Username Post: Printing my own digital scrapbook page        (Topic#1584387)
silentwriter
Resident
silentwriter

I would like to know where I can have MY OWN scrapbook page printed. I do not want to use someone else's template!

I cannot use "Silverlight" because it doesn't work properly with a Mac!!

I am at my wits end and would like to print one page so that I can see how it comes out.

Then I would like to put the printed 12x12 page into a physical scrapbook.

Thanks for anyone's help!!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to silentwriter

If you want an online service, upload to Persnickety Prints. They do 12x12's and the quality can't be beat!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-22-13 10:12 PM
In response to flintridgescrapper

Lots of companies do 12x12 prints. I print my digi pages at Costco because they do good work, and I print very few at a time so the volume deals other places offer don't usually work for me.

I use Photoshop Elements to create all my pages and just upload a high res file for printing.

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories
In response to stick

I upload my digi pages to Scrapbook Flair, and have them printed. The cost ranges from 89 cents to $1.20 per page, depending upon the type of print (mat, glossy, with border, etc.).

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to lcmemories

Do you mean making a digital page? If so, I can recommend PhotoShop Elements for Mac (you can buy older versions quite cheaply and they still work), and you can get free kits everywhere. When I say "kits" I mean the "papers" and elements to go on a page. You have to layer them and add shadows and effects to make it your own.

If you mean scanning your paper LOs to be printed, you'd need to find somewhere with a 12x12 scanner. They aren't common in my part of the world!

And like previous posters have said, I've read glowing reviews of Persnickety Prints to get them printed.

I just ordered some from a UK company and they all came out beautifully except for one. I obviously used photos which were too low resolution, and while the elements printed out fine, the photos were blurry. Shame. It's a lesson learned though - make sure you view your digi pages as big as the 12x12 would be before you send them to print.

Oh and I just researched Silverlight and apparently there is a Mac version. I'm not sure what it does though.

silentwriter
Resident
silentwriter
In response to flintridgescrapper

I had joined Persnickety but I wasn't sure if they would be able to print my 12x12 exactly the way I had made it....so that the exact colors would show etc. But maybe I will give them a try as I've heard from other people that they are a good place to start. Thanks so much for getting back to me.

silentwriter
Resident
silentwriter
In response to RedSquirrel

Thanks for your info......but I don't want to get involved with Photoshop because even though I am very computer savy, I have never been able to work with that program! Lol...!

I am going to try Persnickety again and see what they can do for me. As for silverlight, I've been googling questions on it as well, but so far, haven't come up with anything useful! I'd better get in gear though as our new Habitat house starts the end of February!

Thanks again for replying to me; it mean's a whole lot to me!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to silentwriter

• silentwriter Said:
I had joined Persnickety but I wasn't sure if they would be able to print my 12x12 exactly the way I had made it....so that the exact colors would show etc. But maybe I will give them a try as I've heard from other people that they are a good place to start. Thanks so much for getting back to me.

I have to give you the "heads up" that getting the EXACT colors you are expediting when printing is a real challenge. The best you can hope for is a close match. There are too many variables to get (or expect) an EXACT match.

What I have found is the majority of my pages print out great (some even better than I expect). But there always are a few that are a little too dark, a little too light, or have more contrast than I expect. I usually can live with the pages that print “a little washed out” but the ones that are too dark I adjust my files and have them reprinted.

I think it is very smart to get printouts to review before making a final commitment (say getting a bound book printed). I did the exact same thing recently and will be going back to my files to make a few minor adjustments based on the printouts.

The biggest adjustment, that I just hate having to make, is moving things inward from the edges (approx ¼”). It’s a fact of life that inevitably your pages will get cropped ever so slightly when printed. Life is so much easier if you just accept this and move important things (like lettering) away from the edges.

The key for me was to be flexible and always use the same printer. I learned a long time again that my printouts tended to be on the dark side so I am alert to that when creating pages. I will brighten darker photos a little, etc.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics