGE it woman!! I left paper scrapping for digital and gave all my stuff to my grandgirls catholic school. I also sold alot of stuff at a local crop event.

If you keep everything it will just sit there reminding you of it's evil presence! LOL

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 01-19-13 10:37 AM
In response to charK

Find a local HOSPICE to give stuff to...they always need things to decorate with and make cards for families and for therapeutic stuff. I volunteer at my local Hospice and know they will be happy to have your unwanted items.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to charK

I purge whenever I spend too much time watching Hoarders. Anything that I decide to part with goes to my daughter's former elementary school art teacher to use with her students.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to moxiegirl23

I purge once a year....and give some things to the Kids' hospital near us, others I sell in a local yard sale...

I only hang onto things that I LOVE and know I will use....I ask myself if I really love it, if the answer is yes, I keep it. If you find yourself thinking, I might use that for something someday....toss it!

Alison

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 01-19-13 02:05 PM
In response to kiyawinn

Oh yes the age old scrapper question...what and when to get rid of stuff.

About every 6 months I say, time to get rid of some stuff. It never fails to amaze me that some of the stuff I kept the last time I get rid of the next time.

I know we all aren't a lot of help, but isn't nice to know you're not alone.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to KimKV

I go through my stuff 2-3 times per year and get rid of whatever I can let go of. If I can't let go of it, I hang on to it until I can or I use it-- As far as stickers, I get rid of leftovers after I am done with the project I used them on. I keep a donation box going all the time, when it is full, I give the stuff away. I have mailed a couple of boxes to Ms.Pebbles. She has a thread on here where people can ask for 2-3 items per month and she will send it to them. I have also mailed boxes to ladies that are down on their luck or who have lost all their stuff in a fire or some other tragedy. I mainly take my left overs to the local school, though.

scrapmomof4
Pro
scrapmomof4
In response to terrihooper

Sometimes I challenge myself to make a certain number of layout using primarily old stuff before I allow myself to buy anything new. Just pick a number and try it!

gigikay
Governor
gigikay
In response to scrapmomof4

Never purge, sooner or later a Grandkid will want to create something or I will use it. Been scrapping for so long I have a small store in my craft room but I love it all.

ScrappinMom4
Guru
ScrappinMom4
In response to CoysGran

I know that 'non-scrapbook' people would think I have too much stuff...but you all know that there is nothing better than having choices when scrapping. I get rid of things through donations when I feel it's time...it's not very often though, lol. Love my stuff!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to ScrappinMom4

I haven't purged, but honestly, I don't think I have much I won't use. If I find I do, I will give it to my mother-in-law.

Jessica G-B
Expert
Jessica G-B
In response to ScrappinMom4

When I used to scrap traditionally, on stickers I would write the month and year on the back when I bought them. Anything older than three years went into a special plastic bin that I kept on top of my work space. Anything that was still sitting in the bin after a total of four years in my collection (so still in the special bin after a year) got donated to a local women's shelter, day care, or an elementary school near us. Now that I have kids a little older (6 and 10), they like to use up my leftover traditional scrap supply.

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 01-19-13 09:16 PM
In response to Jessica G-B

purge? what is that word? does not compute! lol!

Hubby made me a scraproom with lots of storage - never have to purge! it is all hidden in drawers or on shelves. plus, one day my kids will scrap with me.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to timon

I sometimes give things away to new scrappers I meet who are in need. I do that with things I have alot of like when I buy bunches of brads or reams of card stock, or those times when I find something I didn't realize I still had because it was packed in a box! I figure since I didn't remember I had it I won't miss it if I give it away. I do like to share stuff tho so sometimes I donate stuff to the Senior Center or to a local school. I like to (try) to follow the rule that if I don't know what I am going to use something on I should give it away or sell it. Sometimes you can recoups a little $ by selling scrappy things, then go buy more

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to catzscrapper

My cousins have plenty of kids and I have boxed up and sent several of them some older supplies or stuff I know I won't use.

The LSS has a garage sale twice a year and I have thought about getting rid of old stuff that way, but so far have never been organized enough to do that.

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead
In response to Sherrenae

I work in a public library, and I give stuff to the children's librarian often. They love getting stuff, even if it's ugly. Wait, not ugly, but maybe completely unmatchable. Yeah, that's it,unmatchable.

Kids love stickers and just stick them for the heck of sticking. The librarian loves all the letter stickers.

Speaking of ugly, why did I acquire that stuff in the first place? Was it cheap or something? Who knows.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to CoysGran

After I complete a few projects I like to do a re-sort of my papers, stickers, etc. When I have items that I know I will not use for my boys layouts I pass them along to a scrapping friend. When I have stickers and papers I know for sure I will not use again I bring them into my classroom. The kids just love creating with them. I like to only have things I am pretty sure I will use again in some way. Other than those I live by "when it doubt, throw it out!"

FYDawn
FYDawn 
Tenant
FYDawn
In response to Vintageivy

Yikes! I shouldn't answer....I'm definitely a hoarder! I might use/need it one day. I have a hard time throwing away a scrap that I could use a 1/2" circle punch for an accent someday!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics