Username Post: Getting started-- Albums        (Topic#1584335)
New Kid On the Block

Hi everyone! My name is Amy and I am new to scrapbooking and am soon to be starting my first album. I've read a tone of things in books and online articles about different styles of albums and have read some personal recommends from people online, being so new however I don't want to go out and purchase an album only to find out that it just isn't "me"... that being said are there any album styles out there that are easier to begin with? I've heard that post bound and three ring are very popular styles to use, but I know there are also lots of others out there. Are top-loading, or side-loading pages better? Does it matter?... I haven't had the chance to find my style yet so I am not sure what style album I am most comfortable with. What are some styles that you all started out with or would recommend? Do any of you strictly use one style of album for every project? Do any of you use many different styles of albums? Any advice or tips on this subject would be greatly apreciated as it feels a bit overwhelming looking at all of the choices. Thank you.

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to aldraya4ever

I prefer top loading pages to side loading pages, but that's a personal preferance I think. Both postbound and 3 ring albums are nice, again it's a personal preferance. I like the 3 ring myself because then I can continue adding pages to my album. But some postbound albums have the same possibility, their little screw are hidden under a flap in the front/back of the book. You can unscrew these kinds and add some more page protectors for pages.

Now, as for the size of albums. 12x12 is the largest size, 8.5x11 is printer paper size, 8x8 is about journal size (pretty close), and 6x6 is about the size of a brag book or purse sized photo album. Now, with all of that being said, what size should you use? Again, that's a personal preferance. Just all of the smaller sizes can be put into a 12x12 if you don't make layouts on the backs of your papers. So, I'd recommend that you try out the diffrent sizes and see what size suits you the best. To try out the diffrent sizes, you do not have to buy an album for each size. Also, 12x12 papers can be cut down to all of the smaller sizes, and even office supply papers (many of which are acid free and archive safe) can be cut down to make 8x8, and 6x6. Many people use their scraps from other layouts to make the 8x8 and 6x6 sizes.

Now, for me I prefer 8.5x11, portrait oriented (not landscape). I don't buy traditional 3 ring albums, I buy 3 ring binders from the school supply section. I also get my page protectors from the school and office supply section. Why? Well, because ANYTHING that is acid free and archive safe can safely be used in scrapbooking.

So, if I was you, I'd just focus on the basics of what you need which are: album of any kind you desire, cardstock, paper, adhesive, scissors, photos, and a writing utensil. Everything after that is optional. I use a lot of found objects in my LO's, but that's me.

suezhunt
Pro
suezhunt

I have used many different albums over the years and 3 ring are my favorite. I love these from We R Memory Keepers.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to suezhunt

I definitely prefer 12x12 ring bound albums for two reasons.

1. I can add lots and lots of pages, and they are easy to move around if I want. Post bounds are a bit more fiddly with the screws.

2. I can put any size up to 12x12 into it. I have 6x6, 6x12, 8.5x11 in both orientations, 8x8 and 12x12 all in the same album. It's a more eclectic look, but that's what I like.

I would wait to buy an album for now until you've made a few pages, and figure out what works for you. You may find the size of a 12x12 too much, or an 8.5x11 to be too small. Play first, and then figure out how you're going to store what you make.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Hdubarry

Thank you all. this helps so much, I will have to fiddle around with some things

Lain Ehmann
Tenant
Lain Ehmann

If you're scrapping 8.5x11, you may just want to purchase a binder and some page protectors from Staples or Target. Target makes some gorgeous binders!

bonprof
Diva
bonprof

Hi!! I've been scrapbooking since 2001. Save your self a lot of time and headaches and find a Creative Memories consultant. They are the most helpful people on the planet. I've met the most amazing women through my consultant. Best of luck to you.
Bonprof

SHeaRI
SHeaRI 
Resident
SHeaRI
In response to bonprof

I am an 8.5x11, top loading, 3 ring album girl. I used to scrap 12x12 before I had children but switched to the smaller size for 2 reasons. 1. I do most of my titles and journalling on the computer and I had finally become frustrated with having to cut my 12x12 to run through and then having to piece things back together. 2. The volume of pictures I take is ridiculous and I decided that I had to focus on the pictures I loved and highlighting them.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to SHeaRI

Here's my two cents:

I personally have several albums that are 12x12 post bound, top loading.

I just prefer top loading, no other reason except that I've used these types of pages since the beginning.

I prefer a 12x12 because I don't like to cut my 4x6 photos that much, and it gives me more freedom to do what I want. I have done an 8 1/2 x 11 and even a 6x6 and I did not like the 8 1/2 x 11. The 6x6 I made specifically for an old boyfriend of just photos of us and for that purpose it worked out well but I wouldn't do it for any major scrapbooking because I think it was too small for journaling or embellishments.

Now, as for post bound versus 3-ring: I have 4 albums that are post bound and 1 that is 3-ring, and I bought that one by mistake in Disneyworld. The only reason I'm not a fan of 3-ring binders is because they remind me too much of when I was in school and I'm left-handed. The upside to them is that I can add more pages from other trips easily, and I can separate them with tabs. I would never do this with my other albums, but because it's somewhere I have been multiple times I think this feature could come in handy.

Conclusions: Do whatever makes you feel comfortable!

-Stephanie

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics