Username Post: Embellishments for Die Cuts with a View Stacks        (Topic#1584443)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

While going through my stash last night, I realize that I have way too many DCWV stacks but haven't used much of them at all. They are all very pretty, which is why I bought them in the first place. So I'm guessing the reason I shy away from using them is because I have no embellishments to match. Why does it seem that DCWV embellies are either non-existent or very hard to find?

For those who use DCWV stacks, how do you embellish your layouts? I'm a "lazy" (or not very creative, however you want to look at it) scrapper and prefer to have matching embellies so I don't have to think too hard, iykwim. Maybe I should suggest to DCWV to sell matching embellies? Or maybe I should just resist the urge to buy any of their stacks???

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to Mama2Thomas

Me too! I haven't been able to resist the stacks either, but also haven't used them as much as I'd like because of the lack of matching/coordinating embellishments. I didn't realize until I saw your post-I thought it was just me! I'd love a batch of embellishments for the Once Upon A Time papers-how nice would that be!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to gin1902

sometimes i let the paper be its own embellishment

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty
In response to cescrapper

Thats why I stopped buying their paper stacks.. They actually do have embellishments but I don't know where to find them and if you do they are nine bucks for a pack of 52 chipboard letters. But to use the papers I have bought I fussy cut the images in the pages out. That is a good thing about them they seem to have a lot of cut-able pages to help embellish. HTH

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 01-24-13 05:09 PM
In response to cescrapper

I got some chipboard pieces and alphas for the immortal stack, and some alphas for the once upon a time stack, but I had stumbled across them online somewhere. I rarely see them in stores. I too would love to see more of them.

However, I usually find that since their papers tend to be "busy" that I usually don't put too much else on them.

I can usually find something to go with whatever I'm doing. I always buy the coordinating cardstock stacks if they have them so I don't have to match up papers. Sometimes I make embellies out of the papers themselves but I found that a lot of times I use silver or black metal accents that match anything, and flowers/ribbons to match. But I tend to keep it simple because I don't want to take too much attention away from the beautiful paper.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Vae

I have a lot of DCWV love it. Often the paper speaks for itself.

Grand Ole Opry-1955 By CrimsonMama

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to CrimsonMama

I use buttons, ribbons, chipboard, etc. I pretty much like to layer so I keep it pretty simple when I use papers from these stacks.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to prittb

I layer with the papers, use buttons, ribbon, lace, tags, doodle, cover chipboard with the paper, etc. I love DCWV because I get enough paper in each stack to create layouts and make my own embellishments or layers to match.

danigirl786
Veteran
danigirl786

Awesome layout crimsonmama! And it really is true that the paper does most of the work sometimes! I found that my style is changing and I want embellies created specifically for a paper line. It's so annoying to try to find just the right color of embellishment, the perfect whatever it is I want at that moment to match the paper. I found I like my layouts better that way. I don't have the patience to make my own embellies either, so I've stopped buying their stacks as much as I used to. Would start getting them again if they made nice embellies that could be found in the same stores that sell the stacks...

Edited by danigirl786 on 01-24-13 10:11 PM. Reason for edit: because my brain is slow tonight!

Diva
In response to danigirl786

I will agree..the paper sometimes is so pretty that it is the embellishment as well. I also agree that it will be nice if they will sell coordinating die cuts to make the work easier on the scrapper.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to bayamonesa1

they do have embellies though! I have two boxes of chipboard pieces from them - awesome stuff! but yes, I know what you mean..

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 01-25-13 12:12 PM
In response to OlesyaK.

I've also got some die cuts for the Far East stack that I picked up at Michael's, but I think it was a fluke that they had them.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Mama2Thomas

You can colour (glitter, embossing etc.) your own title using the American Crafts Thickers DIY stickers.
You can punch butterflies, buttons out of the matching papers themselves or make flowers or pinwheels out of the papers....
You can heat emboss or glitter chipboard in matching colours (Jenni Bowlin, Pink Paislee, Bazzill, Leaky Shed and Maya Road all make great chipboard shapes)
You can cut banner or tags out of the papers....

I don't know, I guess I just see lots of possiblities!

Alison

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to kiyawinn

Well now I'm all inspired to get out my DCWV stacks and all my plain/neutral embellishments!!!

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d

Love your LO!!!(:

I tend veer away from these paper pads because I tend to not use them. Maybe it's the lack of embellishments....

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to res19s2d

I dont buy them anymore. I gave a bunch away, they were just collecting dust.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to andrea m

There are some FAST & EASY ways to make your own embellishments from the paper stack paper.
My "go to" home made embellishments are punches & this fantastic plastic stuff that add a high gloss 3-d layer. This accent stuff turns any punch into an "embellishment"! Then add a little foam dot and viola! Instant embellishment that took less then 3 mins to make and matches perfectly. (I have to warn you, once you buy the button punch you will be making matching buttons for everything.)
For more bling, add a little Stickles.
I made these embellishments from tissue box cardboard.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics