Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Moved. Trying to plan room.        (Topic#1584311)
bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

Hey guys!
So, we moved into a new house last month. We love it! The biggest bonus to me is the extra bedroom. Hello scrapbooking room! How nice is my hubby to let me have it all to myself? lol.

Anyways. I'm having a really hard time planning it. Since i have a proper space now, I can set up something permament, and really get it the way I want it. I guess I'm scared to buy things and have it not work out the greatest.

My room is about 10 ft by 11 feet. It has a window at about 5 feet on one wall, a light at about 6 feet on the other wall, and the third wall has sort of a devider sectioning it into 3 ft sections. Sort of makes it hard to decide what to put where. Ack.

I love it but I just can't wrap my mind around how to plan it or what I'll need.

Features I want to include:
-desk space for computer, printer and cricut.
-table space for main project area.
-some sort of virtical storage for paper
- and the hardest part is how to store everything else. Drawers? Cube storage? Shelves with baskets?! How do you decide?

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to bcblondie

Look at the scraprooms in the gallery for ideas, then think about what worked for you in the past, and how to improve the rest. I am finishing up moving this week, and in the same boat as you. I don't want to spend any $$, so I have to work with what I have. Do you like a long table or everything around you in a u-shape? pegboard with items hanging on walls, or tucked out of site in drawers? Have fun!!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to bcblondie

Have a look at some of the scraprooms on here in the gallery or google it...you'll find a lot of ideas!
My scraproom is also a spare bedroom that is approx. 10x11 but it is also our home office and my son's schoolroom (I homeschool)....
So we put a desk around two side of the room, along one wall and then also under the window wall. It works great and I use under the desk space for a small filing cabinet etc...
I have a large bookshelf on one wall and an Ikea Expedit system on one wall that is all good storage.
Above the desk are shelves and my ribbon holder...

Good luck and have fun with it!
Alison

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to kiyawinn

Thank you for the replies already! So quick!

Yes I've been ALL over pinterest trying to figure out what I want!
In the old house I had a computer desk but that broke, and then 3, unmatching, not well sliding drawer dressers. So I would like to do away with those.

Also, in the old house the room could not be closed off from my cats or children. Now I can. So that changes how I can have things laid out. I can keep my ribbon out and hanging now if i want! Instead of smashed in a drawer!

I LOOOVE the ikea expedit systems. We just got an ikea here like 2 months ago. (winnipeg)

Here is a quick diagram of my room.

Help me plan my new room By Bcblondie

ScrappinMom4
Guru
ScrappinMom4
In response to bcblondie

I agree with everyone...look at the posts here in the gallery. Take notes and give yourself time. It always seems like I am changing how I organize my stuff.

One thing I 'love' are my cabinets...super easy and not too expensive from the big box hardware store. There might be a pic of them in my gallery.

Maybe start creating in there with a few items and see what you 'feel' you need.

Most of all...have fun! So great to have your own room...I share mine with the boys and computer/xbox...but I do love them being in there with me too.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to bcblondie

• bcblondie Said:
Thank you for the replies already! So quick!

Yes I've been ALL over pinterest trying to figure out what I want!
In the old house I had a computer desk but that broke, and then 3, unmatching, not well sliding drawer dressers. So I would like to do away with those.

Also, in the old house the room could not be closed off from my cats or children. Now I can. So that changes how I can have things laid out. I can keep my ribbon out and hanging now if i want! Instead of smashed in a drawer!

I LOOOVE the ikea expedit systems. We just got an ikea here like 2 months ago. (winnipeg)

Here is a quick diagram of my room.

Help me plan my new room By Bcblondie

After seeing your room, this is my suggestion... Why don't you put a desk under the window from wall to wall(Ikea also sells desks in sections so you could get one to fit)...then you could put an island in the middle of the room. Depending on how big your window is, you could fit shelves on either side of the window, above the desk.
Also, the Expedit 4 square shelves are less than 3 ft. wide so you could fit a couple of those in between your wall sections (maybe they are there to build in a closet??).....
None of the Ikea stuff is too, too expensive and you could always start with your desk and build from there.
Have Fun!

Alison

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to bcblondie

Congrats on your new room.

I just moved & my new room here is 10x10. I have used the cubes on one wall. I have a new computer desk on the other. I have a long counter that I want to replace with an expedit. I have another atack of cubes on another wall. I hope to have room to have a worktable but I am waiting to see where it fits.
my suggestions are the same as everyone else..look at the fabulous rooms here in the gallery. Also on PInterest. have fun & enjoy

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to anda11

Thank you for the suggestions! Great advice.One really long desk is a great idea. I'll check ikea online for that. And I think shelves would fit on either side.

*goes off to search some more*

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to bcblondie

Do you have particular storage needs? Like, for instance, do you have lots of punches, paper, ribbon, or any other item that screams for a special method of storage? Mounted dowels or towel bars would work for ribbons AND punches. Do you need a table for an electronic device or computer/printer? I have found lots of organizational advice on a fb page called (if I remember correctly) 2011 Organizational Challenge.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to Juansmom

That's what I need to do, i think. Lay everything out so i can figure out what methods would store which items best. In the old house I used all dressers becuase that's all I had. I made do. I think now I can figure out something to work better.

Jaci67
Jaci67 
Resident
Jaci67
In response to bcblondie

I just remodeled my scraproom and there is one thing I wish I had been able to do differently but due to the layout and other things that I wanted I couldn't do it. I would suggest a workspace that spans two walls connected at the corner that way you have two table workspaces and all you have to do it turn your chair. Good luck with your room.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Jaci67

Definitely go with the shelves between the 3" walls - you can do expedit if they fit, or bookshelves with movable height shelves (adjust height to the boxes or paper storage or what else you need), or closet doors with shelves behind them if you like to hide stuff away. for the table, I would probably do two separate - one for computer/cricut/printer (clean desk), and one work table (dirty/messy desk).
I also like the island idea - in my previous scrappy half-room, I had a short side of the desk flush to the wall, with two long sides and one short open for access and moving around - it was a half island and worked absolutely great!
If you look through idea gallery, you'll see islands mounted on Alex drawers from Ikea - those are absolutely awesome, shallow and long and wide (or narrow, depending) - would be perfect for punches and inks and stamps and cartridges and all the small stuff.
Good luck and don't forget to take pictures and share!

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to OlesyaK.

Update!! I finally figured out what I wanted to do.

I noticed Ikea had 60 inch table tops for THIRTY BUCKS! so cheap! And two of those fits across the length under my window PERFECTLY.

So then I bought 3 of the alex units, You know those drawer units for desks? So I can have one at each end and one in the middle. And I got 4 legs to support the back,

and finally I had to get one of those expedit cube storage units. Of course! So I'll have one big wall of desks and one cube storage, and I can always expand as need be.

I'm going to want some sort of narrow floating shelves or something eventually. But for now I'm STOKED with what I've got. Once it's set up I'll take a pic. I cant wait to get scrapping again!!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bcblondie

Can't wait to see it!

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to olleharr

Here's a diagram!

New furniture I bought! By Bcblondie

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to bcblondie

Boxes! Lol! Can you tell I'm excited?
This is in our unfinished rec room atm.

Furniture! By Bcblondie

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to bcblondie

Excited for you. Have fun putting it all together.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to SherylEb

Congratulations on finding the desks!
I'm sure you'll have lots of fun on all the space now!
If you are looking for shelves....have a look at the Ikea Linjal, glass floating shelves.
They don't detract from a window view or decorating as they are glass. I bought 2 for each side of the window wall in my scrap space. I put one on top of the other on each side....
lots of storage!

Alison

Diva
In response to kiyawinn

Can't wait to see the room. Looks like you rplan is so perfect for the room! Good luck!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to bayamonesa1

wow! I like the things from ikea but they are just too expensive $$ for me right now. We are moving into a 1 bed.1 bath YIKES so idk if I should share the bedroom with my scrapstuff and bed my bf and i share or take over he rarley used dining room??
congrats on a new room

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics