Username Post: Any FlyBabies??        (Topic#1584357)
flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom

Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone here on the forums uses FlyLady. I became a flybaby several years ago. However, when I look around now I'm disappointed in myself. I've obviously fallen off of the Fly wagon.

I struggle with depression, and am medicated for it. I also suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I'm not using either of these as an excuse. But the depression meds do not help my fatigue issues any.

I'm someone who can get my house organized, but then have trouble keeping it that way. It's daily things that just seem to add up and then I find myself where I'm at now, overwhelmed!

I'm a full time wife and mother, I'm also a full time homeschooling parent which means that my children are always with me. My boys are 13 and 12 now, and I have to give them credit for the fact that they seem to keep their room less cluttered than I keep mine. My house is tiny...very tiny. It only has 4 rooms total. My kitchen and living room are an open and combined space. My front door is in my kitchen! My bathroom is dinky, I think there's only 4 steps from the door and you're standing inside the tub! The bedrooms are small too. My boys share a room, and of course my DH and I share a room. Both bedrooms serve as "offices" or "classroom". My bedroom has a large desk, dresser, book shelf, and queen size bed. The boys room has 2 small computer desks, two computers, a set of bunk beds, a bookshelf, a DVD/Video game shelf, small entertainment center (TV, DVD player, Wii, Xbox 360, and a Nintendo 64).

My husband has a total of 3 guitars, one lives in our living room and the other two in our bedroom. I seem to collect scrapbooking stuff, and quilting stuff.

I recently decided that I wanted to declutter my closet. That meant dealing with my scrapbooking stash, quilting stash, and umm...clothing stash that lives behind the closet door. I have not finished this project because I have gotten side tracked. I'm notorious for getting side tracked...what can I say, I like traveling down rabbit trails and following whatever I'm in the mood for at the moment. Now my room looks like a tornado hit it. This is NOT good, really not good. Everything should have a place, and be IN its place...but it's not. About 1/2 of what was inside my closet is now inside my bedroom, and the remaining 1/2 of the closet has yet to be sorted. I know I have way too many clothes, mostly dress clothes and blouses. But I like them, even if I haven't ever worn most of them.

I need some motivation for getting this CHAOS ordered. Any advice?? I don't want to throw away my scrappy stuff or my quilty stuff.

Edited by flhomeschoolmom on 01-21-13 11:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PaulaB102
Tenant
PaulaB102
In response to flhomeschoolmom

HI,
I've flutterred on and off the wagon for quite a few years myself.
May I suggest a book called "organizing from the inside out" by Julie Morgenstern. My library has it so maybe yours will. She helps you look at where your need/desire to keep stuff is coming from.
Is there storage space in your attic? I know this would not be easily accessible, but perhaps for seasonal items it might be an option to consider, even if it's only 2 boxes, that might make a difference.
Of course everything looks worse when looked from depression's influence. Do whatever you need to in order to keep that at bay. I've found that I don't usually notice a difference when I'm on meds or herbs, but those around me do.
Keep FLYing :-)

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to PaulaB102

First, telling everybody I do not claim to be, nor am I an organized person! But I get totes that are clear, I think they are about 30 gallon. I store much of my scrap stuff in some and my sewing and fabrics in some. I can see what is in there easily and that helps me be a little organized. The containers stack well and can make a good work area too. I have gotten them at different stores like Fred Meyer, Target, Walmart, but have seen them at many different types of stores too. They cost me around $4 each when they are on sale, usually at back to school time or Christmas time. I like them because I can sort my various types of fabrics and see what is in there when I am in search of a special one. Just be careful, as some of the lesser quality ones (Sterlite brand I think) can split if you stack heavier stuff on top, I learned the hard way on that one. The Rubbermaid ones are tougher, but more expensive and I don't remember what the other brand I have is. I use the cheaper plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store, which fit nicely inside the bigger containers, but those hold my smaller scrappy stuff or sewing supplies and I love to be looking in those containers because I find things quickly, but can keep them out of the way. I would not store these outside tho as they are not moisture proof, so probably not bug proof either...just saying as I have a cootie allergy

I hope you can get things together and organized as you need it, I can relate to some of what you said as I have too much craft stuff... according to the man of the house anyway. I am happy with what I have and love to use it to make beautiful things

Just a thought too about Hubby's guitars, maybe those could be hung on the wall, a display so to speak. But they would be safe from harm and available when he needs them still. You never know maybe some day one of your boys will be a guitar player too!

I don't know what a FlyBaby is. Long as it's not a bug, I would like to know if you want to share that with me

PaulaB102
Tenant
PaulaB102
In response to catzscrapper

Just so you know... FlyLady is a website that gives encouragement and advice to any interested SHE's (Sidetracked Home Executives). Her many followers call themselves FlyBabies. She (and her team) suggest routines, counsel baby-steps, and offer encouragements.

If you go looking, she is .net, not .com

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to PaulaB102

I know. I've visited her website many times, and get emails from her too. My issue is just that I have trouble keeping up with the "decluttering", "daily routines", etc.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper

OK Thanks for the info! I will check it out

PaulaB102
Tenant
PaulaB102

I've gotten to the point where I take from her site what works for me and ignore the rest. I chose out of her emails when I realized I was spending more time looking at them/deleting them than I was actually using her suggestions.

Now, I know where she is, I can go there for ideas, etc.

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to PaulaB102

I think that's what I'm going to have to do. I know I just recently deleted hundreds of her emails that I hadn't even opened.

And I know that I'm definately a SHE, I'm far too easily distracted. But, at the same time, I have many things on my agenda on a daily basis. One thing is teaching. My boys are homeschooled, so that takes up a good part of most days. And when I'm not teaching, theres still the everyday things of cooking, washing dises, doing laundry, buying groceries, and looking in on my DH's elderly grandma who lives next door to us. Sometimes I think I'm just stretched a bit thin, and there is always something I need to do, and there are the things I want to do. Often what I have to do conflicts with what I want to do, like scrapbook. There are times that it seems I have little or no time to do things just for me.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

hello all, I love flylady my kids and i tried out the house fairy which was cute but did not last long! It works she is great i have troubl being consistent so i quit but i plan i trying her again in the spring (CLEANING TIME)
BYE,
Mindygail

Diva
In response to mindygail

Wow! You have a lot in your plate. WIsh you the best of luck in getting back on track. I would like to suggest make a plan of using 20 minutes for each project to be work on and then move to the next project. Use a timer to keep you on task and on the time set for it. Little by little you may feel that you are making progress.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics