Username Post: Storing Paper        (Topic#1584315)
flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

I'm just curious how others store or have their paper sorted. I bought a 10-drawer unit that I thought would be perfect but the drawers aren't big enough to hold 12 x 12 papers. So, I ended up using it for embellishments (each drawer holds a different theme: Christmas, Fall, Black & White, etc) I love organization & would love to know how other scrappers have their stuff sorted, etc. Thanks!

scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac
In response to flwrgrl

I like these cropper hopper paper holders- Cropper Hopper - Paper Holder

Also those large plastic envelopes are good, too.

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to scrappinmac

I don't make 12x12 LO's. I store my paper in clear plastic page protectors in a 3 ring binder. I do buy 12x12 papers, but I always cut them down to 8.5x11, and this gives me an extra border that is 12 inches long and 1 inch wide. And I end up with a paper "scrap" that is 3.5x11. All of these things have their own part of the binder. Hopefully soon I'll get around to photographing it.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 01-20-13 05:27 AM
In response to flhomeschoolmom

I use the Making Memories Filer cubes. I have one for cardstock and one for pattern paper.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to KimKV

I have all my solid cardstock sorted by colors and then stored in the cropper hoppers with the tabbed dividers. I also sorted all my pattered paper in a similar manner. I didn't do the whole theme or maker thing, I don't really have enough room for that. Plus, I just find it easier to run through the papers when I'm looking for a specific color.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

I'd love to see it when you do

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to flwrgrl

I'm still putting that binder together, lol. The book itself is a 12x12 sized photo album that a SIL bought me at a yardsale. The pages inside it are divided, and my full paper sheets wouldn't fit inside. So I use the 12x12 divided sheets to hold things that are no larger than 4x6. So, works well for scraps, tags, frames, stencils, etc. My borders are in an 8.5x11 sheet protector, as are my full sheets, and anything else that is over 4x6 size. I'm currently sorting paper scraps, stencils, etc. to put in the 12x12 "organizer" sheets as I call them. I suppose I could photograph what I've already got done and give people an idea of what I did. I'll probably do that after I get my chili cooking this evening.

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw

I used the wire cubes from Target...each box will make two cubes with the extra shelves attached to every wire with zip ties...twelve shelves to each cube, stacked two cubes high. Then I did one with the shelves every three inches for paper packs, new scrapbooks, etc. With the two cubes up, two across they are nice and stable. I even have one three cubes high and that is working too.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bigredssw

I use the cropper hopper paper holder that a few people linked above, and they sit inside my craft armoire.

Just a tidbit of advice:
There are few storage items that will accommodate 12x12 paper. If ordering online, read descriptions and dimensions carefully.
Carry a small tape measure with you when shopping.

a_hodgins
Resident
a_hodgins
In response to Bxr-Linda

First off I think it depends on how big your paper collection is. haha
I think of mine to be small compared to others I have seen haha

I store my paper by color.
I also store some my theme like Christmas
Each color or theme has its own container
The containers I got at Micheals
This is working for me and I find it helps keep my papers clean.

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to flwrgrl

I use Creative Memories Daisy mate file folders for 12 x 12. They are very affordble for what you get. Go onine and take a look. Also...they are portable!!

MoonLitSmile
Veteran
MoonLitSmile
In response to bonprof

I like to use the Iris 12x12 plastic cases...I have the matching stands too that hold six case...five on total, that's a lot of paper!

KDQ
KDQ 
Guru
KDQ
  • KDQ on 03-15-13 01:31 PM
In response to MoonLitSmile

You can buy speciatly cases for your paper.

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to KDQ

I also keep my paper in the Cropper Hopper paper holders. (and on the floor because I've already got like 10 of the paper holders and there's no more room on my table for more but I know that's not very helpful! I decided I'd be better off using up my stash of paper than buying more holders that I don't have room for anyway)

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to animemama

For patterned paper, I use two stacks of clear plastic trays on a rolling base. Easy to move around the room.

Solid cardstock I keep in a CIS P3.

aliknoll
New Kid On the Block
aliknoll
In response to flwrgrl

I used to be all obsessive about having my paper in the Cropper Hoppers and other "official" scrapbook storage containers. I even had my husband build me a fancy paper storage "shelf."

However, it was still a chore to dig through and find what I needed. Now I use legal sized hanging file folders and keep them in a hanging file bin (no cover, obviously). Every folder holds a different color and because they stick up and out of the folder, it is SO easy to find what I need.

I really recommend this if you can store your paper in a free-standing bin. I use three of them - one has plain colored paper, another has decorative paper, and the third is a letter-sized bin/folders for "scraps" (I save anything that might be usable in the future). Cheap, easy, and a HUGE time-saver.

laceyKat
Angel
laceyKat
In response to aliknoll

• aliknoll Said:
I used to be all obsessive about having my paper in the Cropper Hoppers and other "official" scrapbook storage containers. I even had my husband build me a fancy paper storage "shelf."

However, it was still a chore to dig through and find what I needed. Now I use legal sized hanging file folders and keep them in a hanging file bin (no cover, obviously). Every folder holds a different color and because they stick up and out of the folder, it is SO easy to find what I need.

I really recommend this if you can store your paper in a free-standing bin. I use three of them - one has plain colored paper, another has decorative paper, and the third is a letter-sized bin/folders for "scraps" (I save anything that might be usable in the future). Cheap, easy, and a HUGE time-saver.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!!!!!!! TFS!!

dlanvinson
Resident
dlanvinson
In response to laceyKat

I have changed my paper storage methods around a few times. I live with it for awhile but still get frustrated and then try something else.

I am back to storing it upright in a rolling cart (mega bin, I think? got it at goodwill - looks like a square rolling laundry basket) with dividers.

I cannot seem to organize it in a way that makes it easy to find what I need. Maybe this will work better than the first time I tried it.

What is it about paper that makes it so hard to organize it and find what you need?

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to dlanvinson

I used to use the Cropper Hopper storage files already linked, but I did not care for them at all. I now have paper display cabinets that I bought from a LSS when it was going out of business.... I absolutely love them! If you have a chance to buy them (and have the room for them) I'd recommend it.

My friend has her paper in Sterilite boxes without the lids; I wish I could remember what size they are, but 12x12 paper fits perfectly in them. I'd guess that they're about 13" wide by 13" tall and maybe 10" deep. She made dividers and stores all of her paper vertically. It's really easy for her to flip through and if she comes over to my house to scrap, they're also easy to bring with her.

michellesmakingmemories
Tenant
michellesmakingmemories
In response to *jesse*

I use mesh storage boxes from Staples (item no. 506155). It's very convenient to pull out a bin and flip through the papers.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to michellesmakingmemories

I use the translucent Iris tubs for my papers and label each with my Dymo labeler. Glitter cardstock, solids, patterned paper, etc. I even have one I call Ugly paper.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I also use the Iris paper containers. I have a very small space in our very small living room and I have to be very creative about my storage.

lakauai
Resident
lakauai
In response to dorichatelain

I have stored my paper in old mailing boxes from the USPS for years. I cut the front of the box so that I resembles the Cropper Hopper ones and they work great!
I just decided this week to make them more pretty so I added some scrapbook paper to the fronts of the boxes and some labels.

You can see more details if you want at my blog .

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to lakauai

I store mine vertically in a file basket. One for cardstock and one for papers. I don't separate my paper by color though. I tried that and it didn't seem to work for me. Instead I separate them by pattern ie; "small pattern" "Medium pattern" "Large pattern". Then each pattern section is sorted by color. For some reason it seem to work for me.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to olleharr

Lakauai, I love what you did with the USPS boxes. I wish I would have thought of that! Here's a photo of my storage.

Paper storage
By Olleharr

Heck25
Heck25 
Tenant
Heck25

I have several organization methods, since I have zillions of pages of paper...

For plain, mostly one color patterns I have 3 Sterilite 3-drawer sets; first holds red/orange/yellow, second blue/green/purple, and third brown/black/whites.

For themes, I have Iris boxes by theme and subsets of 12 x 12 folders inside. For example, I have a box of "holidays" and inside is a folder for Christmas, a folder for Easter, etc.

I store my stacks in cubes. You can buy at ShopKo or Michaels, or Ikea... most places that sell organization shelves... just make sure the inside of the cube is at least 12 x 12 inches!

Then the things I'm currently working on I store in Art Bin boxes, because they latch shut and have a handle, so they're easy to carry to crops.

One last tip... one really easy way to sort & store papers that is inexpensive is 2 gallon zip lock baggies. I can find them in my dollar store 5 to a box (what else can you find for less than a quarter each?). They are great for sorting, to carry to a crop, to keep papers from getting dusty, etc.... You can label as needed and they can still stack on a shelf or fit inside a fancy scrap box.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to flwrgrl

this is how I store my paper [image]http://pinterest.com/pin/46809295499024766 0/[/image]

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to lakauai

These look awesome! LOVE the coorinating paper you used. I LOVE to cover inexpensive or free storage boxes etc. Why not? You're repurposing the box, & the only cost is the paper you cover it with 7 the glue! And you aren't running all over town trying to find coordinating colors. Great idea!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

I have a cart with drawers that I got at Michaels. Back before I sold most of my stuff, I had the white JetMax Cubes from Michaels and kept them in there.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

I want to buy a display dynamics listed above when I get the funds!!!!!!
It looks perfect for holding my pps

bonprof
Idol
bonprof
In response to mindygail

I recently bought a iris stand at Target for $54. It is a wonderful chest of drawers made up of iris cases that you can pull out and take to s crop or whatever. It is wonderful and i plan to get more when i move to a bigger place.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to bonprof

I also have the display dynamics on my wishlist!

KAR49
KAR49 
Tenant
KAR49
  • KAR49 on 08-24-13 07:18 AM

I am a fan of vertical storage, since I think it keeps the corners nice and flat. I just bought some new lipless stacks and five fit in one cube of my Expedit shelving from Ikea! Works great and I have 40 shelves with cardstock............FinALLY I'm beginning to feel organized.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to KAR49

Hoping to get an Expedit once we move!

denayc
denayc 
Guru
denayc
In response to mrsrogers52513

I have very limited space (just a corner of the living room) so most of my scrap supplies are stored in a chest of drawers and a "pie safe" cabinet. My paper stacks are stored in the drawers by theme: vintage, spring, fall, Christmas, general, etc. Loose papers are stored in plastic file envelops I got at Michaels by theme. It makes it so easy to find what I need.

Stamps, punches, embellies, inks, etc are stored in the other drawers or shelves in the cabinet. It works for the space, but I long for the day when I can have a full room for my scrap supplies!

You can see the drawers and cabinet in the top picture of this layout.

Cures for a Bad day By Denayc

Stephanie47
Tenant
Stephanie47

The organizer you have pictured from Michael's is quite flimsy. I too store my embellishments in there.
I repurposed an old tallboy dresser to store my papers and other supplies. It sits perpendicular to my desk and is quite handy!

Chandlercr
New Kid On the Block
Chandlercr
In response to lakauai

• Quote:
I just decided this week to make them more pretty so I added some scrapbook paper to the fronts of the boxes and some labels.

That's a good idea, just to cover the fronts. I use the mailing boxes too but have covered the whole box, and I stack my like yours so I don't need to cover the whole box. LOL Sometimes I over think things.

Edited by Chandlercr on 10-03-13 04:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lcalderone
Tenant
lcalderone
In response to Chandlercr

I use the display dynamics, love, love, love them. I purchased the 12 x 12 non-lipped and the 8.5 x 11 lipped trays. I do not like the lipped trays, because it's harder to get your paper out.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to lcalderone

I ran into the same issue where the 'lipped' was concerned. My paper was getting mangled, plus I couldn't see what was underneath the top sheet.

Eager to Scrap
Veteran
Eager to Scrap
In response to lcalderone

Where do you get this display dynamics?

Eager to Scrap
Veteran
Eager to Scrap
In response to Kim222

Saw a picture of the display dynamics. Has anyone found a reasonable place to purchase these?

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics