Username Post: Do you need to use archival mist on magazine clippings?        (Topic#1584445)
HappyCat
Tenant
HappyCat

I know you have to use it on newspaper clippings, but I wasn't sure about magazine clippings. I had an idea to do a title in letters cut out from magazines, like a ransom note.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-24-13 08:08 PM
In response to HappyCat

I definitely would, magazines aren't meant to last very long. Or you could make your own 'ransom letters' using a variety of different fonts and finishes. This Tim Holtz apha set gives a sort of ransom note look, but a little more unified.

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to stick

I would use the archive mist on magazine clippings. But there is another technique you can use. You can turn the magazine clippings into stickers using packaging tape. Adhere the clippings to the sticky side of packaging tape. Press it down on something that it will not form a strong bond to, such as sticker backing paper, embossing folders, etc. Make sure that the picture (letter in your case) adheres to the packaging tape. Now soak it in water for several minutes. Using your finger, rub off the paper. The image should still be on the tape. Sit it aside and let it dry and use it as a sticker. The downside to this is that as far as I know, it's probably not acid free, so I wouldn't attach it to pictures.

Printer ink used on printer paper is acid free. You could scan what you want to use and then print it. Or do what stick recommended. Or use a mixture of diffrent scrapbooking alphas. Sort of like using bits and pieces of left over letter packs.

Diva
In response to flhomeschoolmom

Great idea...and easy to do. Thanks for sharing.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to bayamonesa1

What I have done for newspaper, is to scan the image to my computer. Then print it out on acid free paper, and distress it, ink it like I want. That way I have the original in my ancestry file and I don't have to worry about the LO being safe. Does that make sense?

Auto Row Person of the Week 1952 By CrimsonMama

Grand Ole Opry-1955 By CrimsonMama

Neither of these are the original clipping.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

This thread is full of great ideas!

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to Henri Jean

I work in the industrial side of news print --in other words in the paper mills.

Please use the archival mist or some method of preservation. All paper (not cardboard) is made with a bleaching process otherwise the paper would be brown. To bleach pulp (tree fibers) one of the components is acid another is peroxide and a third is starch (whether it's potatoe starch or another form). For magazine paper, one final process is a coating so that's why they feel slick and can take color photos and news print or book paper won't.

Hope that helps a bit.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Abby0317

Thanks Terry - that does answer a lot.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to CrimsonMama

Great idea

Artfulscrapbooking
Veteran
Artfulscrapbooking
In response to Sunnydi

Where do you purchase Archival Mist anymore, I can never find it???

my blog: http://artfulscrapbooking .wordpress.com/

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Artfulscrapbooking

A Krylon product called "Make-It-Acid-Free" does the same thing.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to aquabunny

I think the packing tape sticker would be WORSE (archivally -- is that a word?) than using the original magazine.

Have you ever seen what happens to Scotch tape over several decades?

Some other good ideas mentioned.

Of course, it all depends on how concerned you are with longevity. If you don't really care that your page crumbles and discolors, use whatever you want.

My opinion is the mist is extremely expensive and hasn't been around long enough to test its effectiveness.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

I think archival mist and Make It Acid Free serve two different purposes but I don't remember what.

I use the "Make it Acid Free" on tickets and some of the other memorabilia.

I agree with Linda - I would not use the packing tape in my scrapbooks. I've seen old boxes just a few years old where it was used and it is brownish/yellow and no long sticking. In fact it gets very brittle. It ages like the old scotch tape.

flhomeschoolmom
Resident
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Henri Jean

I saw the packaging tape one demonstrated on YouTube. I've not actually used it myself for LO's, but my boys have. But their LO's don't really count I don't suppose as they are for school purposes, and not their yearbooks. Well, some of their stuff ends up in their yearbooks, but usually just a scanned copy.

I have used magazine clippings, and even newspaper clippings in previous lo's. And since my family has dealt with a home fire, a tornado, and multiple moves, I simply make a habit of photographing or scanning ALL of my LO's now. That way, if I loose them, I still atleast have a back up. I've lost things in the home fire and the tornado that can never be replaced and their are no backups of. It was a hard lesson learned.

HappyCat
Tenant
HappyCat

Thanks for all of your input, ladies! I have so many new ideas now.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to HappyCat

None of those products will make the magazine last longer though...the paper is not meant to last. You can perhaps stop the acid from traveling but you won't change the composition of the paper. Also I agree that we have no way of knowing how long those sprays work.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to tinacome

Another alternative would be to color-copy them onto acid-free paper - if you have an Archiver's store near you, they'll do it.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

Hey guys, I used to use it until I read on a message board quite a few people said it discoloreded their items years later in their books. They also said you had to reapply it every few yrs or it would be gone. I have this written in my binders that are still packed from the move. I forget what color Archival mist turned. I will find it if I can.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to aquabunny

That's what I do as I said above. I don't use the original, I copy the document, newspaper articles or microfiche from the library by scanning it. Then, using white or buff scrapbooking paper I print it. IT'S actually better than the original. No need for archival mist which is expensive and doesn't last forever. I think if you wanted it to look glossy like a magazine you could use photo paper.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics